THINK about ADs

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by nmbuzz, Dec 30, 2018.

1. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    A New Year reminder.
    NOT TOYS
    AD: Accidental discharge
    Every manual that comes with every new FA sold has, highlighted & flagged, all the information needed to avoid such things. -
    Everyone be safe in the New Year. NMBUZZ

[​IMG]

2. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    Ouch! Great tip and reminder! What’s the pic from?

ImperialBlade and PewPewPtwang like this.

3. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    A mental lapse. But not mine thank goodness.

4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Great community service memo Buzzster, and a safe and happy new year to you sir.

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    No such thing as an "accidental discharge", guns don't go off by themselves or accidently. The proper term is Negligent Discharge. And, knowing your gun, knowing your gear, and following basic safe gun handling practices will reduce the chances of having an ND to essentially zero.

Hope you all have a safe, happy, and prosperous New Year.

6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Nothing bad can happen if you don't have you finger on the trigger, IMHO

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    And it can happen to anybody. A master class shooter was at our range by himself during the week (as I often am) when it is closed to the public, and was changing up his draw significantly. Put four 9mm holes in his leg with one shot. In and out of his thigh and in and out of his calf. Was able to drive himself to the range master's house up the road who took him to the hospital.

8. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Trigger not touched:

One cop accidentally shot when their Sig P320 fell from the holster.

9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I didn't see anyone shot with a Sig P320, just some guy with a malfunctioning Winchester shotgun.

And, if your gun falls from it's holster either you didn't holster it properly or you've got sh!t gear.

10. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Had a friend who slam fired a Kimber 45 inside his house. Dropped the slide without a mag inserted on a chambered round. Bang! Blamed the gun and swore off Kimbers

xerts1191 and nmbuzz like this.
  11. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    LOL he should have worked with an unloaded pistol first THEN live ammo. Sounds like a "master class ND shooter" to me. People make very poor decisions and some die for it. Not really any sympathy--man has got to know his limitations or pay the price on firearm safety. At least he had the good judgement not to do this around other people to avoid any other potential injuries.

12. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Happy Safe New Years everyone.

13. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Pretty dickish remark. I think I’ll engage the ignore feature now. Cheers.

xerts1191 and Harleyvato like this.
  14. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Some people have a hard time with accepting responsibility for weapon safety. Sorry but the truth hurts and people like your 'master AD shooter" buddy ruins it for everybody. Wonder why people do not want to allow anyone to shoot on their private property? Guys like this who think "It can happen to anybody" are not the people you want on your land with a firearm...

xerts1191 likes this.
  15. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've never had a AD, and strive never to have one.
    Sorry, but that's just BS. I was a master class shooter too, and my finger NEVER got near the trigger until the pistol was level and pointed downrange. No matter how fast I tried to draw. :)

xerts1191, WC145 and Busa Dave like this.
  16. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    Rather than burden and distract the easily distracted here, I simply stated "changed up his draw significantly". He had changed holstering from strong side to support side due to developing vision issues. I didn't witness the event, but the range owner showed me the pictures the next day, and the range master recited the event to me as he was the first to attend to the individual in question.

And don't forget the competition shooter who tried to catch a bobbled gun, and died a year or two ago.

The point of the thread is to be be aware, and be safe.

While I am not a master class shooter, I shoot and SO matches with 75-100 shooters monthly. Smaller matches in between. Believe what you like.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    xerts1191 likes this.
  17. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    xerts1191 and nmbuzz like this.
  18. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
  19. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    accident | ˈaksɪd(ə)nt | noun
    1. an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury: he had an accident at the factory | [mass noun] : if you are unable to work owing to accident or sickness. • a crash involving road or other vehicles: four people were killed in a road accident.

accidental | aksɪˈdɛnt(ə)l | adjective
    1. happening by chance, unintentionally, or unexpectedly: a verdict of accidental death | the damage might have been accidental.

Accidental as in "Unintentional". Not intended. Does not preclude a mistake, and 99.9% of the time there is a mistake to start with.

But... There are brain farts, and there is gross negligence.

I've been around guns for more than fifty years, and I've seen my share of stupid and dangerous things. But painting everything and everybody with the same broad brush, "You're perfect, or you're a failure", sorry, but that sounds a bit Holier Than Thou...

So, no matter what the Politically Correct Way-Of-The-Day is, I'll personally continue using Accidental Discharge in some cases, and agree with Negligent (or worse) discharge in other cases.

Not commenting on this particular case, this is just a general rant...

20. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    As stated above a man/woman or shooter has to know his limitations period. Knowing when it is time to do something else due to physical limitations is just part of it just like anything else in life. Put any spin on it you choose it is still being negligent. Could care less why he was doing stupid things point is he was doing them with live ammo.

ND's do not "just" happen ever. It takes a human to be involved and therein lies the issue. Be safe.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted