1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned about 5-6 kimbers and always have been good guns in my book. From 900-2300 dollar kimbers. I just don’t understand why they get such hate, I’ve had better kimbers than colts and springfields, is it really just a brand bashing or has some of y’all experienced real issues with owning one.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They really shouldn't get hate. They should just be recognized for what they are.. and aren't.
They make good quality guns. The fit and finish on my new aegis bobtail is probably almost as tight as my Dan Wesson and I was surprised. I’ve held many colts that were loose fitting.

· Registered
256 Posts
I have owned a few Kimber's and currently own 2. I cannot find anything to complain about with any of them. I have heard all the Kimber bashing and I just smile and continue to shoot just fine with mine. I have also heard the same about Springfield Armory and my Springfield is one of my most accurate 1911's.

Trigger Air gun Wood Line Gun barrel

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned a few Kimber's and currently own 2. I cannot find anything to complain about with any of them. I have heard all the Kimber bashing and I just smile and continue to shoot just fine with mine. I have also heard the same about Springfield Armory and my Springfield is one of my most accurate 1911's.

View attachment 1182716
I recently picked up the aegis pro in 45. It’s a great shooter.

· Registered
2,422 Posts
I have a 5" blue Raptor and a 4" CDP, while I'm not a big fan of the Swartz safety, I've had no issues with my Kimbers. Fit and finish are excellent, and they are accurate as anything else I own and even more so than a few. They put out a nice product at a fair price.

· Registered
222 Posts
I had one of the early Kimbers (before they were called "Ones") for years, and it is one of my real regrets to have sold it. Many a rabbit lost it's head to that gun, and it was completely reliable through who knows how many thousands of rounds, "all" temperature extremes, and shot anything (most well!). As has already been said, I've had Springers and Colts that could not keep up.
Since then I've had two more, one really pretty one that neither Kimber nor me could make run. The other I just didn't have the patience for, but it was not a well-finished gun.
That said, I've shot around folks who have great luck with them (all through the years). We tend to forget that these are just tools, and some are better than others (even from the same bench!), and they must be fully understood and vetted to be used properly. I'd never be comfortable looking down the barrel of a Kimber!
That said, after dabbling a good bit with higher end guns, I don't know why one would want one but for their own nostalgia's sake. Like my regret at letting my first go.

· Registered
118 Posts
I bought a custom 2 new about 10-15 yrs ago that made 2 trips back to Kimber and still could not run on 230 ball. So that made me snub kimber up until last year when i come across a LW model in a local shop and broke weak. So i buy it bring it home it was a jammomatic as well but i was able to fix it with an extractor tune thanks to some post on here. Long story short i sold it and never will own another kimber. But with that being said i have seen others owned by friends that was 100% reliable from day one just my luck i guess.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
I have owned quite a few and liked them for what they are. 20 some odd years ago, Kimber came along and was the only production 1911 competition Colt had. Folks flocked to buy Kimbers because of the multiple models and upgrades offered. Kimber offered custom features on a production gun at what was, then, a pretty high price. Doller for feature they blew Colt out of the water. Here is the problem....Kimber was swamped with want and production struggled to keep up. At that time Kimber was regarded as a fine maker and you were lucky to own one.....then the QC problems started. They eventually got corrected, but IMO the bad taste in some folks mouth never got washed out. This was also about the time the interwebs was the hottest thing going and every gun forum got pounded by a ticked off Kimber owner. The backlash is still felt today, but times have changed a billion fold since then. Kimber is one of many players in a competitive game. They are still playing, so something is working.

First 9mm 1911 I owned was a Kimber and it convinced me I wanted a Wilson, EB, NHC, etc... in 9. I have no complaints on Kimber myself.

· Premium Member
967 Posts
Hate is such a strong word. I think like and dislike are more like it for most firearms (at least where Addicts go). My first 1911 was a Kimber and it served me well and opened the door to 1911s.

I don’t own any Kimbers at this point because I like different guns more. It does not mean that I hate them. Not quite same-same from my POV.

· Registered
278 Posts
Kimber earned some of the anger. The original pistols were of high quality and made with good materiel. Then Ron Cohen took over the company, and customers started having issues. Things I have personally seen include rusted barrels upon receipt of shipment at the FFL from Kimber, the external extractors that did not extract, Swartz firing pin safety timing issues, and guns shorter than five inches that did not run. Add Dennis in Customer Service, and people's blood pressure spiked.

The pistol in my holster right now has a Kimber frame, slide, and barrel. The rest of the parts were replaced. That pretty much sums up my opinion of Kimber.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
i have a Kimber Custom II.

it was having some issues, so i called them, and sent it in for work. turn around time for what was done, including shipping both ways was a little over 1 week.

it was shipped on june 15th, and returned to me June 23rd.

fitted a new trigger,
reamed the barrel's chamber,
adjusted the extractor,
installed new slide stop,
polished feed ramp, firing pin housing, breech face, and refinished the barrel and they went and cleaned and lubed it.

it has been a great 1911

· Premium Member
879 Posts
Kimbers are just too shiny for me. Have you seen the Rapide, BlackIce, amethyst, and others? If you like them then good on you! I have a 4” K6S that has an excellent trigger. All the slide cuts and colors don’t fit my likings.

· Registered
600 Posts
I shot 2 Kimbers from 2 separate owners - both picky with their maintenance and oiling. I only fired 2 mags each but the one jammed twice and the other jammed 3 times within those 2 mags. I believe all failures were failure to feed, if I remember correctly. The same guns jammed in other hands as well.

I know for sure it was not a limp wristing issue since I own several 1911s and also I've heard that 1911s are heavy enough to the point where limp-wristing is nearly impossible and their own weight is enough to cycle the gun.

I think a lot of opinions are based what is read and word of mouth vs actual ownership. That said, the issue that I saw with each of those guns leads me to have no interest in owning one.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts