1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 145 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
I’ve owned about 5-6 kimbers and always have been good guns in my book. From 900-2300 dollar kimbers. I just don’t understand why they get such hate, I’ve had better kimbers than colts and springfields, is it really just a brand bashing or has some of y’all experienced real issues with owning one.
I was in retail for years. Sold a LOT of Kimbers and the thing is....they are hit and miss. You can get a great one or you can get a lemon. Much more so than with any other 1911 brand. When they work, they work well. But when they don't, they can sometimes go back for warranty work two or three times. It seems to just be a QC thing.

· Premium Member
668 Posts
I've owned three, one of which I got a few days ago. Still have two.
My first 1911, which is a reliable Custom 2 I bought used is the semi-auto I shoot more accurately than any I own.
The second Kimber is a LW that I traded. It really did take close to 500 rounds to feed reliably. Just fine after that.
When I decided to get a 9mm 1911 I went with a new Aegis Elite Custom. She's a looker. I have yet to shoot it.
Any gun/machine purchase is a crap shoot, imho. I like the odds with Kimber in the 1K price range. Resale value sucks.
YMMV.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
My Gen 1 Kimber Ultra Carry was a great shooter. I carried it for years before I took a dive into the semi-custom world. After one range trip with my Ed Brown Kobra Carry, the Kimber felt like hot garbage in my hand. I was pretty much ruined from that point forward.

· THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
4,203 Posts
My first 1911 was a Kimber Ultra Aegis- 9mm in 2007. I spent almost a year deciding on my EDC purchase. It has been almost flawless: it doesn't like Remington ammo. Everything else is good. It's plenty accurate and reliable. I have not shot it in a while because I neglected to change the recoil spring regularly. It now has a small crack in the frame. Maybe I'll put a few rounds through it again for old times' sake View attachment 1183038 View attachment 1183039
sake.
Not very confidence inspiring.

· Registered
142 Posts
Doc, please don't get the wrong idea about my Ultra Aegis. I shot the crap out of it for at least ten years before I noticed the crack, so it has a high round count. I guess the aluminum frame couldn't take the neglect. As for the ammo issue, it was no big deal. I found it didn't like Remington FMJ. It shot everything else, including 147 grain Hydra-shoks.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
The early ones were revolutionary.
From the factory they had all the stuff you put on a custom gun for IPSC.
things it took Colt 20 years to do MAYBE less

Then the succumbed, to political correctness and made the ll, schwartz safety guns.
Not something I want to own (personal opinion )

10-12 years ago from what I was told at a trade event.
S&W stopped making their frames and slides, not 100% sure who was making them!
Started seeing rust inside their SS guns NIB
Obvious the quality of the stainless had changed.

Recently noticed some of their line "no schwartz safety" GREAT NEWS
Over all quality has been consistent with a 7-1200 dollar product in recent years, IMO
Associates have bought them recently and seem happy!

Short history of what I've seen while part of the LGS industry and competitive shooting for the last 45 + or - years. FWIW

Not a hater, just not a liker!

Reactions: rustyaa55

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Thats a beautiful Kimber...Please school me on the Swartz safety..how does it work. ? I have heard it dosn,t effect trigger pull like Colts series 80.
Schwartz's have a fairly notorious "glitch" in them.
When the grip safety is depressed just the right amount
It will allow the hammer to fall but not disengage the firing pin block

I've seen this problem and it's a timing issue with the system
It seems to re occur with wear

· Registered
9,931 Posts
guns look nice. seem to shoot well.

poor CS and almost ZERO warranty--they make you pay to return a defective product to be fixed.

better makers stand by their products-usually for life

· Registered
122 Posts
Great thread and responses. Have read bashing of multiple manufacturers that i own several examples of each. Wondered if i was the luckiest sob on planet NOT to have any trouble with them. But i think NO. Each has been reliable with fit, finish and accuracy appropriate to the brand niche and price. The available brands and option choices make these the good old days.

· Registered
2,364 Posts
guns look nice. seem to shoot well.

poor CS and almost ZERO warranty--they make you pay to return a defective product to be fixed.

better makers stand by their products-usually for life
I guess it's like anything else.... Experiences vary. There was a scratch on my Custom II grip that i didn't notice until i got home. CS was very nice and good to me. I had a new set of grips in5 days. They even sent me a kimber mouse pad, and t-shirt that was way too big for me so i gave it to my Brother. And called later to make sure i got them..

· Known Agitator
4,169 Posts
Thats a beautiful Kimber...Please school me on the Swartz safety..how does it work. ? I have heard it dosn,t effect trigger pull like Colts series 80.
I am not the best at explaining it, but it works off the grip safety, not the trigger. I had mine removed. I usually hold the frame like I would shoot when putting the slide on the gun. This causes part of that safety system to block the slide. My fault, not the safety, just don’t like it!

Just seems to me that it is a solution in search of a problem. Just my personal thoughts, some like additional safety stuff.

· Registered
713 Posts
In theory, the Series 80 system makes it harder to get a good trigger on a Colt. In fact, my Series 80 Colt, with the system in place, has one of the best triggers of any pistol I own.

41 - 60 of 145 Posts