The "Why" behind the WTF Chip McCormick .38 sup. Mags. WTF?????????

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TheCollector, Jul 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Feed lips and follower..

wrmiller and Capthobo like this.
  2. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017

.......just reminded me to check over on the Girls & Guns thread..... :)

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Perhaps the WHY behind the WTF!!!!

The Chip McCormick mag.’s Slide Stop actuator sits higher in the gun with one round left to go than the other brands by the following amount.
    .071”-.074” higher than the Colt
    .069”-.072” higher than the Dan Wesson
    .051”-.054” higher than the Mec-Gar

This very well may be why it can activate the SS with one round remaining.
    It is the only design that can easily change the actuator dimension relative to the follower/bullet surface. With minimum squeeze pressure… or even spring tension. (see pics 4,5&6)

***NOTE*** all mags are of low round count. This is not a proven method of comparison…. However, it convinces me that McCormick .38 super mags are not worth buying.

IMG_4084.jpg IMG_4085.jpg IMG_4086.jpg IMG_4091.jpg IMG_4092.jpg IMG_4093.jpg

4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Damn that’s funny :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  5. das_dude

das_dude “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude Supporting Addict

Nov 2, 2015
    Had Tripp make .38 super and 9x23 mags for my LB Super Stinger. They work flawlessly.

wrmiller likes this.
  6. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Just ordered 4 Tripp .38 sup mags yesterday.... I hope they do the trick... I'm tired of dealing with half-the-time-function.

ZoidMeister, das_dude and Dub like this.
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've never owned a bunch of 1911s at the same time, but when I built any pistol (carry or race gun), I always tuned the pistol with a set of mags to be used with each other. Never expected a mag to work right out of the box, but then I never expected a 1911 to ever work right out of the box.

You would think that with today's tech, that everything would be plug-and-play, but given that many 1911 factory and custom builders do their own thing and don't give a darn about interchangeability of even the most basic parts we end up right back where we were decades ago. Isn't life grand. :)

8. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I only use the Chip mags in the .38supers we build here and never have a single issue. Perhaps it's the guns...

switchback, SCS1911 and dstallguy like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Great comparison and dang you got some nice tools..

switchback and wrmiller like this.
  10. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Probably Joe..... its often observed here that if it ain't Joe's, it ain't sh*t!
    But I try to make due with what I have. *sarc.

From a purely engineering point of view, the follower on the left (Chip)
    Has the least integrity for maintaining a constant dimension between the two functioning surfaces. A variance of just a few ponds of pressure can compress or open up that distance. The design of the other two are much more efficient at maintaining a constant set dimension.

In the event that Joe builds me a gun... I will request something other than Chip mags.

IMG_4094.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    wrmiller and Rick McC. like this.
  11. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Collector, what do your CMC mags look like with 1 round loaded? Where is the slide stop engagement shelf?

12. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    ^^^^ I don’t care for that style follower (the left one) at all.

switchback and wrmiller like this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I just bought some Wilson 10mm mags and really like them. Have you tried one of their mags? Just curious.

14. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    The CMC follower is split to stuff an extra round in the tube. You should probably send an email to them to see if there have been any issues with their followers https://www.cmproducts.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

I know lots of folks who swear by their 38 mags

gps man, Joe C and FWoo45 like this.
  15. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I went to the Chip McCormick web site and looked at that magazine specifically.
    On the same page there are 4 recent reviews on the 38 super mags. All give a 5 star review on them. I would call customer service and ask to speak with a tech and see what they say.

FWoo45 likes this.
  16. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
  17. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    The pic below shows the Chipster mags with one round in it. The bottom mag is how both mags were as purchased. Yes ... that shelf is high enough to engage the SS on EVERY .38 sup I own. WC, NHs, EB, Colts (KGBs included), DWs & JEMs.
    Probably a Joe Cs if I had one.
    The top mag is after I disassembled and tuned (fancy word for bend) it to where it works in ALL my .38s.

722D265E-8E00-41D0-AC93-41A33086FEAB.jpeg

wrmiller and Capthobo like this.
  18. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    Thats what I would do

FWoo45 likes this.
  19. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    @TheCollector
    Have you been to the range since tuning the mags? I’m interested and concerned if they still stay tuned to your spec after full mags of 10 and one in the pipe or 11 rds to start with.
    Let us know. Thx

20. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Thanks for the links... I used their contact form to share information and photos.

Dwe and wrmiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted