close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Time for a new 1911?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by John Ryder, Sep 10, 2011.

1. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I've been thinking over buying a new 1911 since I've sold off some pistols, but I'm totally stuck on which one is for me. Every time I think I have come close to deciding I swayed back to the other. Normally I can pick but I'm treating this as if it will be the only one I will get. I'd like to think I could sell off a few more pistols, but haven't had luck on the ones I want to get rid of.

So, I guess I could use some persuasion. I am thinking about a Wilson CQB, Guncrafter No Name. I have broken done the pros/cons.

Wilson -
    Pros - Exactly how I want in specs, I already own a Wilson so I know what to expect.
    Cons - Most expensive, already own one.

The thing with the Wilson is I know what I'm getting, so having two isn't a problem to me.

No Name -
    Pros - Better finish, highly spoken of, and?
    Cons - Never held or shot one to know if it is for me., and it wouldn't have the exact specs I'd like.

I think I'd like the NN, but I don't like buying sight unseen anymore unless I absolutely must.

I've seen this question asked before, but never saw quite what I was looking for as comparisons. I see some claims of the NN being fit better. I have to ask how so? What areas are fitted better? I'm not overly concerned with aesthetics, I'm concerned with performance and durability. This is where I really wonder how these two compare.

Just trying to get a push in either direction, though I'll make my mind up eventually. If I make sell a few more pistols, I won't have to make a decision.

2. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    I have both and prefer the Guncrafter.

3. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I've shot mine 1300 rounds in 3 weeks. Didn't clean till it passed 1000. Groups in an inch sized X ring from 15 yards off hand, which is the best I've ever shot. 100% reliable. Don't know what other insight I can share, other than I'm definitely buying additional GCs. Oh yea, I didn't mention this. I called them several times to familiarize myself with their product
    line, quality control, etc. Alex and David invest as much time on the phone as you need, and return calls the same day
    every time - these guys take great pride in doing the job right, and I'm 100% confident they stand behind their work.

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    hmmm, i'll trade Blayglock my KC for his NN, and trade you the NN for a CC :grin: And then I will sell Hokie my 9mm MilSpec for $10k. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  5. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I'm sure I'm splitting hairs between the two, I just like to think my potential purchases extra thoroughly now. My biggest concern with the NN is something only I can answer; some grip safeties don't work well for me, and I think GI uses one that doesn't work the best for me.

I don't know how much longer my black CC will be available, I'm getting to the point of preparing a spot in my safe for it to collect dust. I hate trying to sell stuff anymore, I hate dealing with people :frusty: Oh the emails I've gotten on my Pro are even worse...:frusty:

6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I can only imagine.

7. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I didn't even imagine the types of responses/questions I've gotten, CRAZY. I think people treat the Pro as if it were sacred. Oddly, and not surprising, lots of people don't even know what a Custom Carry is, yet the Pro is better :hail:.

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I've gotten to that point with selling as well. I don't like dealing with the gun buying public in general.

Also I really like that CC. If my No Name sells fast enough... Who knows. My colt build isn't going to be as expensive since I am going retro with it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I get so irritated with the questions I get anymore, but I always try to be polite even though I want to type something else.

My black CC will be available for the time being, but with each passing day I'm finding ways to fund what I want to buy.

I do have a nice "Retro" Springfield that I may list for sale too...

I have to get ready to pay for a custom Colt I had built that is almost done :eek: that's going to suck, which is partial why I'm selling stuff off.

10. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    What is your retro Springfield build like?

11. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    It's a pretty involved build, basically everything except the slide/frame and grips has been replaced. I can get all the specs or copy the build sheet, I'm just too lazy to type them all out now.

12. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Don't sweat it. I will appreciate seeing it whenever you feel like it. I'm trying to decide what all to fo to my Colt

13. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I just posted it up for sale here...good timing on my part.

14. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Sweet Build! I want to do something similar:

Gun in stock form. Pic from dealer, I dont have it inhand yet:

[​IMG]

Im going to get a Kart Easy-Fit 9mm barrel and fit it.
    Add either a 10-8 National Match Rear or Yost Retro
    Harrison Retro Hammer
    I will do a trigger job ect.

That is probably it for the time being. I will know more once I get it in hand.

15. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    You can't go wrong with a GC No Name. I bought both of mine sight unseen, without ever having held one and was not anything but totally impressed with both.

16. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011

Yeah, the NN is outstanding.

17. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    so i'll trade Blayglock my KC for his NN, and trade you the NN for the CC :animlol:

18. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    I actually sold my CQB to a buddy after buying a No Name. Here is where mine was better than Wilson:
    1. Crisper trigger.
    2. Melonite Finish
    3. Cheaper than a CQB
    4. The 15 lpi is amazing. Very grippy and does not hurt after a long range season.
    5. Look (subjective) but this pistol is all clean lines and style
    6. Heine sights > Wilson Pyramid sights (again subjective)
    7. Mine also has a serrated top & flush cut barrel which look very nice IMO.

Both are great guns. I think Wilson is backlogged quite a bit and going up in price all the time.

19. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I think I will look into a NN, but I have to recover from a Novak build that should be in this week. That's gonna hurt my wallet :eek:

Nah, I already played that game of trying for a trade. The CC will be an outright sale...IF it sells, and given my luck of selling, I dunno.

20. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    :rofl:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted