1911 Firearm Addicts banner

The Elephant in the Room

6800 Views 143 Replies 71 Participants Last post by  Haz-mat
Have the classified come to a screeching halt with stuff not selling ??

Is the recession here ? Are people stacking cash? Has inflation finally caught up to the consumer, especially retirees?

See less See more
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Good question. For me, the answer is simple. I can't write checks! :D

New thumb joint. Can't shoot for a couple of months.
See less See more
  • Haha
  • Wow
You still got another good hand, stop your belly aching.
  • Haha
I seem to be doing okay selling stuff. Most aren't listed on the board but rather to Addicts that are looking for something. The buyers apparently feel that the prices are fair for nice products.
  • Haha
  • Love
I seem to be doing okay selling stuff. Most aren't listed on the board but rather to Addicts that are looking for something. The buyers apparently feel that the prices are fair for nice products.
Maybe that's the problem, some sellers still think this is government - stimulus flush 2021
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
We could talk about 9mm vs 45 ACP, oil vs grease or commander vs government if you prefer
  • Haha
  • Sad

What?.............. you don't like elephants in a room?

See less See more
  • Haha
  • Love
I just closed a deal with Raylan………
But yes…..slowing down and mostly satisfied with what I have. Retirement mode engauged
Gun sales have always been cyclical, the last few years have distorted the norm. In 2010 you could not give guns away. I bought a 95% Freedom Arms 83 in 454 for $800. It had been on another forum for month's and was on about page 6 of the classifieds when I contacted the seller and made a deal. In 2017 I bought a Wilson Combat CQB that was 10 months old and as new for 30% off what the seller paid for it. It had been on GunBroker for a month with no bids, the seller relisted it with a lower opening price. I was the only bidder.
Reactions: 3
Stuff is selling, lower end guns and guns with a reasonable price. However, some people seem to overvalue their guns and upgrades, just because smiths raised their prices doesn't mean your pistol is worth more, it is worth what people will pay. I bought a Valor recently, I have bought more local, good prices. I think about 6 guns in 2 months, 1 one here. 2 with an Addict, outside the forum like the @TheCollector said, there are deals going on people are not aware of.
I put a few handguns on consignment at a local shop mid-February. They all sold by April. Nothing high end.
Brought a few more last week. They said it was pretty slow for them.
I'm still buying myself, but really shopping for best price. Wasn't planning on it, but a great deal came along for a nib Les Baer and I jumped. Have a Staccato on order. After that, I really don't need or want anything else.
At least that's what I'm telling myself!
While I've only been on this board for a few months, it sure seems like it has slowed. During the first month or so the speed at which many things sold reminded me of an auction vibe.
For me it is a couple of things :
Everything cost more

I am starting to prepare for a sharp downturn

Prices on pistols have risen to a point where I question the value proposition, that said I have been extremely tempted by some offerings in our ads lately I mean nail biting hide my wallet tempting.
I scooped up a bunch of pistollast year so my gun fund has moved over to my training fund .
Seeing more of a value in increasing skillset via software upgrade because my hardware is certainly not holding me back at matches etc.

I dont collect and I see those that do have no problem spending $12k on a pistol that has been whispered on by someone desired .

New money seems to be transitioned to the 2011 platform via Atlas ,Infinity etc .

Middle class is taking a hit with price increases / inflation problems .
My .02 and things as I see them . I think we get to a point to where you have to ask yourself - why the heck am I buying yet another 1911 in 5” etc when I have a stack of em I dont shoot 🤣 ?

I want to downsize to a couple carry pistols and a couple comp pistols . Maybe then I can afford an infinity 🤩
See less See more
I am trying not to buy more guns than what I have coming…for the following reason 🤣🤣

See less See more
  • Haha
  • Love
Maybe buying (generally) has become more selective and focused on certain types and tiers of guns
It certainly seems to have slowed down in my opinion. The rapidity at which many items sold within the first month or two gave me the impression of an auction.
Reactions: 1
What?.............. you don't like elephants in a room?
Had a close friend. His Mom was a little overboard on the Elephant thing.
We sat in her living room and counted 1100 elephants.
Any Elephant with its trunk raised had to be facing east.

As far as guns selling, it seems the ones that are priced right sell.
There may be a little hesitancy due to a couple of bad sales/purchases.

As far as the economy, if the market averages 10% and you have a couple of years that were 2-3 times that, you have to have some bad years to get back to the historical average.
Inflation? You ever see prices go back down? Only place the does that is Walmart, they jack the price up for a week, then "Roll Back" the prices.

Recessions are seen in the rearview mirror.
They won't call it one until it's been 2 qtrs.

The stock market turned a corner back in Oct.
It's not doing great, but it's not taking the losses it was.

That completes my Bona Fide free analysis.
See less See more
I just bought a couple of guns & a holster from the classifieds, but yes - I was specifically looking for the one...the other two I just couldn’t pass up!
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 144 Posts