Tight safety??

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by firecatwilson, Mar 19, 2019.

1. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I wanted to swap out my ambi safety on my 2018 Tactical to a single. During my take down process I thought I must have been getting weaker with my old age, 39 is a bitch you should know, because I couldn't shake the safety free. It took a screwdriver as a pry bar to get this thing out. Reassembly was just as bad, it was so tight I had to use a rubber mallet to get the ends to join and sit flush.

So then thought I'd try my hand at gunsmithing (I've fitted a few triggers and succeeded, so I thought wth).... ended up taking off too much material and now the right side is sloppy (up and down) when assembled. I had ordered a STI single sided lever beforehand so I popped that in and it doesn't engage properly(Sigh). So I'm sending the whole pistol to STI to be have it properly fit along with a STI flat med trigger and a re-coat of DLC on the frame and slide. Costly process I got myself in.

Anyone else have tight safeties on their STI's?? I'm nervous to takedown my Marauder now (want a single on there as well)...

2. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Safeties need to be fit by properly trained smiths. If you haven’t ever done one previously then leave it to the pros. Especially if it’s a carry gun. Someone’s life will probably depend on it.

3. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Be very scared if a thumb safety ever "drops in"

Good call sending back to motherhood. I'm not STI savvy and there are several different styles of ambis on the market. . So I can't help you there. If it's the standard tendon style with wing under grip, one would think not much material would need removed. Tighter is better on the ambi. A touch of grease on reassembly does the trick on my Baer.

firecatwilson likes this.
  4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Man, as soon as I saw this I feared the following post.

I’m guessing your real name is Bubba? Just kidding but tight safeties are preferable. As with almost all things 1911/2011 safeties should be gunsmith fit.

I use an armorers tool from 10-8. It’s a great tool for working on any gun. http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Armorer-Tool.html

Also DLC is a super strong finish but taking a metal screwdriver will Bubba it.

firecatwilson likes this.
  5. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Haha yeah I definitely bubba'd it up, but I used some elec tape to protect the frame. They are going to recoat it under warranty, it had some spots on the slide where I could see bare metal. It wasn't because of my doing!

I've had single sided safeties go in and function properly on a few previous 1911's. It being a STI safety I thought it would work, but no. I was also surprised to see the bluing was poorly done and it would need some DLC to match anyway.

william adams likes this.