close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on carrying an expensive gun

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Philip A., Aug 7, 2017.

1. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I have read time and again on the various firearms forums that people "don't carry their XXX Big Buck Shiny Banger" because if they happen to have to use it in self-defense, their pride and joy will end up in the Police's grabby sticky fingers.

Now, if one spends a lot of money to get the best gun he can find, the sweetest shooting one, the one that fits him like a glove, the one he can use to selectively shoot the left or the right testicle off a mosquito at twenty yards... why on Earth would he want to carry a cheaper gun that does not perform as well, and wager his life on the "may do the job" version?

Is it not wiser to play your strongest hand when the pot is all-or-nothing, then, in the unlikely event that you survive an actual gunfight and see your purebreed confiscated, grab whatever you can afford pending such a time that you get the "best of" gun back, or can afford another one?

Dunno, but when I'm tackling big things that can stomp you, I always pick the rifle that will best get me out of trouble (which happens to be my most expensive one), never worrying the least about what would happen if an irate mammoth smashed the walnut stock. When I look at my kids, that seems to be the right priority order...

Just shower thoughts in the morning.

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Carry the best gun you have, the one you are the most confident in and the one you shoot most accurately. I am tired of reading that line on the internet. The only time, at least in Georgia, that they are taking your gun is if it was a bad shoot and you are being charged criminally. I think at that point your expensive gun being In police custody is the least of your worries. Why would you not carry the best if it gives you the edge?

3. 1911wheelsnomore

1911wheelsnomore 1911ADDICT Supporting Addict

May 12, 2015
    I have both ( pricey builds ) and I carry both. ( Beater gun ) You can be effective with the guns you train with.
    I would trust my life and my family's lives on any gun I carry.
    Just my two cents.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I never got that whole expense vs. confiscation as the sole reason not to carry a particular gun. Within reason, of course. Particularly if one give you measurably better performance.

On a side note, the whole shower thought thing ruined it for me. I had an boss years ago. Whenever she said I had an idea in the shower, we knew we were in for some stupid sh....stuff. To this day, where I work "shower idea" has a negative context, as you can imagine. ;)

Firestorm, Kip, Stogies and 2 others like this.
  5. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    I subscribe to --why let the cops get their hands on a great and expensive gun when one of my plastic fantastics will work just fine and can be replaced rapidly and inexpensively?

it is tempting to carry a nice 1911 but why risk the loss of $$ and the time it would take to replace it through a custom order

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider the Signature Line before replying . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    I kno, das wut keeps my Jimenez outta my daily EDC rotation . . . .

(This is probably the first time "Jimenez" has been typed on this forum. Zoid, always breaking new ground.)

Firestorm, cghelton, LPRoad and 7 others like this.
  7. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Way to go Curly.. you ruined or high snobbery

Kip and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Also, the actual likelihood of you being in a self defense situation is small, and the liklihood of the cops taking your gun after that is small again. So I wouldn't worry about it.

***Not saying it's not important to train like it'll happen tomorrow***

LPRoad, Kip, SCS1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. Pennywise827

Pennywise827 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 23, 2017
    This argument is the basis for most concealed carry opponents as well...

I carry what I am most comfortable with, regardless of price. The only thing that makes a difference is concealability. I don't usually walk around toting my Coonan Classic, even though I love the 357 mag round and I shoot it very well. Instead it sits on the nightstand.

Kip likes this.
  10. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Odds of having to use the pistol are extremely small (yet consequences of not having it when needed could be huge).

I have more than one pistol. If one were taken by the police (probably would happen for ballistics matching, I would assume), I will just carry another one.

Firestorm, cghelton, ronin11 and 3 others like this.
  11. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Doesn't mean it's untrue

Badabing11 and Pennywise827 like this.
  12. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    My best carry gun has never been my favorite or most expensive gun...
    You are involved in a shooting where I was a copper and got your weapon taken away for evidence just forget about it.
    If you happen to get it back your jewel by hiring a very high price attorney you will get back a rusted beat up hunk of junk..

Badabing11 likes this.
  13. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Unless I'm just running to the hardware store quickly and throw a mouse gun in my pocket, I carry one of my Wilson's. I shoot them the most, shoot them the best and have all the confidence in the world in them.

If something happens and one is taken by the police, that will be the least of my worries. Could not just run to the LGS to get another and being retired now the cost factor would be a little more of an issue.

I also don't drive a cheap beater car just because somewhat might run into me on the road. My newer car offers me more safety protections and features that makes it worthwhile even though something could happen to it. Kind of like my Wilson's.

Myself and my family deserve the protection that my Wilson's give me.

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Great analogy with the car. Two years ago, the wife and I bought a Corvette as a third car (we bought it used). At first we're like, we'll only drive it on special occasions. Soon after I was like, screw that! It's a fun car to drive, and I drive it all the time when appropriate. Life is too short, and you can't take it with you.

CCC, esmith1721, cghelton and 6 others like this.
  15. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER

Apr 5, 2015
    I simply decided to carry a beater(albeit it only has scratches) Commander that I shoot well. That. In the summer time it is a G43. Sometimes my trusty J frame. They work fine. Guns I have "feelings" for, I leave in the safe. However, I get both viewpoints. I don't really own super expensive guns, maybe 2 or 3 that are worth more than 1,500 bucks a piece. A couple of rare ones or that have been hot rodded a little. Zoid's remark made me laugh, I recall my first regular carry piece, a Jennings 22. Thought that would be a huge deterrent. Wow. Times have changed in the past 35 years.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2013
    Eh, I just figure if I have to use one of my pricey guns, I'm just gonna send the video surveillance footage to the smith or manufacturer and let them know their gun saved my life. Use this for advertisement at how reliable your guns are. Hoping they'll send me a replacement while my impounded piece sits in evidence getting the **** knocked out of it or getting shot by some cop with good taste.

Joe C, ericskennard, cghelton and 8 others like this.
  17. mikegalway

mikegalway DILLIGAF Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I carry what ever I feel like , mainly depending on seasonal temp and my mood . I don't own any gun that isn't accurate and reliable . Some guns are just too large and heavy for daily carry . I've been carrying a S&W 69 , 44 rev . , But Sat. I picked up a Sig . P220 SAS compact . Sun. went to the range , put 100 rounds thru it . Accurate and 100 % reliable . Now in carry mode .

ronin11 and Kip like this.
  18. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Carry what you want to carry, if you're worried about losing it buy a cheap police surplus Glock or M&P, chances are it'll be reliable and 'minute of mope' accurate.

On the other hand, if your preference is to carry quality pistols or revolvers that you know you can trust because they're unquestionably accurate and reliable, go that route.

Time and Darwin have solved this riddle for me. I've owned scores of handguns over the years, slowly whittling them down to my current inventory and at this point I don't have anything carry appropriate that is what I would consider inexpensive. So, it makes no real monetary difference which one I choose to carry, the majority are built for carry/self defense. I go with what is most appropriate for the moment. It also helps to have extra guns to carry in case you lose one, you don't worry so much about these "What will I carry if they take it" BS scenarios.

Weiker, cghelton and Kip like this.
  19. johnholliday

johnholliday Active Member

Apr 11, 2017
    If I'm unfortunate enough to find myself having to defend mine, or my families lives, I want the fight to be as unfair in my direction as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCC, cghelton, Kip and 2 others like this.
  20. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    :thumbs:

Badabing11, Kip and Spokes like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted