1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Once all this is done (plus other details like de-horn, front sight insert, etc) the finish prep becomes the order of the day... or in this case days. In most instances a polished finish is pretty low risk but in this case the client (who is A+ awesome to work with) and I decided on a fully polished finish. Other than inside the checkering, serrations, mag-well, or beveled de-horn it was polished everywhere so the challenge (read risk) is to carefully mask what needs to be polished and matte blast the areas to be matte finished. Follow that up with lots and lots of polishing by hand. Screw up a line or slip and hit one the matte areas with the sandpaper and you guessed it tape it off again and do it over.

It took me a while to write this one up and post the finished photos because I wanted to make sure I told the story as best I could, representing the clients finished gun and our communal vision for the build. This build was challenging in a manner that I had never been challenged, but when all is said and done I am beyond thankful that I got to build this gun. I very much look forward to working with this client again!

Beautiful work! I am envious of your talent.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts