Toyota Tundra vs GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympus, Sep 21, 2020.

Which would you choose?

1. 2021 Toyota Tundra Platinum

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    Looks like it's time to buy a new truck. After my last three trucks have all been Ford F150s, I thought it was time to change things up a bit. I'm interested in hear people's opinions of both and what their choice would be. I would be getting the Tundra Platinum with the 5.7L or the Sierra AT4 with the 6.2L. I can get a new 2021 Platinum for $50k out the door or I can get a new 2020 AT4 while supplies last for $55k out the door.

I do some moderate towing. We have a small tandem axle camper that weighs 4000lbs and I also tow a 16ft trailer with my tractor, loader, and implement which I suspect weights closer to 7000lbs total. I only tow the tractor and stuff to my hunting property which is only about 25 miles from my house. The camper gets towed quite a bit, but usually only to places about 2 hours away or so. Aside from that, it's just daily driving really. I'm really on the fence between the two and just can't seem to decide. Mileage on the Tundra is not as good as the Sierra, even with the 6.2, but the Sierra with the 6.2 has to use premium fuel so I'm guessing it's about a wash as far as fuel cost goes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Bucket List likes this.
  2. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I prefer the GMC. For me the seats are more comfortable and the interior layout works better for me. When I was cross shopping trucks, after test driving all the ones I was considering, the Tundra was actually at the bottom of the list. Try em out and see which you actually prefer.

Series70 and Mtek like this.

3. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    I have a 2019 RST Silverado and love it I had a 2500 HD before that and rode like a wood wagon.

cgff and Series70 like this.
  4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    The award winning Ram 1500

Sorry! I’m a Mopar guy:o.o:

Gmanphx, Exhog, A34 and 7 others like this.
  5. Steve Zeitz

Steve Zeitz Member

Apr 12, 2020
    I voted for Tundra as I have a 2011 I bought brand new and it's been great for all that time. I love it. I've never owned a Sierra. When I bought mine I read everything I could find on reviews of service quality, repair costs, etc. and the Tundra was one of the highest rated. Again, long time ago. I also tow a large pontoon and I can certainly feel it, although it's never sluggish per se. I can just tell it's back there! And the pontoon acts a little like a sail. Good luck with your decision.

Bugs likes this.
  6. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Honestly, the only thing keeping the Ram from being a consideration is that stupid gear selector knob. I'm a man and I want a man's man's truck, not some cheesy, gimmicky selector knob that the soccer mom's SUVs use.

Uncle Bob, Dub, 1911fanatic and 4 others like this.
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I would have to agree with you on that, not a fan (my 13 still uses a shifter)

A34, Dub, DWdude and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Tundra without a doubt, the truck I would buy for the jobs you described.
    The quality Toyota puts out puts the big three to shame.

9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Owned a 2008 Toyota Tundra, Best damn truck I have ever owned. A friend has a newer Tacoma. The Tundras are just flat out great trucks. Horse power, pay load for hauling the whole 9 my truck never missed a step. And they hold their sticker value better as well. I had to sell mine cause I need cash to finish my house. With 78,000 miles it still sold for near $20,000 in 2012

10. cougartracks

cougartracks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I haven’t been impressed with GMs in the last 10 years after they hit 100000 miles. I have been in a lot of them. I feel like the Toyota’s are built to last and will hold up better in the long run. If you get new ones every few years this may not matter.
    Just my opinion.

simonp likes this.
  11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Sierra with the 6.2. My Silverado has it and that engine is great. You pay a premium for Toyota for what you get. They hold their value better though. The only thing you have to worry about with the sierra would be the trans. Know a guy that works at the local dealership and he said to avoid the 8 speeds. The 10 co- developed by Ford and gm is gtg.

12. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    That was kind of my impression of the F150s too. They are great at first, but all of three of mine have developed little issues. I'm currently driving a 2016 and it crapped out a water pump at 62k miles, just outside of warranty, it has intermittent rough idle that can't be diagnosed because it doesn't throw a code and I can't make it happen on demand, and it's started to get some transmission slip. Just rolled over 101k miles on it this week. I'd really like to keep my trucks to at least 125k miles, but I just don't have the faith in the current truck and figure it's time to move it on before something serious happens.

1911fanatic likes this.
  13. Bucket List

Bucket List Member

Sep 21, 2020
    I voted for the GMC, but that vote was not cut and dried; Toyota makes really good trucks. But, I went with the American brand, and the engine size is another vote in its favor, for me anyway.

14. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    What rear axle ratios are available, on the particular trucks you are looking at?

15. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    I have learned in this process that Toyota Tundra is actually the MOST made in America of all the trucks, with Chevy/GMC actually being in last. Tundras are all made in America and 73.5% of their parts are also made in America. So the trucks are not just "assembled" in America. Only 55% of GM truck parts are made in America.

Usp45ct, JM44, livinthelife and 10 others like this.
  16. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Tundra has 4.30. Sierra AT4 has 3.42.

17. cougartracks

cougartracks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Yep, GMs pour across the southern border in train cars.

If you want to go with something you can drive for lots of miles and not worry, Toyota hands down. The only real issue I see with the Tundra is they get very poor gas mileage but you don’t really drive a truck for the gas mileage.

simonp, july19, AGENT P and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I’m a die hard Ford guy. I have a ‘97 F250 that is an utter workhorse.
    If I were to buy a new truck, the Tundra would be my only choice.

2D1E7815-E6D3-4BCC-AEA2-32BAE4560191.jpeg

SW1911302, JM44, joerockhead and 5 others like this.
  19. Bucket List

Bucket List Member

Sep 21, 2020
    It figures. America has become fraudlant in so many ways, and that seems like another fine example. Call it a GMC, but make it in Mexico, or anywhere else but America.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  20. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Tundra. On my second one, the first one had for ten years, the only reason I sold it was I sat in a 2015 Tundra and bought that truck!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    HooDoo Man likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted