1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It'll be here Thursday and I can hardly stand it!! I've mentioned this project once or twice before but to recap, I sent a beater S&W M28-2 that I bought late one night out of the S&W forum classifieds. It had supposedly been tuned, shorter barrel mounted, and round butted, but when it got here the cylinder would bind on a couple chambers, it was beat up, and in general it was a $500 POS. It was an 'as-is' purchase and I couldn't sell it in good conscience without losing a couple of hundred on it so I was stuck with it and it sat in the workbench drawer for a long while since I had no idea what to do with it.

Then one day I was looking at the Numrich's site and ran across titanium .41mag cylinders for $87. The light bulb went on and the solution to my M28 problem was suddenly obvious - PUT MORE MONEY IN IT!!! I ordered a cylinder from Numrich's, hit ebay and found a nice 4" M58 .41mag barrel for $90, and called Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance Guns.

Mark is an outstanding revolversmith (and former 1911 racegun builder), he's responsible for my tricked out 9mm/.38spl S&W 360J convertible. I told Mark what I had and what I wanted - a 3", round butt, titanium cylinder .41mag 28-2! I've had several caliber converted guns, including the CROWBAR, my .45acp 28-2, and I think they're pretty cool. The vision I had in my head for this gun was a 3" RB S&W M13 on steroids. Mark had me send everything in and the wait began. Now, 9 months later, it's done and on the way.

He only sent me one teaser pic but it looks great to me, all business, no BS. He repaired a couple of issues, fitted the cylinder, cut the barrel to 3" and recrowned it, made and installed the front sight, cleaned up the action, smoothed out the scratches and dings so they weren't so noticeable. Then he sent it off to be blued, the bluer cleaned it up a little more blasted it before bluing to give it a nice matte surface that matches the cylinder. The dark matte blue contrasts nicely with the titanium.

Alex Tukiendorf is a member of the S&W forum, he does outstanding custom leather work based on classic holster designs at very reasonable prices. He made me a rig for the CROWBAR and some gear for the Colt S70 repro I gave my dad last year. He's making a Threepersons style holster and a 6rd belt slide ammo carrier for this gun.

I'm long winded because I'm excited, sorry. Here's the teaser pic Mark sent and a pic of the gun from before I sent it to him. I'll post up more pics after it gets here.

Now-

Before-

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Wow, that is sweet! I'll bet you're glad you picked it up in the first place too!

Reactions: WC145

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,750 Posts
Manohman this is going to be sweet... that titanium cylinder will take some pretty descent weight off it, should be blast to shoot!

·
Get off my lawn...
14,809 Posts
Looks great, but I'd have to set up to reload 41 magnum... Sure looks worth the effort to me! Can't wait to see some additional pictures! I'm the #1 fan of the Crowbar!! This will make a worthy addition to your fine collection!

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, guys. I love it when a plan comes together like this one has. I'm not one to specify every little thing when I have work done or a gun built. I like to talk to the gunsmith, discuss my vision for the gun, and then let him do what he does best. I think you get a little more of their ingenuity and artistic side that way, his interpretation of my ideas. That's what I see here in the front sight, the barrel crown, the treatment of the barrel lug, very cool.

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
That's just too darn cool!
Congratulations.
Throwing it more money at it is always a good strategy !
Jamie does make great holsters at a very competitive price with outstanding service. I've got three or four he's made for me.

That pistol is going to be a blast.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Cool! I hope you love it.

I am so glad I got my 41. A 657 Classic Hunter with some work from our local boy at Gemini Customs. I just save sooo much money reloading for it! I can save nearly $30 a box just by reloading! I only save about $6/box reloading 45 Autos. I'd bet you'll save enough by reloading 41 magnums that it'll pay for itself. BTW, if you see anything wrong with my logic, please don't point it out to me.

·
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It showed up yesterday as promised and it is OUTSTANDING!! It looks tough as hell, especially with the thick M58 barrel cut down to 3". It has a nice heft to it and it balances well, just a little bit muzzle heavy. When I sent it to Mark it had scrapes and dings and some pitting on the frame, it looked like it had lived in a tool box (probably had), he got most of it cleaned up and it looks terrific, there's just a few remnants of the pitting left, no big deal since this is to be a working gun. He put in a lot of attention to detail, from breaking all of the edges, to the new barrel crown, and even removing what was left of the factory roll marks from the barrel after cutting it. The cylinder timing is spot on and the lock up is excellent, as is the trigger, both single and double action. I've only had time to shoot one quick cylinder full through it at about 10yds but it shot to point of aim and was very manageable with 175gr Silvertips. Can't wait for the leather to get here for it, but that's going to be a few weeks.

I honestly could not be happier with how it turned out, it is exactly what I had in mind. And, as usual, Mark Hartshorne was great to work with, he's a very talented revolversmith and an all around nice guy. If your looking for someone to do revolver work for you he should be at the top of your list. http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/

·
Get off my lawn...
14,809 Posts
Looks fantastic, and a pretty sweet shooter! Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing the new rig, too!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts