close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is for Shipwreck...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awpk03s, Aug 24, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I got a set of Pachmayr wrap around Combat grips (no thumb rest/palm swell)... and put them on my Nighthawk Enforcer to try out.

Love them. Absolutely love them.

The transition between my frame and the first row of 25lpi checkering on my Enforcer is almost like a knife edge (as I try to show in this bad picture).

[​IMG]

These grips cover that, are grippy as all get out, fit my hand perfectly, and look pretty good (to me) to boot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:biggrin1:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Is there a dislike button on this forum? Add an emoji TKR!!!

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I need to take some pics still :)

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    you can rate the thread.

6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Pics,.......I really despise those rubber grips!
    They have corroded more 1911 frames than anything else on the planet!

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Dont do it!!! Please!!!

8. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta & Hockey Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    Well, these grips are very, very nice. Everyone who has picked up my Custom Operator with these grips comment on how good the grips feel.

I actually had a set fo gripsavers from aluma grips - I once had aluma grips for the gun. I kept those grip savers, and I keep a heavy layer of oil on the frame, and then put the frame savers on top - THEn the packmeyers. That keeps any marks from that metal plate in the grips from developing, and also helps prevent any rust issues.

Carrying a gun in a hot environment with sweat all over it is probably not the best time to use pachmeyer grips. They can help develop rust on the frame. However, if you keep en eye on things and put some CLP under the grips - it'll likely be fine. Mine is just a range gun anyway.

I took my Pachmeyers off last month, and will decide on the next range trip (with the hogue grip panels) if they will stay off or on. They are my fav 1911 grips, though

9. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I lubed quite liberally under the grips, and this is my home defense pistol, so it doesn't get carried. I added some pics to the original post!

10. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :puke:

11. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Haha... come on man! They don't look THAT bad... I do like the feel, but honestly, I'm a grip whore. I have a rotation for this pistol of 2 sets of VZs, 1 set of Alumagrips, 1 set of checkered cocobolo grips, and these. Odds are I will change my mind and swap them out and back again at multiple points in the future...

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Well, it wasn't as much puke as the smiley.........just a little. :rofl2:

13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Function over form. I can dig it. :thumb:

Andy

14. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Had them on a couple of Sig 225's awhile back. They sure were grippy, not to mention hard to find at the time. Though I don't see them going on the 1911's, it's not a bad look. I just prefer wood myself..

15. rick458

rick458 New Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I have a Colt Mk IV ser 80 that came with radical rubber grips, very comfortable to shoot.
    You do have to be diligent about rust and corrosion behind them though

16. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    For a Blued Gun it would be smart to put some wax on the frame behind the rubber grips.
    A straight wax for cars (not a cleaner/ wax) will prevent any corrosion from the rubber grips trapping moisture.
    For a stainless gun all it takes is a wipe of oil once in a while.
    I take mine off every time I clean my gun that has the wrap arounds on it.
    I admit they are not pretty like a good set of wood grips but they definately feel good and give the slim frame 1911's a little more width for people like me with large hands.

17. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta & Hockey Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    See, I thought they looked pretty decent on mine when I had them on:

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted