The only way It could have been worse, if I had shot myself.

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by nikerret, Apr 26, 2019.

1. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Read this, if your having a bad shooting day. Misery loves company.

Today, we only had 10-15 MPH wind and the temperature was incredible. I decided to take my three new to me firearms out shooting. It went terribly.

Some background on me: I’ve been a rural patrol cop since 2008. My first personal firearm purchase was a Gen3 Glock 23, when I was 18. At the first agency I worked at, I was issued a Sig P226R in .40 S&W with a tac light. When I moved to my current agency, I was issued a Gen3 Glock 22 with tac light. In early 2013, we were issued Gen4 Glock 22’s. I’ve been through a few “high speed” courses, in addition to regular training. Some of the better courses were a Basic SWAT Course and LE Sniper. At SWAT school, I was the third best shooter, out of 24 students. I got a 100% on my sniper qualification. I’m also the next to go to firearms instructor school.

I preface all that to boggle your mind when you see the targets. There is no excuse for what you are about to see. I only post it because it will make others feel better and I sure as hell would have showed off, had I performed well.

I took four guns: S&W 442, Gen2 G19, Ed Brown Custom Class A Commander, and a Springfield Professional LR.

Prior to today, I put 100 rounds through the Professional (bought used with around 2k estimated rounds, built 2009). Thee were a box of Freedom Munitions reman and a box of Sellier & Bellot. I used the mags that came with the firearm and had one ammo related failure. On one of the S&B, it failed to fire after the primer was struck. It was a solid hit, but I’ve had at least one of these out of most S&B Ammo boxes I’ve shot. It was cold and I was shivering, so I didn’t worry about accuracy (shooting steel).

The G19 and Ed Brown each got a box of Freedom Munitions reman through them, the day I picked them up. The G19 seems to have some weak springs, but functioned. The Ed Brown was tested with a variety of different mags, no issues to report. It seemed very accurate, shooting at a can in the yard.

I started by shooting the Professional. I used an old food grade barrel as a rest and tested six brands/types of ammo. All was 230 grain .45ACP, from 15 yards. I had three cardboard targets so I put small circle stickers on, as targets. I used a magazine I bought off here, used, that looks identical to the ones the Pro is shipped with.

This is when everything went to crap. I fired three rounds, per brand on the rest. It was bad. Everything was to the left and the groups were spread like the fat guy farted at the cheerleaders’ table. I marked the shots and fired a second string of three, in each brand. Those are marked with “2”’s. It didn’t make me feel better. Throughout, I tried everything I could think of to get back to base fundamentals and take out my mistakes. I just couldn’t make it happen, today.

Dismayed, I got out my new to me Ed Brown. I used a CMC Shooting Star the pistol came with. It looked old, but I wanted to test it. I shot the ammo I the same order at a new target with new stickers. Again, at 15 yards, with the same rest. This went slightly better, but was still akin to throwing a handful of marbles and all to the left. I shot three rounds of each then started over, after marking the target. On the second set, with the Fiocchi, I had a failure to feed. It was the second, out of three loaded in the mag. It was jammed under the slide, an eighth of an inch behind the face of the breech. After clearing the malfunction and adding some more oil, I was able to complete this round of testing. Beyond this malfunction, I noticed the brass would sometimes fly over my head. Other times, it would fly to the right. So, I have that going for me.

I then decided I would see how the G19 did. I wasn’t able to use the rest as the brass only went a few inches before coming down, landing on my hands. The brass was hot. I had just got it back from an armored, who suggested some new springs. I was more concerned with my accuracy. While not great shooting, they were all in the general area I expected them to be in, while firing. After burning through a box, on my third target, I went back to the Professional. The G19 functioned, but most of the brass hit me, in the face or landed in my hands. That punched its fun ticket.

Since I planned poorly and had shot up my last target, I had to get creative with my shots. I started by shooting the corner scoring box. Much to my surprise, I put all eight shots in the box with a fairly decent group. This was standing, from the 15 yard line. I shot much better standing than when using the rest. How’s that, for a “go screw yourself”? On the second mag, still using the used one like what the Pro is shipped with, I had a failure to feed. It looked like I could just bump the rear to get it into battery, but that didn’t work I had to remove the mag and clear the malfunction. I loaded the same mag and tried again, after adding some oil. I got through a couple of mags worth before it did it, again. This time, it looked like it was in battery, but the barrel was not quite all the way back up, in the slide. This one took a lot office to get the slide back, after removing the mag. I deemed that mag a bad one and decided to try a Checkmate I bought. I know this mag has had less than 200 rounds through it. I again had a failure to feed, but this one wasn’t as bad as the first two. By this time, I was not pleasant. My shooters no was still better, than before, but my firearm seems to have taken a dump. Yay.

I then went back to the Ed Brown, while standing. I did not use any of the mags I’d experienced trouble with. I seem to shoot the EB better than the Pro, in regard to accuracy. Of course, by this point, I couldn’t really tell where all my rounds were impacting, on the properly shot up target. Of course, not to worry about ending on a good note, one of the “Ed Brown Products” medallions, in the grips, fell out. I found it, but dammit.

Trying to end on a better than mediocre evolution, I shot my regular CCW S&W 442 loaded with some Golden Saber 125 grain +P. That followed the general feel if the day and was a complete waste of ammo and time. At least, I’ve got fresh carry ammo in it, now. Whahoo.

I hope this makes sense, the old lady just got home and she’s still mad at me for going to the range instead of helping her get dinner ready for her church pot-luck and the kids’ performance.

To sum up: the 1911 platform had severely kicked my ass and I am embarrassed and ashamed.

Here’s some pics of my targets and ammo. They are pictured in the same order as shot, if you can’t read the writing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The group by the head (not really a group) was from the j-frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS. The +P Federal Tactical Bonded was much more stout, in the EB, but I didn’t notice much difference, in the Pro.

villdetwink, KS95B40, isialk and 2 others like this.
  2. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    My Pro loves HST +P. Any chance you can shoot off a sandbag rest next time? Just to assure yourself of what the guns can do and get your mojo back.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Whenever I have a bad range day, I take a step back and do some dry fire practice. More often than not, this is enough to iron out the wrinkles.

Since I have a sedentary job (I work behind a computer for most of the day), I started doing push ups, pull ups, and reps with the captains of crunch crush on a regular basis to get my strength up. That has made a world of difference in my shooting.

Last but not least, meditation helps to improve focus and self awareness. There is no need for any fancy mantra's or ornamental arrangements. Just find a quite spot to sit, close your eyes, and try to keep your focus on your breathing for, say, 10 to 15 minutes. When you mind wanders off, just let go of whatever it is that distracted you and bring your attention back to your breathing. That's it. It's harder than it sounds, and you will probably fail miserably at first. But, in time, you're capacity to stay focused will improve.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  5. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    You hit more than you didn't. Tomorrow's another day, fella.

KS95B40, isialk, Kip and 2 others like this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Some days suck, not much you can do about them. At least all of your "groups";) would have kept all the rounds center mass.

Clean and oil the guns, put springs in your Glock, get the new set of grips you really want for the EB, and head back to the range another day. In the meantime work on dry fire practice, it'll help with pulling left. And don't use those blue barrels for rests, they're too unstable and too short to shoot comfortably from when standing and too tall when sitting.

Also, this range trip revealed issues that need to be addressed, better there than in a self defense situation. Correct them and move forward.

gps man, Kip and boatdoc like this.
  7. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    IMHO a rest is like a crutch. so is the suppor t hand( if you are a purest).I want to be a great one handed shooter some day. I do still shoot with 2 hands especially when my shooting hand is sore( I am NOT putting anyone or their style down)

perhaps while using the rest you restricted free slide movement some how. glad your off hand shooting went better and left you with a warm feeling

had to go to my range @ 5;30 am as they are cleaning today @ 8. did ok. trying to get rid of that troublesome lax c rap ammo( 185 gr fmj) so I brought a Fusion government( freedom series) gold, a Sig p220 match elite( one of my favs in 45 acp) and a Sig legion( bought on a whim but it is nice)

started out with the Fusion. rounds feeding, shots hitting a bit high but ok @ 25-33 feet THEN I REALLY jammed a round and it was live too. luckily no one else was there. I found a good metal surface, wrapped the slide in cloth and banged it HARD to free up the slide. rest of the range session was @ 45 feet and I did ok. Those Sigs are close to 1911 fun for sure+ I only have 200 round of LAX do go :)

keep shooting and better luck next time

enjoy the ride

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Shocker2000 likes this.
  8. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    I am a dry fire hero. sights steady. laser hits poa everytime..then I go to the range.....;)

I still get too excited when I shoot(like the day I started)

gaijin, isialk, Kip and 2 others like this.
  9. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    if you ever have another bad d ay( and we all do). cure your heart and settle your mind. take the last 10 rounds and shoot them @ 15 feet. blast a big hole and smile all day long--doctors orders

isialk and gps man like this.
  10. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    How does eating a sugar bomb kid’s cereal improve your strength?

FNFAN, Kip, B81 and 1 other person like this.
  11. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Also, when things are really going to sh!t and I'm having a bad range day I'll completely change up what I'm doing and work on something other than what I'm sucking at. If that doesn't work I'll just pack it up and save the ammo for another day.

Mike Meints, gps man and Kip like this.
  12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I ment to say Captains of Crush. :egg:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captains_of_Crush_Grippers

Although, they say Captain Crunch is a part of a complete breakfast. Eating a complete breakfast is important if you want to maximize your performance. :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I agree with WC,you found a few problems to deal with.
    I'd call that a win.
    Barrels for a rest never work,wobbly and lousy ergonomics.
    Plus, they're made for shooting at,not on!!
    Back to my Cap'n Crunch and I'm good to go!! :D

Mike Meints, KS95B40, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  14. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Hey at least you got to go out and shoot. So you have some stuff to think about and work on. That’s what keeps you coming back. The desire to improve and perfect. I used to do this with golf when i was a kid and a young man. I freakin hit golf balls till my hands bled. I got really good but never good enough in my mind. Always something I could have done better. I hope to do that with shooting sometime soon. Your bad days are what force you back. You know how good you can do and your not just gonna let it go. Next time will be different. Probably much better. But I’ll wager that in spite of any improvement, there will still be that something in your mind that you know you can improve. Thanks for the great report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    @nikerret .. Thanks for posting what a lot of us go through from time to time. Most of us won't do what you did..... you told us about it. We tend to pack it up with the guns and try to lock it in the safe.... hopefully never to see the light of day again.

On another day we make the trip to the lead farm and all seems well... it might be a while down the road.... but sure enough, that bad range day rears it's ugly head again.
    And so the circle continues.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  16. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Its probably all mental but a cup of coffee before the range helps to tighten up my groups.

Just practice some coin drills and go back to the range with a clean slate.

17. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I've got an Uncle who will sell a gun after a bad range day, I guess a few guys got bargains because of it. Regroup, it was an off day, most likely due to fatigue or lapse of focus due to stress. It will pass.

B81 likes this.
  18. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Shooting can definitely be frustrating as hell sometimes. There are days that all my shots are touching each other and then there are days that my shots are touching each side of the target including the top and bottom ! If it would make you feel better you can box all those guns up and send them to me and buy yourself new, much better, more accurate guns ! I’m always willing to help like that.

Mike Meints, B81 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  19. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    I knew what you meant :cool2: Sometimes I gotta be a :poop:head.
    My goal for the summer is to crush the 1.5 / 167lb ones regularly.

Lou1 likes this.
  20. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    The 140 lb is kicking my ass right now.

Greg45acp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted