Thoughts on Ed Brown

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by azguy1911, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. azguy1911

azguy1911 Collection Complete Supporting Addict

Oct 22, 2015
    Here's some random thoughts on Ed Brown, I'm not talking about the gun (cause I have not shot it yet) but the experience and delivery impressions.

First off, they delivered the gun incorrectly. I had ordered the CCO Lightweight with the Kobra treatment on the rear cocking serrations and they overlooked that. So, I'm sending the gun back. I know sh*t happens, but it got me thinking.

Having ordered a few Wilson's and just bought a pre-owned Nighthawk how did the delivery experience compare?

Actually, I think it's quite disappointing for a $3,900 1911. Oh, and the rear night site is dated 2015, the front 2017.

There's not one reference to the build or anything they deliver with the gun that shows my serial #. No check list, no list of the smith's that worked on the gun, no test target, not a sticker, pamphlet, piece of sales material or a thank you letter from Ed Brown.

There's a very generic owner guide with one picture. No join the NRA pamphlet, nothing.

What I got was:
    • A bushing wrench
    • ED Brown oil
    • Allen wrench (1)
    • Gun lock
    • Owners Guide
    • 2 magazines
    • soft case
    With Wilson I felt like I was part of a family. I know, it's stupid. But the checklist, test target, dog tag, shiny sales material, stickers, a patch and even a free year of NRA membership made me feel like I had just received something special.

Thoughts ? Am I crazy or will all be forgiven when I shoot the gun ?

JKH1911D.jpg

Badguybuster, FredZ, RN47 and 9 others like this.
  2. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    I prefer WC . you stated a few reasons. my experience and the weapons are just better with WC(for me)

brzusa and AJP like this.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Interesting & surprising, I’ve never bought a new Brown but not what I’d expect at that price or from a competitor of Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boatdoc, Journeyman1234 and Sawgrass like this.
  4. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 2, 2017
    I think first impressions are important , and lasting . From your post , your experience more resembles shopping at Walmart than a semi custom gunsmith . I don't mean to imply that the quality is not there , but when you drop four grand for a pistol you'd at least like to feel like it was a special purchase . This one clearly didn't start out that way . Just my .02 . Good luck !

4t5acp, 2sharp2, boatdoc and 7 others like this.
  5. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2017
    I noticed the Kobra treatment wasn't on the rear serrations when you first posted it, so just assumed the gun pictured was a representation and not your actual gun. Now I feel I should have said something back then.

I can completely understand your sentiments and agree with them. I guess I would have expected a little more, too. Especially since there's so much "feelings" involved in 1911's (at least for me). I like for it to all be an "experience" as opposed to just "here's your gun."

However, having never shot a Brown, all could very well be forgiven after shooting it...

Dwe, cdentata, 2sharp2 and 4 others like this.
  6. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    @azguy1911 how did Brown respond when you contacted them to tell them the gun was incorrect? Did you mention the sights?

blitz45 likes this.
  7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    I've always been a fan of Brown, but after I've seen what's been coming from them in marketing and design, this doesn't surprise me.

It's almost like the company got sold to Cabot or Jesse James sometime over the last 12 months . . . .

nnylf7, Bro. Pappaw, cdentata and 6 others like this.
  8. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2016
    This is why I have moved from Ed Brown to Nighthawk. I shot Browns for years, and never felt like they cared about their customers like Wilson, Baer or NH. Brown makes a nice gun, but the 1911 market has changed. Customers like service at a higher level today, and I think Brown could do some catching up here.

nnylf7, boatdoc and ronin11 like this.
  9. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    So far, I have worked with George at Gunslingers on the issue. For the record, he missed the mistake too. So, he's not going over the gun and the order form and making sure your gun is correct - as ordered.

When he sent me pictures I was looking at them on my phone and didn't even notice it. Later that night when I got home I noticed the RCS and contacted George.

He gave me the name and number of someone at Brown to contact for a shipping label.

They have contacted me and I expect a label in a few hours.

In my last email I mentioned the 2015 rear night sight.

We'll see.

Blue Ridge, boatdoc, cdentata and 5 others like this.
  10. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    They are definitely off my list after seeing recent posts here. I’m sure the quality is great, but the service seems questionable.

boatdoc, cdentata and simonp like this.
  11. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    Where are "rear cocking serrations" located?

12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Sorry about your first impression of a fine pistol , though they may not supplied the swag you expected,my experience with the
    Pistol has been exceptional.
    Imho , the fit finish and accuracy of my Ed Brown pistols has been a
    Step up from other semi-customs I’ve owned . The Stainless finish
    Boarders on art .
    Shoot your pistol and enjoy it , please don’t get me wrong and the following is not critical,but you purchased a Pistol that will provide
    You with years of service ,you would be hard pressed to defend
    Yourself with stickers ,pamphlets and build sheets .
    Give the pistol an even break and enjoy.

TexasBB, Blue Ridge, gps man and 2 others like this.
  13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 6, 2017
    Definitely not crazy. This seems to be the new normal for most businesses nowadays. I expect a certain level of appreciation for my patronage and the more I spend on something the more expectations I have. It is a two way street and the expectations need to be reasonable. Luckily we have choices and with forums like this one we have the ability to let others know about our experiences. I don't sense any bashing in your post only disappointment.

boatdoc, 1L26, ronin11 and 2 others like this.
  14. william adams

william adams Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    um, on the rear of the slide

I would be severely disappointed. As that represents a lot of money to me. You should get exactly what you ordered. Stuff happens, I suppose. But older night sights? I, personally don't care about the swag, but the pistol should've been as ordered and with fresh, crisp parts.

Blue Ridge, 1L26, WC145 and 6 others like this.
  15. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I think that Slapshot and others hit the nail on the head. I don’t think anyone questions that Ed Brown 1911s are top notch quality but when one spends $4K or even $3K on a gun one expects a certain level of customer service, attention to you and for the product to be exactly how you ordered it.

16. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    Tac45, I get it and understand totally- I'm all about the gun.

I probably wouldn't have ever made this post if the gun hadn't gone through HOW many hands at Ed Brown and not a single person noticed that the rear cocking serrations were wrong ??

And, it seems as though a test target is like the minimum expected in the "semi-custom" business. Or even the smith that final checked the gun.

I use to buy, sell and trade a lot of high end watches, if you don't have box, papers and swag it'll diminish the value of the watch by hundreds to thousands of dollars. Some would say that's silly a Rolex is a Rolex, I don't need the box. Others would say a complete set is the only way to buy one

Think about what a Wilson would be worth if two identical guns were being sold, one with everything the gun shipped with and one just the gun ?? $500 maybe ??

boatdoc, WC145, Slapshot and 5 others like this.
  17. blitz45

blitz45 Cogito ergo armatus sum Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

And of course FCS (front cocking serrations) would be on the front.

18. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    Here's the reply by Brown on the night site:

On the tritium sights, those vials last for many years and are covered by Trijicon's warranty on their inserts, I feel certain you have a long many years of them performing for you. I have sights that are decades old and work very well. These days more and more are choosing plain rear with a fiber optic front so tritium is not as high of demand as in years past. Again I see no worries with the inserts.

Blue Ridge likes this.
  19. azguy1911

Oct 22, 2015
    For the record, I'm not a sh*t stirrer or trying to make trouble for Brown. It may end up being the best purchase I ever made and my most favorite 1911.

I'm simply sharing my experience for other addicts.

I will tell you, the trigger and safety are the best I ever felt. Period.

Blue Ridge, gps man, cdentata and 9 others like this.
  20. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Sorry but I’d take issue with that response if it was me. I think tritium sights last about a decade at most, at least they have for me. If you send me sights that are 2-3 years old then I’m going to have to replace them sooner. The fact that fewer people are ordering them and you have old stock shouldn’t become my problem. The correct answer should have been we will swap them for current year production sights for free, I’m sorry and is there anything else we can do to make sure you’re happy when you get the gun back.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted