close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "semi-custom" label

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Quack, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I hate labels, just ask TKR Reptiles. :animlol:

With that said, I think that most "semi-custom" guns are just "production" guns that can be ordered with options, kind of like buying a car.

For instance, I bought my Kobra Carry off the shelf as a standard offering, no changes made, so there's really nothing "semi-custom" about it. Hokie ordered his KC with a few changes, so would that be a "semi-custom" even though it's just cosmetic changes?

Wouldn't "factory custom" be a more fitting title, since most changes are options that the manufacturer already offers and usually cosmetics?

Would a Guncrafter be a "semi-custom" since you get it the way it comes from the shop? And to the same token, where does the Dan Wesson's fit into the mix? It's fit better and has better parts than "production" 1911's, but is still labeled as "production".

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Wade's 9mm VBOB says "Custom" on it. :biggrin1:

I'm with you. A label is a label and honestly is meaningless, other than bragging rights if that's your thing.

3. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I agree. I just think that “semi” means you can change “some” things on it. I know that holds more true with some makers than others. I know baer has alot of limitations on what he will do. On the other hand I just got to handle my first “full” custom last weekend. I went down and visited Joe Chambers. There’s a big difference between full and semi. As I’m sure you’re already aware of that. Joe will pretty much build you a gun from a block of steel and make it shoot one inch groups at 50 yards. I got to put my greasy paws on the lefty righty twins he built right before he sent them off to gain magazine fame. See, I told you it was easy to make friends when you always have a six pack to give away. :) I’ve always heard the saying that the slide felt like ball bearings. Holy ****, some of his bullseye guns are unexplainable. I don’t even see how he does it. He had a supergrade there and it didn’t even come close to one of his.

4. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    You make a great point.

I think the labels do help to a point in a basic way to guide what you are looking for sort of thing. I tend to look at it in how much involvement a person had in crafting the item.

It gives it that soul if you will sort of thing, that a gun machined to exact tolerances and specs so it all just fits lacks. I only know how Baer does it for sure, I would assume that at the other big shops things are done more one at a time sort of deal as well. (Baer being an odd hand fit production line deal, with 5 thousand variants and names for the same gun with different options.)

I can not for the life of me figure out DW, I like there stuff, but I also think a 1400 stainless valor makes a hell of a lot more since than a 1800 black one.

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think the line definitely gets blurry at a certain point. Look at the Valor vs say a TRS. I would say the Valor is pretty damn close in quality IMHO in the "Production vs Semi-custom" argument.

6. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Hell Paul it is custom ! Find another 9mm VBOB, let alone another one Chuck worked on !LOL

Wanna buy it ?

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    trade you my KC for it :animlol:

8. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    The fact that every pistol is hand built and fit. Try calling a shop like Pistol Dynamics and telling Paul what you want built.....from what I hear, it will not get you too far. I think the whole custom vs. semi-custom thing means different things to different people. You take a production Colt, send it to Heirloom Precision and when you get it back, it is suddenly a "Custom". Why? Because the pistol is completely gone through and every part is hand fit to that pistol. What makes that different than handing someone like Alex or Jess at Guncrafter a pile of raw, unfinished parts and having them hand fit each component from scratch? The fact that you don't have a menu of options to choose from does not make it any less hand fit, does it? To others, Custom means the ability to order any option you want on a build. If that is the case, why would you not consider Wilson, Nighthawk, ect a custom house? In my mind, a ground up, hand built pistol is a custom pistol....The debate goes on and on......

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I know it is man. Hand-built by Keith and massaged by Chuck. I was giving you a hard time. It's an awsome gun for sure. I'd trade you my KC for it but since you're moving away from .45 to 9mm, your lady hands (which apparantly are worse than mine) couldn't handle it.

:rofl2:

10. wade-19

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks, but if I sell it, it will be to fund the GC CCO

I

11. wade-19

Aug 17, 2011
    Hands are fine , it's the lady wrists I have a problem with .

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    So an ACS Remsport build project isn't "custom" :Cry:

I have big plans for the Filipino smiff at ACS. :nod:

13. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If it's any consolation, I have styrofoam ankles. :Cry:

14. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I think these labels are more for bragging rights than anything else. The only thing that should matter to someone using their pistol is that works, being classified as one or the other doesn't change a pistol working. Those who have them for show want to build them up with titles of "Full-Custom" or "Semi-Custom" etc. Just my opinion.

15. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I dare someone to call Ed and tell him my gun should say "Semi-custom Production by Ed Brown". :rofl2:

16. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm almost afraid to hold, fondle, and shoot a full house custom :lol: I know what usually happens next!

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    While you're at it tell his is spark plug wires are mislabeled.
    See Guns and Ammo, The Custom Edition, page 67.
    #5 & #6 cylinders are NOT on the same side! :der:

As big of a Gearhead as he is, I'm amazed this got by him!

18. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I'd throw "limited production" into the bag of phrases, but I think it would just make it more messy.

So far, I've gotten more "Is that a Kimber?" questions when I pull out the Guncrafter than I care to admit. My reply varies from, "No, it's a semi-custom from Guncrafter Industries" to simply, "No." :lol:

Andy

19. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Where are they labeled?

20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    There is a number wrap around the wire just below the loom.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted