The new Glock carry hotness

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by stlgecko, Jan 18, 2019.

1. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I’ve owned a few Glocks in the past but had sold them all. The G43 was tempting a couple years ago when it was released, but it was just a hair too big for me to pocket carry. So I ended up buying a Kahr PM9 and it’s been good. Fast forward to the G43X announcement, now we’re talking! If I have to IWB carry a pistol then I want a solid amount of bullets in it. The 43X is exactly what I wanted.

So I picked it up today after work and it’s just seemingly great. The gun fits in my hand perfectly and all of my fingers fit great. The pistol is nice and thin, and also lightweight. The trigger is standard for a Glock, fairly short travel but snapping heavy break. For a carry pistol it’s just fine for me. The PVD slide finish is nicely done, we shall see how it wears over time in the kydex holster I have on order. Aesthetically the pistol is nice looking with the contrast of colors, and the front serrations are a nice usable and tactical touch.

I’ll be shooting it tomorrow if all goes as planned and I will post up my shooting impressions. For now here are a few pics inside and out.

9C7817D1-CA77-4C4D-AC53-2CD9A8AF451C.jpeg B6749637-125B-4B11-BE48-A769CAC216FC.jpeg 63AA98B5-6265-4A8B-B781-902ADE130AEC.jpeg CBEE60CA-A338-4B39-9587-AEAF164241FA.jpeg

2. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    Report: I started with a box of 50 115gr sellier and bellot. The target below is all different distances. I shot standing up, 2 handed and unsupported. Top left is 15’, top right is 21’, middle is 30’, bottom left is 45’ and bottom right is back to where I started at 15’.

9E790626-33B2-4450-BC8A-71BBD17B868C.jpeg

Then it was time for defense ammo. I loaded 4 rounds of sig performance hollow points and moved the target out to 75’. I was praying to hit at least 1 out four and to my pleasant surprise I hit 3 out of four.

1B5F9A8C-D35E-401A-BC8E-BF0EFB1C46ED.jpeg

I then shot 10 rounds of Speer gold dots and then 10 rounds of Remington defense ammo. ZERO malfunctions.

Shooting impressions: Very nice shooting gun with mild recoil. The recoil spring is quite heavy and I think that keeps the muzzle flip down. The only complaint I have is true for all glocks, the safe action trigger part is not very comfortable on the pad of my trigger finger. I won’t be shooting this gun often for leisure so it’s a moot point. At this point however I’m very pleased with this gun. The accuracy and shootabilty was very impressive for such a small pistol. This is a winner.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    monadh, Gerald D, Scaramouche and 8 others like this.

3. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    First one I have seen in the wild, congrats! Will be very interested in your feedback. Being in a restricted state this and the 48 are very appealing to me.

stlgecko likes this.
  4. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Interested in seeing how you like it compared to the PM9, how much bigger is it than the Kahr?

5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Purdy, but begging for some new sights ;)

Greg45acp, stlgecko and Guy Montag like this.
  6. ~JM~

~JM~ Wrinkled Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Saw a 43X yesterday. Looks nice!

Also looked at a Sig 365. They look nice too.

stlgecko likes this.
  7. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    B9FCE07D-56FC-4017-A87A-0722D8D16CEB.jpeg 83DCCD36-AD93-4412-9DF3-924833DC547F.jpeg

azpoolguy, Guy Montag and Jollyroger1 like this.
  8. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Welcome to beta testing 101.

Yes I know it's a Glock, but they seem to have a ton of issues with miniscule changes

monadh likes this.
  9. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    Post 2 updated with range report.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  10. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    They got a few in at work, (3 each) a 48 and a 43x both went to the rental counter. The 48 is comparable in size to a commander or compact, If I didn’t know any better I’d say with the intro of the G48, glock may be seeking to chase the 1911 9mm market, I know apples to oranges but size, capacity, shootability, ease of carry? It’s Not as elegant as a 1911 or as storied a history but it’s as slim as a 1911 it seems to have something going for it, add some styling from a renowned smith on this board? Hmm?
    On just first handling if it’s up to glock dependability, only minuses out of the box are good sights
    A smooth trigger face, and a tad better grip frame texture. Oh and add a dozen or so mags.
    Just another addicts 2cents of observation.

stlgecko likes this.
  11. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Nice, report and pics. Just became aware of this offering and like you, would prefer the size and capacity over the g43.

Thanks and go Cards!

stlgecko likes this.
  12. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm on the list at my local for a 43X as that extra grip will make it my 9mm range gun, I got rid of all my steel 9s since going to the dark side with 43s. The only steel 9 I sort of miss is the Colt Commander I sold, it had one of the best triggers I ever shot.

13. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    MOUCHE, I’m beginning to think your spending to much time in the desert heat. :eek::eek:

14. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I don’t understand. The original was too big and this one isn’t?

15. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    The desert heat hears him.

tac45 likes this.
  16. Gerald D

Gerald D Active Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Waiting to handle one but my EDC for the past few years is a Blue label 43 that I added night sights to, I've been pleased with it and carry a spare magazine, hard to beat for light and handy. I wear carpenter jeans most of the time and the 43 will drop in the right front pocket quite well.

stlgecko likes this.
  17. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    The 43 is to big for me to pocket carry, and it’s not useful IWB with its limited capacity and small grip (I know extended mags, but they never feel quite right to me.). So for a thin IWB pistol this 43x is what I’m looking for. Kahr PM9 is still the king of 9mm pocket pistols.

rod442 and Ethanol Red like this.
  18. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    The 43X is identical in size to the Kahr CW9, but holds 2 more rounds.

limbkiller likes this.
  19. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Oh, okay. Hadn’t heard of it yet. Sounds good. I love my Kahrs.

stlgecko likes this.
  20. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    In another year or so (fix the bugs) the 48 (the single stack 19) will probably follow me home.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted