Tools for 1911's.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Okie, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    How picky are you about your tools you use to work on 1911's? About 2005 I had a Colt 1991A1 and I was at a gun show and I traded the Colt for a Springfield Loaded model. I had OD grip panels on the Colt and I told the guy I had to be able to keep them or it was a no deal. He said that's fine we can swap the SA's grip panels for the OD. I break out my Multi Tool and this guy went ape **** on me, he said you keep that ting away from that Colt I have some gun smithing tools to use. I stood there thinking what the hell is with this guy, my multi tool had a good quality screwdriver.:biggrin1:

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I have a cheap, but decent quality bit set and driver for my gun related tools. It has about 6-10 different sizes of flat heads, Phillips, Allen, and torx bits. I don't use them on anything else because I know they will wear out faster. All of the other gun, or smithing, related tools are as high quality as I can afford. That includes stones, ball hammers, rubber mallets, and so on.

Oh, and don't forget the $80 Dremel. :tongueout:

3. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm pretty picky since I only use my "gun" tools on guns. I learned long ago not to use a tapered bit screwdriver on anything with a slot in it on a gun.

I look at my Dremel as a household tool since I've used it more for plumbing repairs than anything else. (For example, if your wife breaks off the brass shower stand pipe flush with the elbow behind the wall and a pipe extractor just cuts into the brass, I found you can use a Dremel to grind away the walls of the broken pipe and collapse it inside the threads of the elbow to remove it. It earned me the title at home of "Gunsmith Plumber.")

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    The guy didn't know what condition your driver was in and probably just went into "default" mode. I pistolsmith does that to me all the time.. except in reverse.. LOL.. I will say.. I like slotted grip screws and I would probably panic if someone was about to use a a standard screwdriver. cartridge or other tool on them. Cheers.. Ron

5. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I have a pretty good set of tools for my guns, and you can never have too many drivers/bits.

When my mom was alive, every year she'd ask me what I wanted for Christmas and I'd always pick something from Brownell's catalog for her to order.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted