Thumb Safety re-work

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by zipper046, Dec 15, 2018.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    So...I'm left-handed (yeah, yeah....i'm "not right", LOL) and need to have ambidextrous thumb safeties in my guns. As such I've gotten pretty good installing them....but my problem is that I have a high thumb hold and many off-the-shelf ambi-safeties are pretty thick towards the rear and sharp and they dig into the web of my hand between my thumb and trigger finger causing blisters and irritations (yeah, yeah..."keep shooting, dummy, you'll build calluses and be fine"....LOL).

So, today I finally decided to re-work and re-contour the safety in my USPSA Single Stack rig. I forgot to take "before" pic's, so I have a pic of the same safety on my Kimber (which is going to get the same treatment now!)

It started as a stock STI safety.....
    kimberframe3.JPG

I then used a flat needle file and round needle file and I worked and shaped it....

TS4.JPG

Here is a comparison with the same one in Blue....

TS3.JPG

Here it is installed.....

View attachment 189783
    It is much better on my hand and feels MUCH better when shooting.....now to do the same on my others.....

2. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Nothing wrong with that. Got rid of all the sharp edges and looks purty too, 2 birds with one stone.. Grt work.

4. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks guys! It's interesting learning which files to use for what...the flat needle file was fine for removing alot of material, and when I ran it along the round contour it did fine....but the round file (rat-tail) was good for getting some roundedness also.....I guess, LOL.

On to some others and then to get them all refinished.....at some point, looking to do some frame filing...LOL....

Kip likes this.
  5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Nice work!
    Make it fit YOU,not the other way around!

gps man and 1911 dawg like this.
  6. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Going to have to modify some STI safeties here in the future as well.....Being a lefty my hand gets pinched between the left side safety and frame (we've talked about this before). Need to get me some files instead of winging it with a Dremel. :D

zipper046 likes this.
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've been doing this to my 1911 style competition and carry guns for years as I'm a lefty also.

You do know that only left-handed people are in their right mind, right? ;)

8. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    LOL...my Grandfather used to say to me all the time....

"Right handed people use the Left side of their mind.....and Left handed people use the Right side of their mind....so never argue with a Lefty, because they're always in their right mind!"......

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, wrmiller and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted