1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to replace several 1911s and want three with as an identical”feel” as is possible. I will have extensive customization on one or two and enough on the third to make it feel the same. The intent is to make practice and drill with one weapon to generalize to the others. I would like to finally have a 5” full size, a 4”+- lightweight and a 3-3.5 “ CC. One area of difficulty is that the 3”models are built on a smaller frame and the shorter magazine capacity affects the hand position/feel on the grip. Any thoughts or suggestion?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Do you have a pistol you're starting with that you want to use in this "set?"

If starting fresh, first need to idetify budget...

Custom guns - there are some amazing smiths that contribute here that would be able to put those together for you. Some with turn around times that are reasonable. Just buy your base guns and send em in! Some amazing examples pop up here for excellent prices.

Guncrafter

NH, WC, EB, Baer

Colt/Springfield

RIA

·
Never Forget
9,390 Posts
Did you say Colt?
Oh yeah. :p
Oh yes I did. Lol
He can start out spending 3 grand for three guns that feel the same. Or he can buy three (insert brand here semi- customs) and spend a little less than 9 grand. He may end up spending 9 or better in the end, but he can choose exactly what he wants. Just my opinion. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You could get any three brands and then modify them as time/money permits so they are similar.

1. Tune triggers so they are close if not where there is no perceptible difference.
2. Same sets of sights installed.
3. Same or close safeties/slide stop
4. Similar grips/front strap treatments.

VIOLA.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
24,099 Posts
I'll split the difference with you and go $4500 for the Wesson's.
Just my opinionated behinds choice.
But that's my happy place Dan Wesson.
No more, no less.

All are good choices Wesson's, springer's, colts, semi customs. It all comes down to what you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
1.) Any Kimber Custom 5"
2.) Any Kimber Pro 4"
3.) And any Kimber Ultra 3" w/Compact Grip.

:D

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,492 Posts
:cigar::cigar::cigar:
Well you know what I'm going to say...
Dan Wesson Valor
Dan Wesson Guardian
Dan Wesson Valkyrie
I'm totally with Wheels on this one! Albeit if I had it to do over again they would all be 9mm.:cigar:

I have a 5" Volkmann in 45
A 4" Volkman bobtail in 45
And I'd love to have a Volkmann lightweight commander in 45

I'd like to do the same with my Dan Wessons, but only in 9mm. So far I just have a pm9 5"that I am smitten with. Now for a commander, and a lightweight commander.

I may be off base a little, but it seems like I remember a lot more posts on reliability issues on guns < 4". Nonetheless , a 3" would be a hoot if I had the confidence that it would run out of the box.

Guys with the sub 4" guns, who does a the best with the 3" to 3.5" guns? Kimber makes a lot of em. But you'll also read a lot on Kimber failures with the shorty barrels. However I'll wager that Kimber sells more 3" guns than anyone . Ya tend to hear mostly complaints , but it could just be proportional to their volume of sales.

I'll go out on a limb here and say colt on the 3" model. Jmho.

Ymmv

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,492 Posts
Welcome to the Addicts Forum Steve0311! Great folks on here. You'll like it.

I like the way you think in 3s when it comes to pistols. Makes perfect sense!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,354 Posts
If your planning on one or two being heavily customized, why not have the three inch be one of those. Have a three inch built on a full size frame. That way, the feel will be the same as the other two, and you wont need to worry about anything. I know it can be done, I've seen it, just don't remember where. If I find it, I'll post it.

Reactions: Babboonbobo
1 - 20 of 25 Posts