1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little blocky looking, but it doesn't even need ports given it's heft. Might even pass for a small boat anchor. ;)

Took two attempts, but I'm upgrading my 10mm to a three-port comp. Same length as a long slide 1911 (6"). And yea, it's still a work in progress

IMG_0506.jpg

Attachments

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work!!!!
Thanks Chuck! :)

I'll tell ya though, this free-form hand work/profiling is getting harder and harder for me to do. Between the loss of fine motor skills and eyesight, I'm about ready to stop building pistols and just shoot what I have and be done with it. :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Nah! Don't stop. Keep at it.
You're getting it done, we'll cheer you on!
Looks good so far !

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm thinking of putting a sight on the comp, and would like one of those Trijicon sights with the orange around the vial. Is there one made that is about .225–.250 tall (height above the slide)?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, those things are a hundred bucks!

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finished up blending the three-port comp, and re-cut the dust cover. Never really liked that angled cut anyway.

IMG_0511.jpg

Next will be a small front sight mounted on the slide instead of on the comp. I'm putting it on the slide because I coned a short 40 S&W barrel for those times when a slightly smaller pistol with a less powerful cartridge is desired. If I get tired of the 40 S&W cartridge, I can always ream the chamber for 10mm. We'll see.

IMG_0509.jpg

My 2011 isn't pretty, but it's functional. :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
i like it
Nice job . looking good!

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Way past not to shabby, looks real nice
I built a 9mm open gun with a 40 Limited gun top end a couple of years ago.
Caspian 5' slide, cut back to 4.350 bbl length and used an island bbl (W/O comp cuts) put the sight on the island because it doesn't move as much and I can track it through the whole cycle.
So I can truly related to your build
uspsa 5.jpg

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Way past not to shabby, looks real nice
I built a 9mm open gun with a 40 Limited gun top end a couple of years ago.
Caspian 5' slide, cut back to 4.350 bbl length and used an island bbl (W/O comp cuts) put the sight on the island because it doesn't move as much and I can track it through the whole cycle.
So I can truly related to your build
View attachment 457493
Very nice!

I built my share of USPSA open class hot-rods, but they were all 38 Super. USPSA didn't reduce the power factor requirements until after I stopped shooting. I did build a couple of light-weight Steel Challenge pistols, complete with titanium comps. What a pain those were to drill/bore! Machined nice though. :rolleyes:

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Got fat and stopped wanting to pick up brass so went to the 9 LOL

Your work is real nice and I'm looking forward to see further developments!

·
The Tinker
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I threw some cold blue on it to give it a little protection. The comp is finished, and the little silver piece near the muzzle is hopefully going to become my first attempt at a front sight for the slide. I want to try for that full-width/profiled look so the dovetail doesn't show as much. Shouldn't be too hard right?

IMG_0516.jpg

So now I have a 6" 3-port 10mm blaster, and a short-barreled 40 S&W for when I want to carry it a bit more discretely. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts