1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Double Secret Banned
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
61D355DA-DF9D-4B76-BA46-9AE3AA2D1182-352-00000058432483CC.jpeg

Such a great design. A grip screw is used to secure the toolhead to the bushing and makes removing even staked on bushings easy.

Very well thought out. Saved me the hassle of the other methods for removing stubborn bushings and possibly horking up the threads in the frame.

·
Dremel jockey
4,394 Posts
I need to try one of these!
My standard is the sleeved driver, with or without heat, as sold by Brownells.
If that does not get them out, I go to the Deadly Vise-Grips!
And when that doesn't work, I set the frame up on the mill and machine them out.
Recent Colts have SEVERELY staked bushings. I'd guess one or more of the assemblers has a heavy hammer or a STRONG arm!
Myself, I see ZERO need for staking. This is the 22nd century and we have access to thread locking compounds that are MORE than up to the task of securing a fine threaded detail.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,868 Posts
I own the challis tool also, It's so nice I can't wait for any new guys and the chance to use it ;)

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I need to try one of these!
My standard is the sleeved driver, with or without heat, as sold by Brownells.
If that does not get them out, I go to the Deadly Vise-Grips!
And when that doesn't work, I set the frame up on the mill and machine them out.
Recent Colts have SEVERELY staked bushings. I'd guess one or more of the assemblers has a heavy hammer or a STRONG arm!
Myself, I see ZERO need for staking. This is the 22nd century and we have access to thread locking compounds that are MORE than up to the task of securing a fine threaded detail.
I used it on two of my Colt Commanders.
One .45 and the other a 9mm. On one the bushings weren't staked yet on the other they were. The Challis tool removed them with ease. Best $20 you'll ever spend.

Pics here in this review I did.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=565009&highlight=Challis

·
We Are!
3,035 Posts
Ditto the above good comments re: Challis - great products!

Reactions: Greg45acp

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
and what does this add to the gun? what problem is being solved here?
Alright. I tried to help. I gave you a direct and definitive answer to your specific question.

I know what it does, as does everyone else in this thread. You will be better suited to google it and figure it out for yourself.

·
Get off my lawn...
15,317 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright. I tried to help. I gave you a direct and definitive answer to your specific question.

I know what it does, as does everyone else in this thread. You will be better suited to google it and figure it out for yourself.
wow. so helpful. so basically you come here to show off what you know and not really to help. got it.
seriously, what is the point in you guys being on here if your answer to anything that requires you to explain anything is "google it"???

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Awesome write up, 7.62!
Thanks. For such a simple tool and for as many who have bragged about it I found the 1911 forum lacking in a simple review/tutorial thread on it.

Like I said in the review 'did I need it?' No.
'Did it improve function of the guns?' No
But us boys and their toys like to tinker, mod and mentally feel like things are superior after doing so.
And since everything together was only like $60 I figured heck why not. As I was doing it a few things came up so I figured why not just take pics and make a tutorial/review for future use? As seen in the thread the 9mm bushings were staked in with a prominent X. I don't really know of anything that would remove them so easily and so mentally stress free? Not to mention the reverse is true. Using the 7/32 socket I put the new bushing in it and having a larger piece in my hand it was much easier to get the new ones started into the frame.
The Challis bushing 'system' is now so well known and respected that every new Wilson comes with them already in the gun, O rings and all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts