The Obsolete 45 ACP.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mike A, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    WTF ?
    This guy is proposing that both the 1911 & the 45 ACP are Obsolete.
    I believe his thinking is sincerely flawed, & I just wonder what my fellow addicts think.
    If I am wrong. Just why is the 1911 pistol still being produced & copied today?
    From 1911 to 2018 this pistol is still the most popular pistol in the world.

I found this write up & was shocked to read the reasoning behind his assumption.
    Please read this with an open mind, but I'm willing to bet that most of you will see it as BULL.

http://emptormaven.com/2013/02/the-obsolete-45-acp/

2. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    beware of those who use muzzle energy figures to substantiate the stopping power of a cartridge

3. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Definition of obsolete
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1a: no longer in use or no longer useful an obsolete word

b: of a kind or style no longer current

From Merriam.

1911s and the 45 Auto cartridge are still in use, useful, and current. So .. neither is obsolete. Maybe “not modern,” but not obsolete. Maybe surpassed in ease of use and produce, but not obsolete. Maybe surpassed in efficiency, but not obsolete.

4. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    There is a reason that the US Army switched from the .38 LC to the .45 Colt and later the .45 ACP. It stopped crazy people!

5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    What is worse is that someone will cite this blog as a credible source when defending their choice to carry a Glock.

Personally, I don't care what other people carry. I will continue to do what works for me.

In regards to 1911 and 45 acp becoming obsolete, I'm not seeing any evidence of that at the LGS's and shooting ranges that I frequent. My observation has been that many people start out with a Glock (or some other polymer wonder), then they discover the 1911 and come to respect it.

salelcid, 2tone, GreyRider and 16 others like this.
  7. kwkid55

kwkid55 Member

Nov 14, 2018
    I would value the opinion of special operations and Marines that still carry 1911s...

8. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    How true it is. Once we go 1911, well I guess that's all part of the Cult thing LOL.

9. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I call folks like that 'spreadsheet fliers'. Sometimes other things as well. ;)

10. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Meh. This sort of stuff crops up all the time. This writer suffers from opinion arrogance - assuming his or her preferences for carrying a particular gun are universally applicable to everyone else.

That's never the case and good writers take that into account. Given this one didn't, I'm not inclined to care much one way or the other.

Here's the reality: Having a strong, well-trained, defensive mindset is 80% of the battle - attitude, awareness, discipline, knowledge. Carrying a gun - any freaking gun at all - with which you are competent, familiar and practiced is at least 80% of the remaining 20%.

In pretty much the entirety of everyday, ordinary criminal bad guy scenarios, 96% of your survivability has nothing whatsoever to do with which gun you use, what cartridge or caliber it shoots or any of the other niggling little specifics people -and self-annointed experts - just love to argue over.

I could not care less. I'll shoot what I want to shoot and spend my time on the 96% that makes a real and significant difference.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    Yes! Now I have an excuse for my Glock(s)!!! And the it’s credible!...even though it came from a biased, potentially limp-wristed hippie!

....now I just have to read the article...

12. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Somebody had a due date with nothing to write.
    These type articles are "click-bait" crap.
    Having a ton of hits doesn't validate a theory,just makes the writer happy

Neil, ImperialBlade, blamo and 6 others like this.
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Actually his wife,the jerk sitting on the couch all day claiming he's a writer :roflmaro:

14. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I love my 1911's absolutely. Now the 45acp not so much. Moved to 10mm and 38 Super years ago. Newer 45 ammo is more powerful and for shooting people is more than fine. I use carry the 10mm's on the ranch when I carry the auto and a 454 in a revolver--hogs primarily. If I am carrying open on our property and I am just worried about people a carry Legion Sig 226 with Winchester +p+ 127gr. Ammo is wicked plus I do not carry extra magazines so this works out perfect.

GreyRider, wrmiller, Gimpster and 2 others like this.
  15. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    My first autopistol was a Glock. 1990. G23. Wish I still had it. I still have two Glocks (G19 and G34). Love them both. The G19 is my home defense gun. It protects the 1911s in my safe. I carry a Kahr PM9 more than anything else. A wonderful little pocket pistol. My second-most carried gun is a 9mm CCO. I have room for all guns.

16. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    With suppressors becoming all the rage, I would expect 45 acp to experience a Renaissance. It's a subsonic round that has proven effective at stopping human threats for over a century. Yes, you can buy subsonic 9mm rounds, but I'm not sure that I would trust these rounds to stop a human threat. Others are welcome to prove me wrong about subsonic 9mm ammo...

17. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    The title of this thread alone prompted me to not even bother listening to the video.

1911 .45's RULE!!………...Carry on!:grin:

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    What is the difference between a liberal vegetarian and a conservative vegetarian? A conservative vegetarian does not eat meat, a liberal vegetarian tries to stop everyone from eating meat.

I suspect the author may be a bit left leaning... I don't think .22lr is the best round for self defense, but I will sure as heck take my Ruger Single Six over nothing anytime.

19. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    What Video? Did I miss something?

ImperialBlade, ORShooter and Kip like this.
  20. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Thought the same....figured I got gyped!!

ImperialBlade likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted