1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble finding tutorials on the barrel link but I did read an old post from John Travis about the subject.

So, let’s just say you’re having problems with 3 point jams and you’ve read some how-I-did it article on the subject and it recommends using a shorter barrel link. Even though you have no idea what you’re doing, you get a barrel link that is 2 thousandth’s of an inch shorter than what you had.

You install the link, and...completely hypothetical here...without knowing the technical details of what you just did, you go shoot the gun 150 rounds... wadcutters, ball, JHP’s, all kinds of stuff, and the pistol now just flat out RUNS. No more 3 point jams. You can get even grip the pistol with your thumb and two fingers, limp wrist the hell out of it, and it still runs. Turn it upside down and fire off 8 rounds while limp wristing... still just RUNS while the action is full of soot from shooting nasty old wadcutters.

So, here is my question to this hypothetical: what would concern you? What would you be looking for? How do you know that the link is close enough to the correct length where it’s not putting too much stress on the slide stop pin as it arcs around the barrel lug in an out of battery?

links or videos would be great if someone doesn’t feel like writing an essay.

thanks

·
Christ is my front sight.
825 Posts
Fitting a link is a bit of a process. You need to check some things out to be sure you're not damaging the gun. You should measure the lower lug height from the edge of the link pin hole to the top of the foot surface. Use the link pin that best approximates that measurement and error on the link that is shorter, not longer. You also need to check to see how much barrel lockup you have and measure that to ensure you have the appropriate lockup. Too much is bad, as is too little. There are some other things too but I'd start there. Good luck!

Search this site for the "barrel fit challenge" post. Lots of good info there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would not do it without some measurements. How much lock up? How thick is the feet from the link pin hole to the place the pin rides? Same question as above not worded as well.

What size is your slide stop pin?

Can you push the barrel down when it’s in battery?
David

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the recoil spring plug out and left the SS pin in with the arm dangling down...

In battery: arm swings freely.

slide all the way to the rear: arm swing freely.

With the barrel out of battery and resting on the frame bed, and putting moderate pressure to keep the barrel firmly on the frame bed... arm has very slight tension.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds perfect out of battery.

A shorter link will interfere with the barrel going all the way back against the VIS or Bow tie.

Perhaps asking about the 3
Point jam would be a good way to start over.

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it’s hitting the frame bed... not sure if it’s hitting the VIS. I know it’s within the width of a price of paper.

I have a lot of research and learning to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.