1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**Well I've decided to be a responsible adult and feel this isn't the time for an unnecessary expense so I'm going to pass on the Baer and keep the 5" Colt Gunsite, damn I hate being responsible**

.......I guess that's what makes me an addict? So I have 2 Colt Gunsite pistols-a pristine Commander Lightweight I'm the original owner of (on consignment at a friend's shop but still hasn't sold) and an also pristine Government I just got. Well hells bells I was just offered a Baer Custom Carry with single safety and no front serrations new in the box.

Aarrgghh!! The only way I can truly get the Baer is to move both the Colts. As I prefer 5" guns that part is easy to deal with. Sale seem a bit sluggish on $1k guns (I'd like $1000-$1100 for each).

What do I do??? Help!!! I can easily live with CGP 5" but I have such a weakness for Baers.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcons x 2 + 1 Shiney Heinie all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,038 Posts
.......I guess that's what makes me an addict? So I have 2 Colt Gunsite pistols-a pristine Commander Lightweight I'm the original owner of (on consignment at a friend's shop but still hasn't sold) and an also pristine Government I just got. Well hells bells I was just offered a Baer Custom Carry with single safety and no front serrations new in the box.

Aarrgghh!! The only way I can truly get the Baer is to move both the Colts. As I prefer 5" guns that part is easy to deal with. Sale seem a bit sluggish on $1k guns (I'd like $1000-$1100 for each).

What do I do??? Help!!! I can easily live with CGP 5" but I have such a weakness for Baers.

Sounds like a personal problem. I have the same problem. I like them all. Haha especially the ones being posted on here. However mine are not any where near as nice.

·
born in the wrong century
4,262 Posts
A Baer in the hand worth two Colts in the bush ????

That is a quandary with them both being the Gunsite models, too.

The Baer CC .45 I had remains...to this day....the most accurate handgun of any type or caliber that I've ever shot. No front serrations would be a very welcome omission.

Whew....you are in a tough spot.

Be sure to post up pics and range review of that new Baer when she arrives next week. ;) :) :p :roflmaro:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your Colts are very nice and nothing wrong with them, but I love Baer. The Custom carry with single safety and no front serration is great looking. I say go for the Baer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sell both Colts and buy the Baer. I’ve been through more 1911’s than I can count and one of the very few that will never leave is my Baer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sell the Colts and buy the Bear! I love the solid feel of the Bear. I am looking for a second one now.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A Baer in the hand worth two Colts in the bush ????

That is a quandary with them both being the Gunsite models, too.

The Baer CC .45 I had remains...to this day....the most accurate handgun of any type or caliber that I've ever shot. No front serrations would be a very welcome omission.

Whew....you are in a tough spot.

Be sure to post up pics and range review of that new Baer when she arrives next week. ;) :) :p :roflmaro:
Me too, Dub!

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Over the years I’ve had a few of both brands. The Baer is really nice, then again so are the Colt’s though the fit, while very nice, doesn’t compare to the Baer.

The Commander didn’t draw much interest online, hasn’t at the shop either. I would have to do the stupid ncic check to get it out of the shop to try again online. Since the one I just did took 8 days I'm not in any rush lol. Maybe someone will walk in to the store and decide it's just what they want!

Since the Government model has been fired, though only a couple mags by the prior owner I may need to shoot it myself before a final decision is made.

Thanks for all support and suggestions. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I see in the update you made the call to hold onto the Colts. I think it was the right decision. A couple reasons reasons why:

It's easy for we the addicted to obsess on what we don't have but that is in reach. I've done this often. What I've generally found is that if I scratch the itch, it's temporary and something else captures the imagination, and past a certain point, what I got wasn't so substantially better (if at all -- often just different) than what I already had to justify all the sturm und drang in the first place.

At there end of the day, a good gun is just a good gun irrespective of price-point -- they have more in common than they do differences and none -- everything else being equal -- actually ended up truly shaking the world compared to what I had before.

And there's a lot to be said for getting a few good things, appreciating and mastering them, and simply enjoying that.

I like Baers -- a lot -- but they aren't so significantly different or better (if at all) at the end of the day from your Gunsite Colts that I think it's worth the pinch to get one. If anything, I'd hold on to what you have and think about custom work from a good 'smith to suit your exact preferences.

I daresay one would see their money's worth more that way.

But the beauty of difficult decisions like these is usually there's no wrong answer -- certainly not in this case. ;)

·
What me worry ?
11,089 Posts
Imho, everyone should own at least one Colt ( the older the better)
That’s where it all began.
That being said Bears are a wonderful pistol ,a lot of value for the money for a pistol that shoots like a laser and soon becomes like an old friend .
Here ya go !
EC8D8B33-F2B7-434B-B375-2039605DBAFC.jpeg

I’m hanging on to this old timer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts