1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you guys use for coating barrels in gold titanium nitride coating? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bumping because I just did a search for this exact same question. I want to make my range toy Gucci (judge me, don't care).

·
The Tinker
3,372 Posts
The only TiN coated barrels I've ever owned were my Shuemann AET barrels that were in a couple of my competition pistols. Loved them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How well would they hold up in a 1911. Does the added thickness lead to fitment issues? Wear on the slide? Just curious before I end up ruining a perfectly fine firearm.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
PVD stands for Particle Vapor Disposition. It’s thickness is measured in microns not mils.

It is so hard that you will have problems milling it after it’s coated. IE do not coat the chamber of the gun in case it needs to be reamed.

There’s no downside to it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I guess my specific question is how does it holds up on barrels? Does it show wear after XXXX number of rounds. I shoot all my pistols a lot . I have 3000 + rounds on my new EDC X9. I do clean and lube my guns after every range session.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Starting at 1:37 in the video ....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the link! Though 600 rds. isn't a lot for comparison but the price he mentioned for finishing the barrel is reasonable if it needs to be done again.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
They had a special in February, $20 for any barrel under 10”. I couldn’t pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,766 Posts
I have a few clients with barrels coated in DLC (same process) that have 7000-10000 rounds with no noticeable wear. The vickers rating for hardness is very comparable at 1800-2100 With DLC reaching 2300. A TiN coat barrel will last several thousands of rounds. Like mentioned it's thickness is in microns, 1-5, I wouldn't shy away from coating the inside of the barrel if you had the barrel finish reamed first..and possibly throated. However as mentioned if you have an already tight chamber I wouldn't coat the inside. While it probably wouldn't pose a problem not a Chance I would take without verifying that first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts