Thoughts about the DW "ECP"

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BCD 45, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I was just wondering if anyone had experience with or opinions on the Dan Wesson ECP in either caliber but mostly 9mm?

I personally think it's a good looking pistol. Is this DW's answer to discontinuing the Valkyrie Commander? I wish it came with straight 8 nite sites instead of the brass bead but I've never shot one with the brass.

Thank you for any opinions or comments.

Jim D

2. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I was just about to post the same thread. I started looking at this. The brass bead is my choice of sights ( gold actually is what I prefer - potato patahto) The description reads that it is great for smaller hands. Does that mean the dimensions are smaller than a standard bobtail frame? Seems if they were looking to accomodate smaller hands, a short trigger would be in order.

It looks like a great piece to me. But if the grip is dimensionally different ( if it has thin grips, no problem, easy fix,) I'm out with my gorilla paws.

3. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Far as I know, the frame dimension is standard; the grips are beveled, making them narrower fore and aft, hence the "great for smaller hands" claim.

4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Badabing,

I spoke with a fellow at VZ and he said they make them specific for DW but you could use other VZ grips but it would take ordering new bushings. I surly thought by now someone would have commented about this pistol. I found a place to get a NIB non-blem for $1340 + $10 shipping.
    I do not want a "blem". Have you found them any cheaper?

Jim D

5. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    I've got 1700 ish flawless rounds through a 9mm version. Going to give it a go for the year.
    First brass bead sight, I do wish it was a little bigger but sights too can be changed. It is light compared to a steel frame and easy to carry.
    Frame is standard bobtail with thin bushings. "I changed mine out to challis" Grips are also thinner at the top than the bottom and there is a double O-ring on the top grip screws. I may change to standard thickness grips yet we will see. You do have to have a paperclip or something for take down with the 4" bull barrel.

6. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    The last 4" gun I had was a Kimber and it had terrible timing issues... mega malfunctions.

This ECP is pretty much how I would option out a commander sized gun except for the grips would be thicker.

LBZ, you said 1700 flawless rounds. Did you need to change the recoil springs along the way? On Kimber 4" guns I had to change them every 600 rounds. The write up on the ECP says the flat wire spring is good for 15,000 rounds.

Also, how is recoil compared to the steel gun. Does the bull barrel contain muzzle rize as effectively as a steel gun?

Thank you for your insights... "Right when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Jeff

7. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Badabing11, Still on the original recoil spring with no issues other than sometimes with lower velocity target ammo the last round in a mag will flop back on my shooting hand but it just rolls off right away. 147gr HST's all eject positively. I think they are running a 23# mainspring in them.
    Recoil, I would say muzzle rise is less than a steel framed .45 commander and softer of course with a little torque to the right. Hope this helps you a little.

Badabing11 likes this.
  8. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Thanks man, that helps a lot. Is it a 10 round mag that kicks the last round out softly, or a 9 round? Also what kind of mag ?

My old 4” Kimber would do the same thing, except it was 45 and only on the 3rd shot of an 8 round mag... I couldn’t dream up an explanation for that one.

9. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Badabing11,

I've got one coming & will be here next week.

Jim D

10. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    10 round Tripp's and only sometimes with lower velocity stuff. I really don't think it's a big deal.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted