1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time I've been looking at the Smith and Wesson 327 Performance Center as an EDC gun. Its light weight and compact but I think the reason I really like it is because of its looks.

So now I'm reaching out to you guys for opinions of the gun. Does anybody have one, or fired one? How's the recoil, handling, ability to conceal v. a commander size 1911 in .45?

I'm not a revolver guy and if I bought it, the 327 would be the first revolver I've owned. Basically looking for people to talk me out of it at this point.

The gun in question:

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,614 Posts
Cool guns, I've always kind of wanted one but never picked one up. However, I have had numerous other N-fame S&Ws, both steel and scandium framed, including scandium snubbies. The revolver in question has a scandium alloy frame and a titanium cylinder, making it very light for it's size but don't let the weight fool you, any N-frame S&W (even a pug nosed snubby) is a large gun with a large diameter cylinder. Forget about pocket or ankle carry, it's not a J-frame, it just won't fit, and concealing the bulge of the cylinder in a belt holster either IWB or OWB, can be a challenge. That said, if you can work it out, S&W revolvers are great carry guns, accurate and reliable, and PC guns normally have a better than average action/trigger pull. Shooting full house .357mags in a sub-23oz gun with a 2" barrel will make you sit up and take notice with plenty of recoil and muzzle blast, though a larger grip like the one in the picture you posted helps with controlling that recoil.

With all of that said, they're cool guns, accurate and fast handling, will last forever, and make great carry guns if you can get around the concealment challenges a large frame revolver presents. However, a 1911 is much easier to conceal by comparison thanks mostly to the slim profile. Also, while the .357mag is still a powerful round out of a 2" barrel, it does suffer ballistically from that short barrel. If I was looking at carrying this revolver for the fire power I'd be comparing it to a lightweight 9x23 or 10mm Commander rather than a .45. The 9x23 with 125gr factory ammo almost exactly replicates the ballistics of the 125gr .357mag and you have the advantage of an 11rd capacity. Hornady offers a 155gr 10mm round that is another viable option if you're looking to replicate or exceed the ballistics of the .357mag in a 1911 pistol. Of course, reloading is also something to consider when comparing a revolver to a 1911, the auto being much faster to reload, even though the 327PC cylinder is cut for moonclips. If you haven't tried to load an 8rd moonclip full of .357s into a revolver cylinder quickly, it's like trying to stuff a big spider in there, the rounds are long and kind of spindly and are not held as firmly in place as with a speed loader so they tend to want to go every direction but straight into the chambers. 9mm and .45ACP revolvers are much easier to reload with moonclips with their shorter rounds.

I like revolvers, own a number of them, and often carry my large frame revolvers OWB in cooler weather when I can conceal them more easily, or around the farm when concealment is not an issue. But, more often than not, I prefer to carry a 1911 for the nearly ideal balance of power, capacity, and concealability that it provides.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I am not the OP, but WC145 posted an excellent reply. As a revolver shooter since around 1970, I whole heartedly agree with everything he said. When I decided to buy a compact 357, I bought a Kimber K6S DASA. I own several N frames, and they are huge, compared to the J frames or the Kimber revolver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts