1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a good quality teardrop safety? I have the Harrison retro and i am not crazy about it. Looking for something like the Colt part but maybe a little bit wider.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No one makes a decent one that I am aware of. I think a Novak thumb safety could be re profiled to a retro teardrop though. I am considering going that route for my next project.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jason Burton uses a bunch of this style on his builds but he may make them or reprofile something to get this look. The novak looks close but the ledge does not go far enough to the rear it doen't seem. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, I know Jason makes or re profiles his own, Here are a couple pics for comparison of Novak's and Jason's work. Springfield makes a nice looking tear drop that they put on their new Mil Specs, but I don't know how the fit and finish is, and I don't know if their "black version" is blued or parkerized. Maybe if we are lucky Jason will let the beans spill on what he uses as a base.
Gun Brown Firearm White Trigger

This Novak has been trimmed
Brown Product Gun Firearm Photograph

And of course here is the Heirloom Precision
Gun Firearm Trigger Hardwood Gun accessory

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the Springfield part earlier. There is one place online that has it available but it doesn't say if it is blue or parkerized. I would assume it is parked.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
@AJP Im not understanding the pic of the Alchemy. That’s my old pistol, I took that pic, and it’s bone stock. I think Rob uses an egw safety.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Black Gun accessory
I just fit a Wilson 6bn to this colt. Had to get the ambi off of it because it was scratching up the right hand side of the frame and I'm not a fan of an ambi anyway. Its nice but not exactly the look I was after.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
@AJP Im not understanding the pic of the Alchemy. That’s my old pistol, I took that pic, and it’s bone stock. I think Rob uses an egw safety.
Rob uses Novaks. He switched to them from Cylinder and Slide fairly early in the production run. It is a beautiful gun, hence why I saved the pic

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Rob uses Novaks. He switched to them from Cylinder and Slide fairly early in the production run. It is a beautiful gun, hence why I saved the pic
Ah, well I’m glad you know what the thumb safety is bc I asked Steve Owens to use the same one on the Alchemy for my upcoming build. Thank you.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,440 Posts
From the looks of the pics @bnaples it looks to me like the trimmed novak would get you where you might want to go. Just about any carbon TS can be bobbed back so if you look at even a really wife one they can be profiled to get you what your looking for. If you want something with a wider lever, you might need to go to an Ed Brown wide or WC makes a pretty wide one.. Also there are some cold blue products available and some diy bluing solutions you can use in your microwave to rematch the finish pretty close. After they are done if you treat them just like hot blue and soak them in oil for a day or two the finish becomes a bit more durable and should look near identical to the other blued parts on your gun..

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My issue is that the pad does not come back to the very back of the flat. Like looking for a needle in a haystack.

·
Premium Member
28,418 Posts
Who makes a good quality teardrop safety? I have the Harrison retro and i am not crazy about it. Looking for something like the Colt part but maybe a little bit wider.
I believe a Smith could modify one to suit your needs.
Reach out to the well known one you have dealt with and explain what you are looking for.
In regards to a later comment you made, a parked piece can be polished and blued.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its ridiculous that this is so difficult to find.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,440 Posts
Are you saying you want the lever to start further further back to the rear of the pad? If you just need one like the Colt only the lever protrudes out further left let's say then a Wide Ed Brown should be able to be modified to look like a teardrop safety.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you saying you want the lever to start further further back to the rear of the pad? If you just need one like the Colt only the lever protrudes out further left let's say then a Wide Ed Brown should be able to be modified to look like a teardrop safety.
Tan Material property Everyday carry Strap Silver
yes, see how the ledge goes all the way to the back of the safety? Most extended safeties would not work to make this look.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Midway is pretty good about their parts & who makes them.
Midway:
"This is an original factory replacement part from Colt. Factory replacement parts are manufactured with the same specifications and are made with the same material as the original parts."

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have an "enlarged teardrop" but it has been on the gun for so long that I do not remember what it started as. FLG similarly uses a "giant GI".

I don't think anybody makes them, except by cutting down an extended lever.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts