The Devil Drill 666

Discussion in 'Training' started by Greg45acp, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016

We did this one in the Vickers class I took last year. (Your buddy setup your mags while your back was turned)

Fun drill! I passed (and I'll admit I had a hell of a run to do so).

2. 45ACP_ray

45ACP_ray Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2015
    This looks like a good and tough drill, might give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing.

-Ray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Don't know how many have noticed this, but if you watch the slo mo portion closely, Larry is taking his finger completely off of the trigger between shots. Bill Wilson does the same thing in his drills. So much for the need to hold the trigger back and use a "short reset" to achieve speed.

UBOATDOC, Josh_Putman and Greg45acp like this.
  4. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    Riding the reset will only slow you down.

5. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    It might make sense to those shooting a Glock or other similar pistols that would otherwise have very long pre-travel triggers - read striker-fired pistols - but it doesn't really affect how rapidly a hammer-fired SA pistol can be effectively fired. If you're really focusing on your front sight throughout the firing and follow through phase there is plenty of time to release and reset for the next shot with a 1911 or other hammer fired pistol. I've tried both techniques and settled on the Bill Wilson and Larry Vickers method - several years ago.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  6. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Took a LV class last summer. He could not express enough how much he hates “pinning the trigger”. My son does it, Glock owner, and LV was all over him. I tried it one time at an indoor range with a 1911 that had a really good trigger. I stopped doing it when I put the second round in the ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Cool drill. I was taught 'riding the reset'. Pretty much stopped it after watching Bill Wilson slapping the hell out of the trigger. I think I shoot better just pulling the dang trigger! I love/hate someone loading my mags! Great practice though!

8. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Tried that today. That is a tough drill. Fastest I could do it from a draw with all rounds on target was just under 8 secs. I could get all 6 rounds on target in a little over 4 seconds without a reload, so I guess I have to get my reload speed under 2 seconds.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    ronin11 and Greg45acp like this.
  9. Josh_Putman

Josh_Putman Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I tried this today. Stunk it up, too. I had a few shots outside and a time just shy of 8 seconds.

First time doing reloads with my new M&P also, so that didn't help matters any. Gotta do a bunch of dry fire on that, figuring out if I want to slingshot it or use the slide stop.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

ronin11 likes this.
  10. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    The drill is very doable.

The key, for me, is to forget about the time limit and just shoot "your game".
    By breaking down what you're doing;
    1st shot draw-1.5 sec.+,
    5 rds. (as example) to slide lock 1.5 sec.,
    reload/shoot one- 2.5 sec., you have money to spare.

The problem occurs (for me) if I blow the reload (which I've down 100K times) worrying about the TIME.

We shot this yesterday.
    I was under 6 sec (barely), cold. :)

ronin11, 1911 dawg and Whiten like this.
  11. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Some people can slap the trigger and shoot quickly & accurately, most can’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    Vickers really stresses reloading with the 1911 since it carries half the rounds of most other combat pistols.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted