Those that Carry OWB...How High Do You Like Your Handgun to Ride? How Much Rake??

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Nalajr, Sep 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I’d like to pick the brains of you guys that prefer to carry OWB. I think that style works best for me unless I use suspenders, then I can comfortably use an IWB like the Summer Special or SS2.

I have been on several holster makers Pages just looking at all the options and styles being produced for OWB carry. Of course I have no clue as to what I want or will work for me right now. I have some experimenting to do around the house for a bit before I’ll get a better idea.

I’d first like to hear about how high you like your pistol to ride. I was looking in Milt Sparks page and the Adkins type holsters looked good to me. They have different options available as to how high you want them on your belt. I would be using this holster for my Hi Power, my Commander and my NRM Colt. I just haven’t decided which one I’ll get the holster for initially.
    It also looks to me that if you want a really high ride, you’d have to have a really good, STIFF belt. Correct? You couldn’t use a holster like that with a 40 ounce pistol if you use a $20 Walmart leather holster. Would you all agree? I’m wondering if there’s a happy medium with this style holster where it’s not too high or not too low. Of course I don’t know how you’d figure that out prior to buying one.

After deciding how high, then you have to decide whether or not you want to have a straight drop or a cant to it and how much. The so called FBI cant seems to be very popular.

If you all don’t mind, would you care to talk about how you have your OWB set up and how you came to arrive at those specs. If anyone has a pic showing where some of these holsters actually are on the belt, that would be great.

Any other advice you care to share will be appreciated. If you have any recommendations for makers that have good stuff, but are not over say $100, that would be great too. I just don’t want to spend a lot of money on a holster until I know for sure exactly how I want it.

Thank you all kindly for your continued help. Have a good week everybody.

2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    I wear OWB holsters with no cant, they slow me down. Therefore with no Cant, they tend to ride a bit high, but still faster for me than a canted holster. I will be buying a holster later that sits lower for a 5" Govt.

gps man likes this.

3. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    I wear only OWB with a slight can’t and straight drop. I love it and want to try IWB but haven’t due being plus sized :roflmaro::roflmaro:

Onramp, Mike Meints and sechip88 like this.
  4. FatMikey

FatMikey Active Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I carry exclusively OWB at about 4:00 and like it high and tight with about a 10 degree forward cant to better conceal the butt. For a decent not too expensive leather holster look at the Don Hume 721, I'm using it while I wait for my Milt Sparks 55BN.

DRD, Dub, Onramp and 4 others like this.
  5. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020

I just sold the 55BN I had as I have a Southern Trapper supposed to ship next week.

6. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  7. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I like higher-riding holsters with a nice forward cant in both OWB and IWB (in which I now exclusively use a Summer Special - not the SS2 - style holster for IWB carry. I have SSs from both Sparks and Bruce Nelson Combat Leather).

I have a high-riding Askins Avenger style OWB from Privateer Leather that works well for me. Check them out, as they offer low, medium, and high-ride options in both Avenger and pancake-style OWB holsters.

I’m a huge Milt Sparks fan and own a very nice FBI-canted 55BN of theirs, but find that even it feels a little “low” on the belt for my taste. I have a Sparks Roadrunner (also known as the “old-style 60TK” by Sparks) on-order that should be finished soon. On paper, it should fill the bill perfectly, as it is both higher-riding and forward-canted.

Slapshot, Dub and gps man like this.
  8. OldCuz

OldCuz FREEDOM IS NOT FREE Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    About like these. Both TTGunleather.
    20200828_164244.jpg 20200828_164432.jpg 20200922_065350.jpg 20200922_065250.jpg

sparkyfender, BAArcher, DRD and 8 others like this.
  9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The 55BN I bought from Thunder Ranch is perfect for me.
    I find the straight drop awards more stability than the FBI can’t
    That feature is more important, to me, the ease of concealability

gps man likes this.
  10. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Start with a great belt, I like Bigfoot Belts, but there are many options out there. You'll end up with a few holsters before finding "the one", trust me :laugh:

Songcatcher, OldCuz and gps man like this.
  11. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I carry exclusively OWB @ 4:00 and like it tight to the body with an FBI cant. Most of the time I also assist the carry with belt hook suspenders, not for lack of a stiff belt, but lack of supporting ass. I use pancake holsters from 5Shot & WarBird exclusively.

DRD and Spokes like this.
  12. Badguybuster

Badguybuster Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I carry OWB exclusively as well. I prefer no cant and with the holster as low as i can get. Too high and your shoulder/elbow clearly telegraph your draw

13. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Straight drop. Not too high..I like the the straight drop Glock holster and the Theis holster I wear between the belt and the pants...

14. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200922_085950.jpg Bianchi Askins Avenger . Survived breaking up a dog fight where I was flipping around the ground like an MMA fighter . Gun stayed put and safety stayed on . Use it while doing my landscaping work and find it comfortable.
    That said I have a drawer full of holsters that I thought would be good but are not as good all around as this

Gary1911A1, hpguru and Spokes like this.
  15. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I’m a big fan of Bruce Nelson’s design as built by Milt Sparks in the 55BN.

I prefer a straight drop.

I have a number of this iteration by various makers, but Milt Sparks is the best.

Tight and close to the body. Pretty much the perfect ride height for me.

16. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    I prefer OWB carry and I like 0 cant on my holsters, with a ride height at about like this...

upload_2020-9-22_9-46-38.jpeg

Songcatcher, Cbzr1107 and OldCuz like this.
  17. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I much prefer zero cant as it is easier to draw than the FBI cant, like this Thad Rybka Rhodesian
    [​IMG]

and his Speed Scabbard
    [​IMG]

18. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
    This. I like maybe a 15* can’t.

19. 340pd

340pd Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2020
    There is a lot to consider. High and tight with a pancake allows you to carry OWB with even a tee shirt covering the gun. When I had a 55BN I found the holster moved the front gun away from my body making it a bit harder to conceal without printing.
    That said I recently bought a Warbird Leather pancake and a Wilson non reinforced Lo-profile. The two are in total contrast with the Warbird being very thick and stiff leather and the Wilson far more conforming and better suited for concealed OWB carry. Both have a needed place in my wardrobe.
    Cant is something only you can decide but remember a slight cant does make it much easier to conceal under a tee shirt as it keeps the butt of the gun closer to the body.
    Like all of us, you will undoubtedly wind up with the usual Box O' Holsters.

20. RMF308

RMF308 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Outside the waist, straight drop/zero can’t, high and tight, Sparks 55BN preferred or similar. No sweat guard. Single exterior mag carrier.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted