The Politically Economic Agenda (Bias) of Credit Card Companies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Dec 24, 2018.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    https://twitter.com/i/moments/1077324636277391360

A long, enlightening read. This is one of Pistol Annie's better finds. It will take a while, but worth it IMO.

The general theme will not be a surprise to anyone here, but it is a collection of detail and links to source documents I have not seen anywhere else.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  2. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Great article. It is more than a little disturbing that the majority of big name financial institutions are in the "tank", to be against the "little guy". Because it is in "the best interest of the communities we serve". (Yeah, right!)
    God forbid if you a law abiding 2A'er exercising their ability to purchase a firearm or anything remotely firearm related. I have been personally affected by such actions from a local southern bank on multiple occasions. That was until I had a pointed conversation with the manager of the bank. I made it clear one more time they froze a transaction because their "automated algorithms" decided my purchase was a"safety issue" (weapon - pistol), I would pull my mortgage on substantial saving from. Never had a problem since and yes I have purchased many more of those "safety issue" items since that conversation.

Bottom line, money talks. "Vote" (act) with your money. They may not listen to your message, but they will suddenly hear it loud and clear when they are negatively impacted from a monetary perspective.

3. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    You know, if people would just pull their heads from their collective anus’s, and endeavor to become debt free, these big finance institutions would sit up and take notice. I may not be rich, probably my never will be, but I don’t owe anybody anything with the exception of my truck payment. If I could swing it, I’d pay it off.

Live with cash, not credit. I never purchase a gun with a credit card. Not because I’m mister rich guy, it’s the general principle. My purchase decision is not some gd banks business. However, what I choose to purchase, if perfectly legal, should not be denied by a bank, just because it’s not what they think I should have. To me, this is outright discriminatory behavior needs to be made illegal.

However, since I live in reality, I know that will not happen. The banks have congress on their knees with mouthfuls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I am fortunate enough to have a good sized sporting goods store that carries abundant reloading supplies and firearms. When I decide to make a purchase, I start hitting the ATM for cash days earlier. All my transactions firearm or ammo related are cash.

5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m on the other side, I can pay cash for most items but choose to use my credit cards and bank accounts to kinda “rub it in” like yeah I’m buying a safety issue! What ya gonna do about it! I’ll be damned if I let a bank or other tell me what I can otherwise legally do. Also I like to pp for firearms and the like simply because they hate it soooo much.

6. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Totally agree with you. I still choose to do transactions in cash. It is easier for me to know exactly what I’m spending. However, I’m sure giving the bank the finger feels amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImperialBlade likes this.
  7. OctopusHighball

OctopusHighball Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    The issue is the guys who are merchants, they NEED payment processing. You choosing to live cash only is admirable, but that is only half of the equation. Businesses live and die on cash flow (and by cash flow I mean money in any form, not actual "cash"), and tweaking that even just by a couple of days can be a death kneel for a merchant.

Visa and MasterCard represent the lion's share of financial transactions for payment processing. If they choose to "pick a side" in the 2A debate, it will be a real weak spot for the companies and the suppliers and vendors whom they depend on.

We need to start treating the 2nd Amendment like the civil rights issue it truly is. To do that, we need to approach the whole issue differently. We need to be persuasive in our arguments and understand how to pitch the issue in a way that will change minds. Molon Labe means everything to us, but won't mean a thing to the suburban women who will likely vote against us because "guns are scary" to them. We need to take a page out of the civil rights playbook and organize like they did in the 50's and 60's. We need to find unlikely allies and enlist them into our common goal, like the pink pistol folks and the churches that support our positions. We need to figure out what those messages are, then stay on brand and on message. We need to encourage coordinated activism to achieve common goals. We can no longer sit back and simply throw money at the issue via the NRA and other groups and think that is enough. We need to harden ourselves to the reality that this is going to be a long, hard slog and there will be financial victims amongst us, and we need to support those of us who may fall in financial battle.

In short, we need to change our game. Because like it or not, the game is changing on us.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    wcanterbury and ImperialBlade like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted