close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Missing Tool.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Earlsbud, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I have seen numerous tool lists posted on forums for beginners working on their own pistol, but I haven't seen mention of a tool that is crucial in working on a 1911. Maybe it's just me and I missed it. We can put together a kit with books, manuals, files, stones, gauges, jigs, and fixtures, but can you see what you're working on? Can you see angles on your sear, hammer hooks, and how smooth are the contact surfaces of the disco and the spring tips really? It's not just having enough magnification but eye relief. It's hard to stone something that has to be held 2mm's from the tip of your nose to stay in focus. I went the cheap route. Yep, Harbor Freight was good enough for this dabbler. There are a couple of choices. I like The head strap magnifier with the adjustable light. It comes with 1.2X, 1.8X, 2.5X, and 3.5X lenses.

[​IMG]

2. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    So true, when I was at Gunsmith class I was the youngest one there. I thought "man all these old farts have those weird magnifiers on" I thought they were pointless till my Dad gave me one to use when we were doing trigger work. I just shut up and pretty much stole his from him....lol

3. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
  4. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    I got him one with a light on it, he doesn't mind now

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted