1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Never been to TR, on the list. However , in my other life a "run" was annually held in the Lakeview area. Beautiful country. I love that its sort of, well ok way, out of the way. Always one of my favorite places and runs to attend. Been looking at the TR schedule, this has increased my desire to schedule.
Well done, OP. And well done on representing with the T-shirts and 1911 in .45auto!!!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I am an API250 grad, but thinking of going to TR next June for the DH1 & 2 courses.

How much up-and-down was there in the class? We did a lot of that in the 250 course and I my knees can no longer take it.

Also, how many different ranges and simulators did you shoot on in DH1?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am an API250 grad, but thinking of going to TR next June for the DH1 & 2 courses.

How much up-and-down was there in the class? We did a lot of that in the 250 course and I my knees can no longer take it.

Also, how many different ranges and simulators did you shoot on in DH1?
I’m a Gunsite 250 grad and I took DH1 a little over a year ago, There really isn’t much up/down movement in DH1. In my class most of the participants had knee pads available but it’s really not necessary and I never used mine. My DH1 class had one or two exercises shooting from the ground (back on ground) but it’s a very small aspect of the overall class. I can’t recall if we shot from the knees but if we did, again it’s only one or two drills. I can also state that the staff is very accommodating if you are unable to do a drill. In my DH1 class we used the square range and the terminator. Here is my review of the DH1 class Thunder Ranch DH1 trip report

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I read your review. Do you remember how much you paid for 1k of the frangible ammo? I checked their site, but they are not selling it right now.

Now I need to find someone who has been to DH2...

·
Registered
70 Posts
As RMF308 said...everyone at TR is very accommodating. I did DH1 this past June and my experience was similar. FWIW...two weeks prior to the class I had 2 of the 14 screws in my left ankle removed. I was able to do everything requested, minus the grace and speed exhibited by my classmates. 😖

·
Registered
297 Posts
I read your review. Do you remember how much you paid for 1k of the frangible ammo? I checked their site, but they are not selling it right now.

Now I need to find someone who has bent DH2...
You should be able to order the ammo from their vendor and they will have it delivered on the first day of class in a large bucket. For 1000rds of the frangible it was about $400. I’ll send you some info via PM.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Now I need to find someone who has been to DH2...
I paid $560 for 1000rds of 45acp. Ordered directly from Sinterfire and had it sent to TR. There’s a link on TR website. Just checked it’s still listed at same price and 9mm is at $412. In normal times it would be a hard pill to swallow, but now it‘s a bargain. LOL.

As as others have said not a lot of up and down movement for DH1. Most of the work is on the main range at distances from 3-20 yards then some shooting time at the plate racks shooting from behind barricades. This was done in teams of 2 as a pre-stage for the shoot house where we went in as individuals with an instructor.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts