1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a DW ECO and while it feels good in my hand it doesn't feel perfect. I think an extended mag would help as the meat on my pinky finger wouldn't roll ever so slightly parallel to the base of the mag/grip (if that makes sense). I was looking at the Wilson Combat 8 round mag: https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-M...lack-Fluoropolymer-Finish/productinfo/47DOXB/

Has anyone tried this in a very small 1911? If so, what are your impressions carrying? I have a IWB warbird holster and the gun is quite comfortable for EDC.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
Kind of negates the purpose of the shorter Officer length grip frame. Grip length and how it fills my hand is one of the reasons I generally carry a Commander or Gov't and my 1991A1 Compact spends most of it's time in the safe.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of negates the purpose of the shorter Officer length grip frame. Grip length and how it fills my hand is one of the reasons I generally carry a Commander or Gov't and my 1991A1 Compact spends most of it's time in the safe.
Yeah in retrospect I probably should have bought the ECP version from DW (4" barrel, 8-round, and slightly longer grip/frame), BUT I DO love the 3.5" barrel profile and it's slightly lighter. I figure an extended mag would do the trick.

·
Premium Member
28,391 Posts
Should work well.
Keep in mind, whatever mag you chose, it must have an insertion limiting tab or baseplate. Damage can happen to the ejector if a mag is over inserted

·
Registered
585 Posts
I personally think that most people constrain themselves by looking at grip length as a black or white thing. For me, a full size grip does not conceal well enough because I carry in the 4 o’clock position and it prints. Like you, an officer frame gave me too little grip. It seems counter intuitive, but I added a WC round butt mag well on my officer frame and use a Tripp mag with the pad extending up the front. It gave me the benefit of a mag well for reloading, the additional round capacity and the entire package is still smaller than a full size grip. It carries very well for me. There’s more than one way to skin the cat.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I personally think that most people constrain themselves by looking at grip length as a black or white thing. For me, a full size grip does not conceal well enough because I carry in the 4 o’clock position and it prints. Like you, an officer frame gave me too little grip. It seems counter intuitive, but I added a WC round butt mag well on my officer frame and use a Tripp mag with the pad extending up the front. It gave me the benefit of a mag well for reloading, the additional round capacity and the entire package is still smaller than a full size grip. It carries very well for me. There’s more than one way to skin the cat.
Exactly this for me. Put a WC round butt Magwell on my Alchemy Brimstone CCO and it is perfect. Carry it with WC 7-round Mag and carry a spare that’s an 8 with the plate.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
Should work well.
Keep in mind, whatever mag you chose, it must have an insertion limiting tab or baseplate. Damage can happen to the ejector if a mag is over inserted
Wilson Combat makes baseplate for the 47D mags so you can’t over insert them in an officers size frame.

I’m seriously thinking of adding a Chen gen 2 magwell to my Dan Wesson CCO for a little extra grip length. The way it is now it stays in my safe. I just don’t like CCOs but they are close.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wanted to run extended tube CMI Government length eight round magazines in Officer's size frames so I bought a couple of their SBP Extended Bumper Pads which Check-mate uses on their 10 round magazines to experiment with.

The next thing I did was disassemble a standard eight round mag, cover the bottom third of it with Dykem, lock it into an Officer's Model frame, and carefully use the bottom of the frame as a guide to mark its outline onto the magazine. Then I reassembled the mag and measured from the bottom of the mag pad up to the lines scribed into the Dykem and transferred those measurements to the new bumper pad. Here's a pic of the Dykem applied to the first mag. If you look closely, you can see a thin white line where I scribed the outline of the frame onto the mag.

After that it was a simple matter of cutting, filing, and sanding the polymer base pad until it allowed the eight round mag to seat into the Officer's frame. Now the eight round mags cannot be over-inserted, they run perfectly, and will be used as CCW spares on my belt.

Below are some pics of a Colt CCO that I tweaked a few years ago and one of my favorites for CCW (new sights, trigger, grip safety, slide stop). This first pic shows it with a standard, flush fit six round mag in place.

Here it is with a standard eight round mag fully seated. You can see the problem I was attempting to solve with my experiment. Over-insertion is definitely a concern here.

Finally, here it is with the same eight round mag seated but with my homemade bumper installed. A perfect fit, if I do say so myself. Problem solved.

Below are three magazines so you can see the differences. Standard flush fit six round, standard eight round extended tube with standard bumper pad, and standard eight round extended tube with homemade bumper pad.

Below is what the SBP Extended Bumper Pad looked like before and after my surgery on it.

Every mag I have gets heavily used on the range and during IDPA matches. These are no different. In fact, the eight round mags that have these new base pads have already seen hundreds of rounds through them with no malfunctions.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I have the same issue....I have a DW CCO .45acp - same frame as your ECO (and I have an ECO in 9mm too) and I installed a Smith & Alexander arched mainspring housing/magwell combination....this gave me a bit more purchase (the arched MSH pushes my hand up a bit more) and I run an extended 8 round magazine which gives me the same height as a full sized frame when the mag is inserted.

**NOTE: pictured is a regular 8 round mag...I run the Wilson 8 round extended for Officers framed 1911's...this one has the tab to prevent over insertion**

Some will say "a CCO with an extended 8 round mag is the same as a full sized frame Commander...just get a Commander".....to that I say - well, you can make an Officers framed CCO LARGER OR SMALLER with your mag choice...not so much with a full sized frame Commander...can't make it shorter/smaller....

Attachments

Reactions: Riflecrank

·
Premium Member
28,391 Posts
Wilson Combat makes baseplate for the 47D mags so you can’t over insert them in an officers size frame.

I’m seriously thinking of adding a Chen gen 2 magwell to my Dan Wesson CCO for a little extra grip length. The way it is now it stays in my safe. I just don’t like CCOs but they are close.
yep, I know all about that. There have been people in the past that have ran standard magazines in a CCO. Then they had issues. I have also seen a few install tabs on standard mags so they could be used in a CCO

·
just one more
656 Posts
grip length is by far the hardest dimension for me to hide when concealed, then width/grip thickness, and lastly barrel length. So I always opt for a flush fit magazine for carry. Now reloads I want an extended if possible so solutions like your fit that bill. Seems now you just have to run the gun enough to be sure it's reliable, should only take a few K rounds (LOL)...a nice issue to have I'd say ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
There have been people in the past that have ran (sic) standard magazines in a CCO. Then they had issues.
The beauty of using the Check-mates is that the extended bumper pads can be cut so that the front and both sides simultaneously contact the bottom of the frame perfectly flat. The result is that the force of contact is spread over a lot of surface area instead of just one spot. This makes it highly unlikely that the bumper pads will ever suffer a catastrophic mechanical failure even with repeated, extreme slamming during panic reloads.

Bender, what "issues" have been reported using standard mags in CCOs?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Bent and or broken ejectors as well as jams from the mag being over inserted
...exactly....I will also add that mag's that don't have the bumpers, in addition to being possibly over-inserted, sometimes don't "line up" correctly leading to a failure to Feed a round (round nose dives into the feed ramp)....

I had this happen with 2 8 round full size mags that I was using (until I got my Wilson extended ones for an Officers frame)....I noticed that all of a sudden I had some failure to Feed's...I discovered that if I put SLIGHT upward pressure on the mag (from the bottom with my pinky) then the top round would feed without issue....it only occurred with 2 full size 8 round mags....the 8 round extended mags with bumpers from Wilson have never been an issue.....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Back in the mid 80s I bought a little Detonics as a backup to the Colt Gov which was my main carry (too much Miami Vice maybe). Anyway my little finger had, and still has no place to go with that little guy.

I used and still use full lenth mags in it but am careful when I shove them in. Never had any problems over the years.

Of course Officers length mags work in it also.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I recently modified ten more base pads so I could have more 8 round mags that would correctly fit compact frames like Officers and CCO pistols.

Rather than measuring this time, I simply used one of the previously modified base pads to trace a line onto my next victim.

Cutting was faster using a sawzall blade by hand after first scribing along the line using a Dremel cut off wheel. The Dremel melted the plastic if held in place too long so I lightly cut a groove that would keep the sawzall blade lined up.

Here's a base pad with one side removed down to the scribe line. You can see the opposite side has been cut through also. All it needs now is a vertical cut to intersect the horizontal cut so that section can be removed. You can also see a cut at the front where the new front tab will be located.

Here are 10 base pads that have been "roughed in". At this point they've all been fit so that there is minimal clearance between all three contact areas on each of them them and the pistol frame. This is much stronger than just the single contact point at the cut out at the front of the frame common to all magazine manufacturers. You could pound a magazine into the frame with a ball peen hammer and these base pads would probably withstand the punishment much longer than any other method of preventing over-insertion.

It took lots of filing and sanding to get to this point. The finishing touch of polishing the cut surfaces comes next.

Here are two pistol cases loaded up with standard 6 round mags and 8 round mags with their new base pads. One case is for a CCO while the other is for an Officer's Model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts