1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a properly equipped professional shorten and bevel a slide stop...well, shorten I get, actually, just making the bevel even and the angle you want? How about a non-pro? I would think it would be hard to hold the stop on a grinding wheel and rotate it evenly, there must be some sort of jig you could make to hold it steady. Or is it just a case of slow, patience, marking, and files?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I used a belt sander.

Reactions: Cw1023

·
Christ is my front sight.
819 Posts
As an amateur, (let me stress the amateur part) I get decent results using a ball end mill to bevel the hole in the frame then mark the slide stop and file most of the material down, then use the concave end of a dremel grinding stone drum until I get the shape that suits me and it's even. Sometimes I use a flat end with a bevel and other times I round em out all the way.

20171123_120428.jpg
20170912_075554.jpg

·
Cogito ergo armatus sum
1,934 Posts
I really like the look of that.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ha, knew there had to be a fixture or two. Rocket man, I have used a gun that was just shortened and the hole left alone and was not sure I liked it. I have a very slight bevel and chamfer done now, was contemplating doing it myself. If anyone sells the lathe fixture I'd be interested.

·
Vendor
2,763 Posts
Ah ha, knew there had to be a fixture or two. Rocket man, I have used a gun that was just shortened and the hole left alone and was not sure I liked it. I have a very slight bevel and chamfer done now, was contemplating doing it myself. If anyone sells the lathe fixture I'd be interested.
Make a fixture using your lathe :)

1/2- 3/4 round stock with a .200 hole in it should work fine and reamed out slightly larger. That’s all mine is. Make it on your lathe. That way the hole will definitely be centered to your machine.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have a new Wesson with a shortened and beveled slide stop and I wish it didn't. While it looks 'cool' it makes it more difficult to take down.

·
Christ is my front sight.
819 Posts
Doesn’t have to be beveled / chamfered
No, Sir it's not necessary at all, but some do like the appearance of that particular modification, myself included. It can add a nice touch to a custom piece. Also it can serve a functional purpose. Some people cause their 1911s to lock up if they index their finger on an unmodified slide stop pin. A little pressure will cause the pin to move slightly and when the gun is fired the slide will lock back. I actually witnessed this on the firing line at Shootrite Firearms academy a couple of years ago. Was a strange occurrence but it happened more than once to the poor fella.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, especially Evolution Armory. I think I was making it harder that it is due to my lack of machining knowledge, but a guy that has a lathe and DOES know how is probably going to make a fixture and do it. My guns are just barely cut into the frame and the slide stop pin is flush or just barely protrudes. I've never seen a frame crack there but there is a lot I haven't seen so I'm conservative. The STI in this pic is radical compared to others I have or intend to have done.
I'm one of those left handed guys that can lock up a gun with my right thumb along the frame and a bit too much pressure, this cuts that out.

Attachments

·
NRA member
2,591 Posts
No, Sir it's not necessary at all, but some do like the appearance of that particular modification, myself included. It can add a nice touch to a custom piece. Also it can serve a functional purpose. Some people cause their 1911s to lock up if they index their finger on an unmodified slide stop pin. A little pressure will cause the pin to move slightly and when the gun is fired the slide will lock back. I actually witnessed this on the firing line at Shootrite Firearms academy a couple of years ago. Was a strange occurrence but it happened more than once to the poor fella.
You missed the point.

...which was that it can just be cut flush without chamfering the pin and/or hole.

The Wilson in my avatar is an example.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This shows how small a change I want with the frame, especially since this one is alloy.

Attachments

·
HS Custom LLC
712 Posts
A lathe...

Dave likes to laugh at me as I take my fixtures to the extreme when really they can be much simpler. Lol
This is what is great about working on stuff. There is always several paths to get it done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree with Dave on both points - 1. Lathe makes it easier and precise. 2. Trying to install a slide slop that does not have a bevel of any kind is a tough job!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Reactions: R0CKETMAN
1 - 20 of 21 Posts