Toyota Tundra vs GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympus, Sep 21, 2020.

Which would you choose?

1. 2021 Toyota Tundra Platinum

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Scientists have tested the Chevy/GMC against the Toyota Tundras and have come to this very decisive conclusion.

C23A3133-5DE4-46DE-8216-D6C9019EC94B.gif

Folks. How are you going to question that kind of logic? :confused:

73AD0223-187E-43E7-9610-939F77377DC8.jpeg

FWoo45 likes this.
  2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Or you could just wait for the Tesla Cybertruck.

3. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Oh hell no! That facility they are bring to Texas will be feed by coop-power.

1911fanatic and Glock2740 like this.
  4. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    I have been very impressed with my ‘14 6.2L. I wish they still offered it in the half tons.

Last week, I used my 6.2L F-350 to haul a breaker on the flatbed and a Tekeuchi TL150 (11k lbs) in my dump trailer. Easy run. Some people freak out over some RPM, but it will do it all day long.

Do you still run the 5w-20 or did you switch to 5w-30 when Ford called for it in model year 2016 (same engine)?

5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thats funny right there.

6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Yes my truck has the afm crap, never turns on as I've got a heavy right foot. It does burn a bit of oil though. Never had to add oil between changes with my last two trucks. Only happened once with this one but still a good point. The 6.2 is a beast of an engine, the 3.6 ecoboost from Ford really is as well, neither truck has the brakes to keep up with the engine when towing to (or over) capacity though.

As far as the 8 speed tranny goes, mine does act a bit funny when I leave the house when it's cold but the OP would be getting the 10 speed. My old dodge 5.7 went through two trannies and 3 torque converters before I switched back to a Chevy. Got buddies with a new dodge and a new Toyota. Dodge has really come a long way from the days when the drivetrain was the only thing worth a **** in em. Nice rigs, wouldn't overlook em or fords. If made in America is a factor, Toyota as others have said does actually make the tundra's here. My old man swears by em. He doesn't get a new truck until the old one hits 500k. Literally, done it a few times in Yoda's. He writes notes on his hoods though and absolutely thrashes trucks. Just another tool, I wash mine at least twice a week. Different strokes.

1911fanatic and OldCuz like this.
  7. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    Right there is why the Tundra doesn't do as well on gas. But if you tow alot.......you'll be much better off with the 4.30 gear!

OldCuz likes this.
  8. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    @Cbzr1107 yes the paint is thin, I agree with your statement.

@nikerret , @retrieverman y'all are right. My cargo trailer doesn't have everything that I'm planning to put in it yet. Because of my truck limitations. My trailer is a heavy duty and can stand much more weight than I'm carrying now. When I got the Tundra I wasn't planning to pull anything. Then the need for one came about. I bought the trailer anticipating I would later get a diesel. I could probably get by with a 250 but I like having plenty of headroom just in case. Plus my company buys my truck. So the extra expense isn't an issue for me.

9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Since Obama bailed out GM and screwed all the investors I steer clear of Obama Motors.
    Stay with the Blue Oval or go for the Tonka Tundra.

fatbaldguy, Roehl and 1911fanatic like this.
  10. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I had a '16 or '17 Sierra (whenever they first switched to the previous body style) and a '19 Denali (newest style). The older Sierra was the best vehicle I've owned. For whatever reason, GM has messed quite a bit with the previously bulletproof 5.3 - some of which has already been discussed. My Denali had a hose failure that led to a brand new engine within 12,000 miles or so. It's been fine since, and covered by warranty, but I don't entirely trust it. I would assume they have some of the kinks worked out on the '20s. My dealer said they've seen more problems with the '19s than they did previously.

I like the Tundras, but they've been way overdue for a refresh and different engine options.

ak_in_ca likes this.
  11. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Headroom is never bad. This, though, is a complete game changer. If you don't pay for the truck or maintenance, there's less reason to buy a gas engine.

Barefootdog and OldCuz like this.
  12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Have you looked at the Nissan Titian?
    Great highly capable ,comfortable truck. Outstanding tow vehicle
    Gas or diesel , price is excellent and a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

nikerret likes this.
  13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Yeah but they're fugly.

Lou1, azpoolguy, Bender and 5 others like this.
  14. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    My thoughts exactly!

15. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    To me, that’s probably the best argument to actually BUY one. The other big names “refresh” and change engine options so much that’s why they have all these issues. Too much change for the sake of change and not enough time to perfect their product.

The current Tundra has been made since 2007 and that’s a long time assess and refine a product to the point where it probably can’t be made any better. They know all the issues, quirks, etc like the back of their hand now. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And the 2022 Tundra is already announced to be a new body style and while new engines. No more bulletproof 5.7L either. Because if this, I think 2021 is the absolute best time to buy a new Tundra.

I refuse to buy a turbo V6 in a truck. I just won’t do it. I would definitely consider the smaller Diesel engines in a half-ton, but with all the emissions BS they have to put on them and the cost increase for the motor, I would just rather have a bulletproof, naturally aspirated V8.

16. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    You make good points. I do a decent amount of driving in a day and while I like Tundras and the 5.7, I just can't justify the 5-7 mpg difference from what friends are telling me they're getting. That's just me, though - I don't haul/tow much. The bigger V6 EcoBoost actually makes sense for me, but I refuse to pay a premium for a Ford badge. My Denali was cheaper than any comparable Ram or Ford.

17. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I think whoever was at gm and designed the aztec, got fired and went to Nissan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou1, azpoolguy, Bender and 1 other person like this.
  18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    So are you ,and you don’t come with a 100,000mi Warranty ! :roflmaro::roflmaro:

Trashyshoots, HooDoo Man and FWoo45 like this.
  19. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Fuelly.com shows the 2020 Tundra averaging 14.4mpg with 92 users reporting their mileage. The 2020 Sierra with the 6.2 shows averaging 17.0mpg with 27 users reporting their mileage.

So for a guy who drives 15k miles a year, the Tundra getting 14.4 mpg at $1.78/gal versus the Denali getting 17.0 mpg at $2.28/gal, the Denali saves you $157.59 per year. So a little more than $13/month more in fuel for the Tundra. That’s hardly any fuel savings to speak of.

Stentor, cougartracks and FWoo45 like this.
  20. Barefootdog

Barefootdog Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2018
    This.......I will never go back to a gasser truck.

Never owned a Toyota truck....they always felt wrong on the test drive. Every GM I've owned (not many) broke. But its been a few years since I test drive a new truck.

Buy a truck with greater capacity than you think you will need. There is no substitute for displacement, torque and suitably sized frame and running gear.

The subject of trucks always create spirited threads.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    OldCuz and 1911fanatic like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted