close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Today in the Old West: Weak Sister

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:07 AM.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    November 13, 1914.

56674dc300255.image.jpg

Henry Starr withdraws $2,400 during a robbery of the Farmers State Bank at Glencoe, Oklahoma. The holdup is one of fourteen daring daylight bank robberies carried out by Starr between Sept 8, 1914 and Jan 13, 1915. Reportedly he's the first of a long line of bank robbers to use an automobile in the commission of his crimes.
    In 1915 he ends up imprisoned where he writes his memoirs. In 1919 he portrays himself in the silent movie, A Debtor of the Law.
    In 1921 he was killed during an attempted bank robbery in Harrison, Arkansas.

A_Debtor_to_the_Law.jpg

2. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 18, 2016
    Finally paid his debt. Thanks.

Kip and Scaramouche like this.

3. crayj46

crayj46 Knight Commander of the Order of Cabo Wabo Supporting Addict

Aug 12, 2017
    picture of the corpse looks like 18 wounds in the chest, double barrel 12ga with 00 buck?

Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  4. crayj46

Aug 12, 2017
    the corpse photo may not be his, the web states he was killed by 38-40 rifle

Scaramouche likes this.
  5. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I saw that also crayj, when ever I see these discrepancies I fall back on that Napoleon quote about history...something to the effect that history is the version of past that most people agree upon...I kept looking at that deceased photo and thought it might be one of the Doolins...but then I thought that the eye witness report of him being killed by a rifle might be questioned as well. Appreciate your interest.

Bro. Pappaw and xerts1191 like this.
  6. crayj46

Aug 12, 2017
    well, he was stomping around my part of the country back then and i just idly began looking. i can't tell you the number of times i've been in Harrison, Ar and had never heard of the guy. and was startled to read that Judge Parker had sentenced him to hang twice and he escaped the noose both times due to a "technicality" LOL

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted