1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I was looking back on the "What's your latest "impulse buy" . . . . . " thread and saw the original photos in post #1 I took of my Ruger SR1911-10mm.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/whats-your-latest-impulse-buy.49941/

Wow, I'm not sure I would buy it again today looking like that. I've been tweaking it a bit over the past year and a half of owning it, and here is how she looks today.

TRUST ME, I am not finished. Still in "contemplation mode" are the following:

• Front strap texturing
  • Rear sight "improvements"
  • Maybe some @Steve Owens beautification on the slide, if I can afford him, and he has time for the Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Anyway, onto the photos . . . .

Ruger SR1911-10mm as I got it (from post #1 of the thread above):

Wood Gun Brown Firearm Photograph

Wood Brown Gun Firearm White

How it looks today . . . . . .

Gun Product Firearm Photograph Trigger

Gun Brown Product Firearm White

Metal Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Iron Composite material

Gun Firearm White Trigger Black

Metal Toy Brass Steel Synthetic rubber

I thought it might be nice to see other members "BEFORE & AFTER" photos . . . .

Happy smiffin gents . . . . .!

Z

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Brown Gun Textile Firearm Trigger
Gun Everyday carry Trigger Tan Gun accessory
Amazing transformation @ZoidMeister! I did not know you had one of these. I am no where near as talented or trusting of my skills to even attempt the work you have done. I give you major kudos for that and am truly envious.

Mine was done up by @Josh Hamilton and I am very happy with it so far but am interested in changing a few things as well. What are you thinking for sights? The only ones I could find are by Harrison, I may go that route. I may also add a SI magwell in the future

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 391393 View attachment 391395 Amazing transformation @ZoidMeister! I did not know you had one of these. I am no where near as talented or trusting of my skills to even attempt the work you have done. I give you major kudos for that and am truly envious.

Mine was done up by @Josh Hamilton and I am very happy with it so far but am interested in changing a few things as well. What are you thinking for sights? The only ones I could find are by Harrison, I may go that route. I may also add a SI magwell in the future

The Harrison rear sights were my thoughts as well. I tend to stay in the lane of what I can (mostly) do myself.

Now that Hamilton Ruger is just stunning! Someday my friend, someday . . . . .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. John Harrison’s fixed replacement for the Ruger adjustable is the ONLY aftermarket sight available for these right now. Ruger decided to use a proprietary cut. In fact JM44s was the model/fitting dummy for the Harrison prototype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
The Harrison rear sights were my thoughts as well. I tend to stay in the lane of what I can (mostly) do myself.

Now that Hamilton Ruger is just stunning! Someday my friend, someday . . . . .
As is the display stand it is on!

let me know your thoughts if you go the Harrison route and I will as well

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. John Harrison’s fixed replacement for the Ruger adjustable is the ONLY aftermarket sight available for these right now. Ruger decided to use a proprietary cut. In fact JM44s was the model/fitting dummy for the Harrison prototype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting fun fact that I did not know!

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As is the display stand it is on!

let me know your thoughts if you go the Harrison route and I will as well

Probably pull the trigger on one of those next week. I need to get a few more parts from John as well.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hi,
I wonder if Ruger and Caspian are using the same castings???
Is there a relationship there?

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At what point are we not “bubbas” any more?

Awesome question, and one I've been pondering for quite a while . . . . .

I guess when we gets "paid" . . . . .

Either that or when a notable "non-bubba" smiff complements your work . . . . . .

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am pretty sure all u .s .a. cast frames come from ruger . pine tree castings there may be a few smaller companies but investment castings from ruger are more than likely what any of the bigger name brands use or rebrand.
Hi,
I wonder if Ruger and Caspian are using the same castings???
Is there a relationship there?

·
The Tinker
4,255 Posts
I guess we need to compile a list of approved “non-bubbas” to petition for approving comments. ;)
I prefer the term amateur gunsmith, as I have actually met and witnessed the work of a few real 'bubbas', and I'd like to think that my work is just a tad better than that.

And no, The ZoidMaster's nor anyone else's work I've seen here even comes close to that category. :eek: :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bubba ' hack job.
Shadetree' workable.
Amateur' pretty nice.
Gunsmith' smooth oparator.
Artisan ' perfection almost obtained

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I am pretty sure all u .s .a. cast frames come from ruger . pine tree castings there may be a few smaller companies but investment castings from ruger are more than likely what any of the bigger name brands use or rebrand.
Hi,
Don't forget "Darsan" a S.Korean company.
The Internet scuttlebutt was saying quite a few of the bigger name commercial makers were using their frames slides and barrels???
Of course you get no info from these actual companys!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts