1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2020 Dan Wesson V-Bob. These new pistols have ambi safeties which I have no use for.

I’d like to get opinions on the best single-side thumb safety on the market. I’m currently leaning towards the Harrison TAC in stainless. Anyone have experience with this?

Would it be best to send it to Dan Wesson and just have them supply and fit a new one?

416B9439-BD54-4447-9345-8E2A2D9C0336.jpeg

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wilson's Bullet Proof thumb safeties are my favorite out of the box. They are well made and nicely contoured, making them very comfortable. Harrison's are high quality parts. If you like the style, it is hard to go wrong with his part.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Well, it is not difficult to do, but it is a safety so make sure you know what you are doing.

If you want to maintain the factory look, send it back. If that if not important, try it yourself. Just run it through a function test when complete.

Alternately....many competent pistol smith on here.....

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Wilson's Bullet Proof thumb safeties are my favorite out of the box. They are well made and nicely contoured, making them very comfortable. Harrison's are high quality parts. If you like the style, it is hard to go wrong with his part.
Second this^^^^

Very much worth the extra dough

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
And have them send the ambi safety back to you as spare parts. I'm sure one of us would be more than happy to buy it off of you, thereby reducing your out of pocket costs (pick me, pick me).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Just bought a used pistol of the Forum here with a Wilson Bullet proof safety on it.
Nicest Sigle sided safety I've used in 40+ years of 1911 shooting and working on them!
I vote Wilson Bullet proof.
Most any competent local GS can install a 1911 safety.

·
Edge of Glory
149 Posts
I really like the single-side safety on my 2016 VBOB. I'm sure DW has more exactly like it.

That being said, two weeks ago, with all ten thumbs, I installed a Wilson Combat bullet proof on my (name withheld out of embarrassment) after watching a Jason Burton U-Tube video. I don't think I took more than 12 swipes with the file and it feels better than the ambi I took off. As close to drop in as I could imagine. Since it was my first attempt, I had local smith inspect my work.

I did have an EGW in the bullpen just in case things went south.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may be worth learning to fit a thumb safety yourself. Overnight shipping to and from DW will likely exceed the cost of the thumb safety itself.
Thanks all for the advice. That’s a good point regarding shipping cost, makes me reconsider. I think I’m going to try to fit a Wilson on my own, worst case I’m only out $60 if I screw it up.

·
Enabler
3,409 Posts
10-8 Armorers block is what you need. My only life skill is fitting ambi safeties with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Wilson BP or EGW, can’t go wrong with either, top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's a pic in which you can see an EGW thumb safety that I whittled to fit my thumb better. Compare it to Moad's pic of a stock EGW safety above. I radically rounded the back of the paddle and shaped the front to just barely clear the grip when pushed down.

Here's another pic but from the rear. There are no sharp edges anywhere that might come into contact with my thumb but the paddle is big enough and far enough forward to allow for a maximum amount of leverage.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I use the EGW thumb safety on all of my builds. But if you don’t want to whittle it down to your desired shape and size a Novak thumb safety may be a closer match to the original.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts