Thoughts about bobtailing next build

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Feb 5, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I have a bobtail on my Wilson Combat Professional RDP. I like the feel better than a regular grip and the look. I think with the Ed Brown bobtail jig and a little care I could do the bobtail myself. The reason I started building 1911's was to learn and broaden my skills regarding 1911's. I think I'll be using a CS STI frame with an Ed Brown bobtailed MSH. Comments or ideas are appreciated.
    Bill

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I still want to try it,........still have the bobtail jig in the gun box.

3. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    From a build perspective I could see going that route. I just hate the look as the only thing worse for me are FCS.
    See JH thread on shoes...my vote is for round butt
    [​IMG]

Oops, wrong pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    End of the day, it's your gun, your money, and ultimately, what you like.

If you like the feel of a bobtail, and have the desire to DIY, then go for it! One can't learn what one doesn't do for oneself.

5. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    You're absolutely right, that's the fun of building a 1911 or anything for that matter.
    Bill

6. ShootinSteel

ShootinSteel Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 7, 2012
    I 'm considering a round butt for my next build. I like the round butt better than the bobtail. I got big hands. Heck I like them all.

7. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    The one time I posted a thread with an interesting picture a forum member went off on me like a cheap Saturday night special with a hair trigger, I guess timing is everything. Thanks for the picture of a round butt I like the two tone pistol.
    Bill

8. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Like a bobtail on dedicated carry(smaller footprint), like traditional or rounded on everything else. Unless flush floorplate used on bobtail set-up, mags with floorplates look a little funky. You build what you prefer and that's all that matters, good luck.

9. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, I just got sold on the round butt, albeit in an unconventional way.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Mmmmmmmm, round butt!

11. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I've always wanted to try doing a bobtail. Maybe one of these days I will fire up the drill press and grinder and try one.

OP, I think you should go for it. You really can't screw it up too bad. I saw a video on YouTube once. He used an angle grinder to do his. I don't know if I would try that way but it looked pretty easy to keep the shape uniform using the sanding cookie he had on the grinder. It would probably be best to scribe the lines, grind the bulk of the material off and do the rest with a file.

How do you guys that have done a few do it?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  12. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    I was thinking about scribing the line just ahead of the desired location, then I'm going to tape off the rest of the butt. I was thinking about using a large Dremel with a fine diamond cut off wheel to cut off to the scribed line. I will complete the cut with a hand file and sand paper. I'm still away from doing it so ideas are appreciated.
    Bill

13. ShootinSteel

ShootinSteel Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 7, 2012
    Wow !If they could all look like that! I mean the gun.

14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I like both of those round butts. A round butt 1911 I have never seen in person.
    I live in South Florida so the other ones are all over the place.:grin:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted