1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My take is that it is a very bad idea for the customer but very good for the retailer. How many of us have replaced the barrel bushing 2-3 times? Well, I see nothing other then replacing the slide now when the accuracy starts to fade. I have not been able to field strip the bushing less 1911's and I refuse to purchase one to do so. I was thinking about selling my sub $$ 1911's and get into custom only 1911's but that's not going to happen.

I can take one of my PT1911 and make it just as accurate as Les Baer makes. lol, heavy words yes :grin: but I whole heartily believe it. Well Ladies and Gents, this is how I feel about it.

What do you think about it?

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
hummm, there are plenty of people that uses bull barrel 1911s in competitions. And those guys see A LOT of rounds.

More stress is put on the locking lugs than what the muzzle part of the barrel/slide sees. So I would be more worry about wearing out your locking lugs on either the slide or barrel, not the muzzle area.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think you understand what I'm talking about, the barrel bushing is the most important part of the 1911 as far as accuracy goes, now without the bushing the slide is taking its place. It has nothing to do with a bull barrel, I carry my officers model and it has a bull barrel but it also has a barrel bushing. If you ever pick up a Les Baer and rack the slide it is crazy tight. The tightness is related to the barrel to bushing fit and thats it.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
I understood what you're getting at. However, the tight barrel bushing is NOT the only thing that will yield a tight group. There are many factors that comes into play when fitting a barrel to the slide:
1) locking lugs engagement.
2) hood clearance
3) VIS contact
4) correct barrel link height
5) lower lug feet
6) bushing to barrel or barrel to slide.

My point is that your bushing is only one of those elements that plays a part in the accuracy of your gun. And more importantly, it's doesn't have that much stress place on it, when the slide unlocks and moves rearward. More stress is placed on the locking lugs that are locked together on top of the barrel and slide. So if you're worry about wearing out anything, it would be those areas.

The tightness on those Baers are due to fitments in these areas; barrel/bushing, slide/frame, and lock lugs.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understood what you're getting at. However, the tight barrel bushing is NOT the only thing that will yield a tight group. There are many factors that comes into play when fitting a barrel to the slide:
1) locking lugs engagement.
2) hood clearance
3) VIS contact
4) correct barrel link height
5) lower lug feet
6) bushing to barrel or barrel to slide.

My point is that your bushing is only one of those elements that plays a part in the accuracy of your gun. And more importantly, it's doesn't have that much stress place on it, when the slide unlocks and moves rearward. More stress is placed on the locking lugs that are locked together on top of the barrel and slide. So if you're worry about wearing out anything, it would be those areas.

The tightness on those Baers are due to fitments in these areas; barrel/bushing, slide/frame, and lock lugs.
I understand what you are saying, I removed a barrel bushing from a Baer and install a colt gold cup bushing and the tightness was gone, you could take your index finger and stick it in the barrel and wiggle it and you can see the play in the bushing, barrel and slide. I guarantee if there was a 1 1/2" 50yd guarantee on the pistol it was no longer there.

The pistol would slingshot but did it so silky smooth, I never felt one that smooth. the slide to frame did not have any friction at all. You know some pistols while in battery you can grab the rear of the slide and wiggle it; this was non-existent with the Baer. Do you think the bushing less pistols was a good idea?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya need tougher skin and learn the elders of the fourm they have been friends for years
read the rules, My skin is thick enough and I don't care how long they been friends, they can call each other on the phone or take it PM, that is what the PM is for.

·
Lurker 4 life
506 Posts
Uh oh new guy is angry... You dontwant to see him when he is angry.

In all fairness a good bull barrel is just as good as a good bushing barreled.

I like being able to replace a bushing though.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uh oh new guy is angry... You dontwant to see him when he is angry.

In all fairness a good bull barrel is just as good as a good bushing barreled.

I like being able to replace a bushing though.
what is your problem, yeah the new guy is mad, ok so what. if this is how most of this forum is then I will move along and find a forum with mature members.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts