Tighten slide to frame fit

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Wyatt Withers, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Wyatt Withers

Wyatt Withers New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I have an older colt 1911 I bought back when I was younger before I could afford a custom 1911 which was a colt m1991a1 that I put Wilson combat, sti, Ed brown, and night hawk parts on to try to fulfill my desire for the gun I couldn’t afford. Well now later in life I have a Wilson combat 1911 I am sending back to them to get some work done to and as much as I love my old 1911 the only thing that I really find lacking is the slide to frame fit still is loose and literally will rattle if you shake it. I realize this is more of an ocd issue more than anything else but I was just curious how they would accomplish tightening the fit? Any input would be helpful :).

Attached Files:

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    You can send it to a pistolsmith and depending on how they do things, it can be welded up and milled, or it can be adjusted the old fashioned way.

I doubt anyone under the age of 45 or so actually knows how to do it the old way, so you'll likely get is welded and milled. If the welder knows what they're doing it won't destroy the heat treat or warp the frame.

Either way is gonna cost you though.

3. Wyatt Withers

Wyatt Withers New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply. I pieced this 1911 together as a labor of love and was one of my first 1911s so the cost of making it perfect to me is justified in my mind. I was just wondering what the process was of doing so. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out

wrmiller likes this.
  4. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Weld it up and refit or there is always acc-u-rail by Doug Jones he does great work.

5. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Weld up looks like brand new when done right. If it’s you’re ocd baby, I dont think you’ll be happy with other methods.

I had a loose one done a long time ago, it made me feel better about the gun, but it really didn’t shoot any better.

6. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Just put the slide in a vise .. Just kidding!!

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted