Springfield Armory Too much extractor tension?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by vermilionbird, Jul 8, 2020.

1. vermilionbird

vermilionbird Active Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hey folks, I encountered an issue with my Springfield RO Elite Operator today. This has had a Wilson Combat reliability package and a wilson bp extractor fit by them. This is its first malfunction in 1140 rounds so I'm a little bummed that it appears I'm not entirely out of the woods yet with getting a totally reliable 1911.

I had one malfunction today where the round chambered but was sitting in front of the extractor so it couldn't go into battery. I was using Fiocchi 230gr FMJ, a 7rd Wilson 47 magazine, and this was the 2nd to last round out of the mag. Am I on the right path in thinking this is due to excessive extractor tension?

Previously, I've shot the extractor test with this gun and it has passed that over 24 rounds so I definitely know I don't have *insufficient* extractor tension. Anything helps, thank you all!

[​IMG]

Here's my log of rounds fired if that helps any:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Try it with something other than Fiocchi. I had terrible problems with it in a smaller caliber.

3. vermilionbird

Jan 4, 2019
    I know the answer! Polish the feedramp and quit limpwristing it!

4. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I agree with Fieldgrade

5. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Check the mag you were using when it happened to see if it’s releasing the rounds with less mag spring tension on them a little early.

Also look to see if the extractor’s clocking.

6. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    My experience with extractors is that they lose tension as the round count increases. I’ve never had to reduce tension on an extractor but I’ve increased tension at about 8K - 11K rounds.

HooDoo Man and vermilionbird like this.
  7. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    out of 1100 rounds, not significant enough to draw conclusions from IMO, keep blasting it
    if it happens again, could run through extractor field tests again, or inspect the malfunctioned round/case as well even the case dimensions. I had problems with my pro with 2 particular types of ammo it simply did not like no matter what I tried.

And get some 8 round mags for that bad boy!

vermilionbird likes this.
  8. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Active Member

May 6, 2020
    Since the round is in front of the extractor, it could also be an inertia feed. With that in mind, how old is the magazine and/or magazine spring?

Pedro likes this.
  9. vermilionbird

Jan 4, 2019
    I'm starting to think it's a magazine issue because everything else on the gun checks out okay. Tension is appropriate and nothing stands out to me. It'd be a bummer if it were the magazine because these are all relatively new Wilson 47 mags.

Now I just have to figure out which one it was because I had a brain fart and forgot to take note of the magazine number... kinda kicking myself for this one.

10. Green Dragoon

May 6, 2020
    I always bring a sharpie to the range to mark a magazine that had an issue. For me, I've experienced more inertia feeds with Wilson than with other brands. They have short feed lips.

I also always look at the magazine first as the culprit.

Don't get dissuaded.....you'll get it figured out.

11. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I love Wilson mags, but they do have a spring that fades with time and will cause slide to not lock back on last round and other things.

A Wolff extra power spring replacement cures the problem everytime.

Might be something to try when you find the culprit again???

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911 GOV'T PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#805

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Old Sea Dragon and Green Dragoon like this.
  12. vermilionbird

Jan 4, 2019
    @Green Dragoon yeah I'm really really frustrated that I took note of all the details except which magazine. The next time I head to the range (hopefully tomorrow), I'll be evaluating extractor tension first and then spending the rest of my time trying to recreate this malfunction with all of my mags (loading 3 rounds, firing the top one, seeing how the 2nd round feeds out of the mag) repeatedly to figure out which one it was and just chuck it.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  13. Green Dragoon

May 6, 2020
    I agree on the Wilson spring issue. Changing it is the first thing I do when I run into issues.

vermilionbird likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted