Today in the Old West April 29

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    1872 The James-Younger Gang rob the Deposit Bank in Columbia, Kentucky. The bankteller, R.A.C. Martin, refuses to open the safe and is shot dead.

View attachment 258989

These heroes of the Lost Cause make off with $600 to $1500.00

th.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Acroyer, Kip, 41 Charlie and 14 others like this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Good morning @Scaramouche , and thanks for these threads. I am always fascinated by the "Old West", and it's colorful history. Good stuff!

KS95B40, ZoidMeister, 1L26 and 2 others like this.

3. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I’ll chime in on this one posting as I’m too familiar with that area. There is an oral tradition that follows that particular bank robbery in Adair County. (Today, the building has a metal plaque commemorating the history of the robbery).

This is the local tale that still circulates even to this day. The James boys made good their escape from Columbia. Just outside the little community of Cane Valley, KY, the gang came across a sobbing widow sitting on her porch. The gang came to learn she was the widow of a fallen Confederate and was about to loose her farm (foreclosure). She didn’t have the money to make good on the remaining mortgage and the lean holder was on his way to collect. The James gang gave her the money to pay off her mortgage when the lender came by after a bit. Then, of course, they robbed him on his way back to the bank!

At least that’s the old tale they like to tell around Cane Valley.

Kip, 41 Charlie, Glock2740 and 4 others like this.
  4. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    I like better that Issac Cravens, a young clerk at the Phillips & Bradshaw Company across the street, heard the shooting at the bank, he ran out with a pistol and fired upon these murdering bastords as they left. A bullet slug was later found in the door sill behind him just about the level of his head.

Kip, 41 Charlie, LPRoad and 2 others like this.
  5. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Columbia’s only other “claim to fame” (be that as it may), is the city cemetery is where Col. Frank Wolford is buried. Columbia is the county seat of Adair County - a quiet little agricultural/farming community. One of Kentucky’s 120 counties - only Texas and California have more counties.

Kentucky provided two 1st Kentucky Cavalry Regiments during the Civil War; one Union and one Confederate. Col. Wolford’s ‘Wild Riders’ belonged to the Union. Col. Wolford had a falling out with Lincoln (also a Kentuckian, by birth) over the enlistment of Africans into the Union Army. Wolford was arrested for anti-Lincoln speeches and pardoned by Lincoln (a couple of times). Wolford finally resigned from the Union Army after Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation. He remained “a Union man” throughout it all.

As I recall, the First Kentucky Cavalry (Union) did meet in battle, one time, the First Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). I don’t recall which battle.

Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Awesome history lesson Mouche. Didn't know that Kentucky was considered "West" in those days . . . . .

7. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    was never good with geography thank you for the correction, I've often said I'm not always right

8. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Great write up, mouche! Much thanks!!

Scaramouche likes this.
  9. Acroyer

Acroyer I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    $1500 in today's money would be about $31,000, if anyone was wondering (because I was!)

Kip, Dallas Knight and 41 Charlie like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted