close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Gold Bead Dilemma?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jst1tym, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Here's my question that I need a little advice on..I have an emp that I wish to install a gold bead frt and a 10-8 rear. As it's getting to be a hassle to send the whole pistol in, can I just send the slide in to make it simple getting it shipped home to my doorstep. The dilemma is that I understand an option is to have the front tritium tapped out and a gold bead installed, is there enough room to tap the small front sight blade for a gold bead?

Additionally, if I do just send the slide in, they can install the 10-8 rear, but without the whole pistol, they cannot test fire to sight it in. So I guess that I'd have to sight it in and lock it down correct? I'm not too sure what is the best way to go about this, any suggestions and/or recommendations?

I suppose I can just call the custom shop on Monday and see what they recommend also but maybe somebody here has a better idea or experience with a similar situation..Thanks!

2. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    what shop are you talking about? I had Novak's do a wide notch blank rear and a brass bead front, sent them the whole gun. I have heard with them that sending the slide only, that folks have gotten back unquestionably dead-on installation(s).

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    if your gun shoots correctly now, they just need to replace the sights with the correct sight heights, which shouldn't change the POI.

if you are sending it to the SACS, they can send a call tag for the complete gun and it can be shipped back to your doorstep.

4. Lordofbarbeque

Lordofbarbeque New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Just curious. Why are you so set on on gold bead front sight? Have you shot a pistol with a bead sight on it?

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    because he has aging eyesight and the factory tritium dot is small. The next closest thing would be a tritium front with white outline.

also if he doesn't need the tritium, then the gold bead would be a great choice.

6. hogrider05

hogrider05 Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I had SACS do that exact set up on my loaded. Just sent the slide in, its a lot cheaper for shipping.
    The sights are dead on.

7. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    230gr, Last hour or so I checked the Novak site and checked on their product lists and shipping descriptions w/slide and w/pistol. Sadly in the product lists, I think I'd much prefer the 10-8's on the rear instead of theirs. I read up on their shipping options and I've not made up my mind to send the whole pistol yet or just the slide. Sending the pistol does cost much more because of the overnight shipping requirement, but sending the whole pistol affords them to sight it in at the same time for a price..

lordofbarbeque, Quack hit it on the nail. The stock nightsight is much too small for me these days. I have bad neurologic pain in my left eye from a heath situation and age, and cannot really focus hard for extended periods without incurring a lot of pain. The gold bead seems to be very visable and more comfortable for me to pick up on without a focus strain.

Quack, I think that I just may do the SA option. I'm putting in a call to Deb on Monday and ask a few questions. I know in the past I think that you did this option to a couple of your pistols and they had a great looking sight picture!

When I checked the Novak site, they do have a great looking gold bead frt sight, just the rears do not appeal so much. Coincidently, they have a thread going on exactly over at SigF that is addressing the gold bead question. Some of the pictures posted of the gold bead looked pretty good.

Thanks all for the imput, very helpful, thanks!

Thanks hogrider, I read your post after posting my reply quickly..I think that is the best option..

Here's the ongoing post http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1870003562

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
  9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    i prefer to have mine Bedazzled :lol:

10. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I've got a gold bead front sight on one of mine, it helps a lot.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I really like a gold or brass bead for carry. I had Jay drill the front sight on Babs and insert a brass bead (peened rod). It really picks up the light. These folks hav nice stuff.. Ron

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

12. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Definitely go with the gold bead!! The day tritium helps light up a room at night is the day ill start putting it on my gun!

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Check this one.. It's the SDM.. Ron

[​IMG]

14. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for the link Ron, I bookmarked the site into my favorites for some further reading and exploration! I liked what I looked at quickly, and the pricing seemed fair too..

Woops, got my quote wrong..anyway you know what I was quoting from.

Thanks for all imput folks, I have some great options to follow up on :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  15. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Ron, I further browsed the site and really like what I saw. It seems that they can even serrate the rear of slide @ 40lpi to match their rear site. Need to ring them up also on Mon to ask a few questions, Thanks!

16. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    if you go to SDM, tell them that Joe Chambers sent you over, that might help you get them to do the work.

BTW, SDM is local to us in the Cleveland area :grin:

17. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Don...did you gold bead any of yours yet?

18. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    nope. ordered 2 sets of FO right now.

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    They have almond eye versions..... Egg shaped rather than round. hahahahahahaha... Joking of course.... Ron

20. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I want to try out the brass bead front on my next gun.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted