1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We Are!
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently acquired his carry permit and has begun experimenting with a few different handguns before picking a first one for training, extended practice, and carry.

He tried a Gen5 Glock 26, a Browning Hi Power, and a 1911 (a Les Baer Concept VI) today, all for the first time. He shot the Glock quite a bit better than the BHP before trying the 1911...and shot it dramatically better than the G26.

We will probably rent a few more selections for him to try, but I was quite pleased that the 1911 made such a strong showing for a relative beginner. The same thing happened with one of his sisters on an earlier range outing - she picked up a 1911 for the first time, and it was like they were old buddies.

Good times!

90E03325-0F5A-47F9-9C49-B5EAA139A622.jpeg
3F143AF5-AABF-43BE-A44F-15EF710AF0A7.jpeg

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,797 Posts
nice ;)

Reactions: WhoIsJohnGalt?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Awesome!

The Glock trigger is hurdle for many new shooters. I can remember putting in a lot of dry fire practice just to figure out how to pull the trigger without disrupting my POA.

Then I discovered the 1911 and was amazed at how easy they were to shoot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Very nice. Both my wife and my daughter are non-shooters, but every time I have dragged them to the range via bribery, deception, and/or kicking and screaming, they both gravitate towards the 1911 over anything else. We go and be miserable together about once a year, so that I know they can safely load, operate, unload, and generally safely handle whatever handgun is by the bedside or around the house. They like it over .38 SPL revolvers and all manner of semi-auto wonder 9mms.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,647 Posts
Sounds like your Son is all in. Glad to hear it! I couldn’t help but notice all the holes in the overhead. We have a similar range, and I’m mystified by some of our shooters. They not only shot up the overhead, but they shot up all the yardage number signs too. :)

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,103 Posts
I started shooting when I was 8 years old. My father and uncle took me out to a field somewhere in a park where people shot, and introduced me to handguns. I started out with a S&W 2nd Gen (I think) 9mm and the Model 28 .357 Magnum that I still have today. I loved to shoot the magnum loads. I shot the Model 29 once after plenty of .357 downrange, with my dad backing my up. I only needed to shoot it once. Those are great memories.

I hope to be able to take my 8 year old out to teach him shooting soon, but public opinion sure has changed in the past, oh, 43 years. I think I am going to start him out with the same magnum with .38 Specials to start, and the Beretta 92FS.

Now that I have made this thread about me, let me turn it back to you are say it is all awesome and makes me feel all nostalgic.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
great start to a lifetime hobby. good for you folks

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Excellent way to spend a day to be sure! There is something to be said for a gun that has been around for more than a 100yrs. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts