1911 Firearm Addicts banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I have an early 25XX Clackamas .45 that's always shot well for me, and no, it's not for sale. I also have a Stainless Target II that originally was a .38 Super. When I got it (second-hand) the bore was badly rusted. Kimber took it back on their dime, rebarreled it in 9mm and gave me 2 brand new magazines, all at no charge to me. This is the gun that sold me on 9mm caliber 1911s and it helped introduce many new shooters to the 1911 pistol.

· Registered
⭐️WC Compact CQB .45, M9, Ruger & Henry .44, Glock 23, KSG
1,345 Posts
The 1st 1911 I fired was a Kimber & it had 2 FTF out of as many mags. No hate - it was a rental at the range & I figured it just needed some TLC.

Doc, please don't get the wrong idea about my Ultra Aegis. I shot the crap out of it for at least ten years before I noticed the crack, so it has a high round count. I guess the aluminum frame couldn't take the neglect. As for the ammo issue, it was no big deal. I found it didn't like Remington FMJ. It shot everything else, including 147 grain Hydra-shoks.
Now the NHC I picked up from @Zif - that’s got the lightest trigger of the 3 1911s I’ve held. She’s a shooter!

Of the 2 biggest LGS here, one has a big Kimber stock, the other a relatively big Fusion stock. I’d be interested in seeing a side-by-side comparison...not that it would sway me to invest, but I’d be interested to see how one compared to the other.

· Cranky old curmudgeon
2,651 Posts
I won't have one because of the safety.

The K6 is the real deal. My only complaint is that I find it too light for full house loads. Bruising, brutal, harsh, numbing all come to mind. It is much less so on .38 Special +P. A real pussycat with standard pressure .38 Special. It is a tad overpriced, but then, most revolvers are these days.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I won't have one because of the safety.

The K6 is the real deal. My only complaint is that I find it too light for full house loads. Bruising, brutal, harsh, numbing all come to mind. It is much less so on .38 Special +P. A real pussycat with standard pressure .38 Special. It is a tad overpriced, but then, most revolvers are these days.
It’s terrible with full magnums. I traded for a 2inch and ended up getting rid of it. I’ll stick to my pre lock smiths when it comes to revolvers

· Registered
531 Posts
You really had to be on gun boards 20 years ago to fully appreciate it. Most of my dislike of the brand stems from getting into handguns around that time when Kimber was using external extractors. There was a noticeable difference in quality from “Gen 1” to the Ron Cohen, external extractor Schwartz guns. Prior to that, Kimber was the Dan Wesson of 1911s, when your other 1911 options were Springfield (the Loaded was the best-value 1911 at the time), Colt, and Les Baer. Kimber’s sharp drop in QC and CS made a lot of Springfield owners and opened the door for other manufacturers. I think they’ve settled into their niche now, although it’s a much more crowded field.

Now that the Springfield RO Operator has been discontinued, I’d buy a 10mm TLE/RL II if not for the Schwartz safety.

· Registered
713 Posts
My 2 have been solid, before and after they got upgraded. The tle pro had a 3-4 thousand rds through it before i got serious with it and replaced all internals with wc bulletproof parts, ball end cuts, serrations, and rd butt with new parkerizing. The aegis pro was fine for 200rds and then i gutted it for wc bulletproof parts, nhc magwell, serrations and ball end cuts.
Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Aviation

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
5 Posts
I’ve owned about 5-6 kimbers and always have been good guns in my book. From 900-2300 dollar kimbers. I just don’t understand why they get such hate, I’ve had better kimbers than colts and springfields, is it really just a brand bashing or has some of y’all experienced real issues with owning one.
I've always thought that the biggest, and perhaps only legitimate com-paint against them, is that they're over-priced., and if they work for you, then price is all relative.

· Registered
33 Posts
Shot quite a few Kimbers, still own an early one. Worked at gun store when the external extractor Kimbers came out. Absolute debacle. No one, including Kimber, could get them to run reliably. That said, Kimber never was intended to be a Wilson or equivalent. Kimber originally was a good, production gun that ran and had a lot of models with nice features. Too bad they ruined their own reputation.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a Kimber Raptor stainless full size in 45acp.. great shooting gun..never a hickup with Wilson mags...never tried the org. Kimber..Only issue I have is the sides of the slide and frame are high polished and a bitch to keep nice...shows every little mark...I'm thinking about cerakoting it or selling ..has about 200 rnds thru it...

· Registered
122 Posts
I have a Kimber Raptor stainless full size in 45acp.. great shooting gun..never a hickup with Wilson mags...never tried the org. Kimber..Only issue I have is the sides of the slide and frame are high polished and a bitch to keep nice...shows every little mark...I'm thinking about cerakoting it or selling ..has about 200 rnds thru it...
PRICE?

· Registered
21 Posts
I’ve owned about 5-6 kimbers and always have been good guns in my book. From 900-2300 dollar kimbers. I just don’t understand why they get such hate, I’ve had better kimbers than colts and springfields, is it really just a brand bashing or has some of y’all experienced real issues with owning one.
IMHO, they produce more than anyone so therefore have more complaints. And how folks in the web sure love to pile on when they know nothing about them personally. I've had a bunch of Kimbers. Only issue I've personally had could be traced to a bad magazine. I tend to use Wilson's for the most part so wasn't an issue for me. My only personal gripe was when they went to external extractors. I think they did have some issues with that initially and was a major contributing factor the the "hate" that still goes on today.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
IMHO, they produce more than anyone so therefore have more complaints. And how folks in the web sure love to pile on when they know nothing about them personally. I've had a bunch of Kimbers. Only issue I've personally had could be traced to a bad magazine. I tend to use Wilson's for the most part so wasn't an issue for me. My only personal gripe was when they went to external extractors. I think they did have some issues with that initially and was a major contributing factor the the "hate" that still goes on today.
I never bought, owned or shot a Kimber.. I was always a Colt guy… then a Wilson Combat guy,, then a Springfield 1911 guy… I have looked at custom Kimber’s out of the custom shop.. nice looking 1911’s.. I’d love to own one of them..,👍🇺🇸😍
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
1,450 Posts
The incredibly poor Colts of the 70-80's and beautiful advertising campaign (print) made Kimber desired,but poor performances are my recollection. I'm sure the guns made now are good to go.
I didn't have any issues with 1970-'80s Colts, but the Custom Shop Colt (Officer's Ultimate) I bought in the 90s was a horrible jam-o-matic.

· Registered
2,364 Posts
I didn't have any issues with 1970-'80s Colts, but the Custom Shop Colt (Officer's Ultimate) I bought in the 90s was a horrible jam-o-matic.
I dont think they are alot better now. The GC i just bought has an ok slide to frame fit, and a mushy / sloppy thumb safety. But it was the best of the 3 they had at the shop. I thought about calling them about the TS..but i works, and i,m hearing they are all like that.?

81 - 100 of 145 Posts