Toyota Tundra vs GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympus, Sep 21, 2020.

Which would you choose?

1. 2021 Toyota Tundra Platinum

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    This right here!!! You should get the tundra. I know first hand, in the work trucks at my company. Diesels are great, but when they break, they go big. Part of that is the emissions and def and whatever else they have. I think that is why the company I work for is slowly switching back to gas for their f450’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Sample size of 2, but neither get 14.4 combined. They're closer to 11-13. My previous GMC with the early valve displacement (either V4 or v8) got better mileage, around 19-19.5, than my newer one with the multi-valve displacement. I'm averaging about 18 if I do my part. I was getting overall better mileage with the V4 vs. the multiple valve thing. I really preferred the old displacement system.

3. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I always look to Fuelly to get a real world idea on mileage for different vehicles. With a sample size of 92 trucks, I think 14.4 avg would be pretty accurate. I think the 27 truck sample on the GMC would still be pretty accurate. I’d like to see more people reporting, but I think that’s a good representation. And I know the AT4 gets 1 or 2 mpg less than the Denali due to the 2” lift.

4. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Interesting you quoted my post, but we completely disagree. I see no reason to buy a diesel, in most situations. For anything I have to pay for or any vehicle that can’t have much down time, the gas engines are the way to go.

For OldCuz, it makes sense to get a diesel as he isn’t paying for it and apparently isn’t in public safety.

My opinion is the new diesels are only good for situations where towing over 20k is done regularly and/or the vehicle will frequently be at very high elevations, where forced induction works much better than natural aspiration.

Our County shop has switched over to gas, in everything smaller than a semi, and have no regrets. Their maintenance costs (planned and unplanned) and down time have been cut significantly.

People can get pretty heated, on these topics. I genuinely don’t care what people buy. I am happy to share my experiences and research. My opinion is a diesel pickup is not “needed” in the vast majority of applications. If someone wants it, that’s great. I do have to laugh when I hear people bought the diesel to tow a jet ski or because gas is expensive. Most of the people I’ve heard trying to justify a diesel are bad at math.

Olympus likes this.
  5. hpguru

hpguru Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I have driven a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 6.2 for the last 15 years 4 different trucks. I have had no major issues. That being said none of them ever got more than 14.5 mpg which is the most recent, the other 3 were all 13.4 according to the onboard computers. I will add I have only ever ran 87 octane in any of them.

6. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    What year is your current 6.2L and do you know how much it weighs?

7. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    I started out looking at 3/4 ton diesel trucks originally and I had several close friends pretty much tell me the exact same thing. For my needs, a 3/4 diesel is way overkill. As a daily driver, I think I would quickly tire of the size and turning radius. Cost initially plus maintenance on a diesel is what keeps me from buying one also. Yeah they’re cool and yeah there are kinds of “tunes” you load to get crazy performance. But that’s not for me.

8. hpguru

hpguru Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    current truck is 2015 and weighs around 5500

nikerret likes this.
  9. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    My truck is a work truck. I bought it to put heavy stuff on and pull heavy stuff. It does that. I don’t need fancy, I just need functional.

Overall, I’m seeing more and more gas engines in HD trucks.

10. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    Thanks. Is this a crew cab?

11. hpguru

hpguru Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Yes, crew cab Denali with the short bed.

nikerret likes this.
  12. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    OP, Olympus,
    Great thread,
    I voted Tundra, just a tough truck. MPG in my thought is the only downside, those of us that drive trucks usually are not looking at high MPG as a deciding factor.

I’m Also looking, A Tundra SR5 4wd is on my short list.
    Current ride is a Silverado 1500 RC SB. WT. 5.3
    41726922-CB6B-475C-8C78-2D35500FD372.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Get the tundra, everyone I know with the new GMC/Chevy is unhappy with the fuel management system in the new ones. My best friend has already had to have his 6.2 motor replaced under 8k miles and GM was a total **** about the whole thing. The friends I have that work in sales have all said to hold on to my 2016 Sierra Denali because there are so many issues with the new motors fuel management system and the infotainment system. Id steer way clear of GM until they fix those issues.

The Toyota is pretty much bulletproof with excellent resale value all my friends that own them absolutely love them. My only gripe with them was the really poor gas mileage but at least you don't need to feed it premium gas like the GM. Im a GM lover through and through have owned at least a dozen of them but if I was to buy a new truck right now it would be the tundra.

In the city my 6.2 gets around 14mpg but on road trips highway I average over 20 and have gotten up to 26 with cruise control on.

obligatory truck pic 905.JPG

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    FWoo45, Speedy396, Stentor and 4 others like this.
  14. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    I have always liked Chevy and GMC as looks go. I've never had a GMC but a couple or three Chevy's and a couple of Suburbans. The LTZ Suburban was my favorite. I've never had a Dodge but I know that they are a popular choice nowadays.
    But you are asking about a Tundra to a Sierra. Depends on how long you plan to keep it I think. If you plan to put much over 175K or so I say get a Tundra. If not then drive both back to back. Park one beside the other and make your choice. Long term the GMC will more that likely cost more to own because of repairs. But maybe that's not an issue. My Suburbans had well over 100k when I got rid of them. The 2006 LT wasn't too bad, but the 2008 LTZ was. But it was worth it to me as I liked the looks and it drove and handled great. My Tundra has been the most reliable truck I've ever had hands down.

cgff, 1911fanatic and Olympus like this.
  15. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    For $56k why not just get a Ford Raptor Crewcab....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TW85, FWoo45, cgff and 2 others like this.
  16. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Because I can't make myself drive a V6 truck, period. I was behind one the other day in traffic and the guy got on the throttle after a stoplight and it sounded like a Honda Civic with an exhaust. To each their own, but I definitely won't be buying one.

ak_in_ca, Stentor and 1911fanatic like this.
  17. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    That's actually a fair point. For me, it's 450hp twin turbo and gets improved gas mileage and i love the ride with the fox shocks but yeah, sometimes i wish it was a V8.

1911fanatic and OldCuz like this.
  18. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    I was almost ready to install a supercharger on my Tundra a while back. But I can't afford the tickets I'm already getting now. Lol

1911fanatic likes this.
  19. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    That’s just the thing. LS engines will easily go past 300k, I’ve seen many examples. But gm did what gm does best, ruin a bullet proof engine with afm/fuel bullish!t. If I could go back to 2017, when I bought my 14 Silverado, I woulda gone Toyota all day everyday. Am I happy with my truck, yes for the most part, but it irritates me that I will have to pour money into it when it looses number 7 lifter. At that point, the heads will be off, and it will cost a bloody fortune.

It is close to paid off, so I will keep driving it.

If you want mpg through the roof drive a Honda Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy396 and OldCuz like this.
  20. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    My only real problems with my 2008 was the trans. The transmission cooler is located inside the radiator. Lol. Mine ruptured and the radiator coolant intered my transmission. Of course that wasn't pretty, or cheap. About 3,500 to repair if I remember.
    But the engine was great.

cgff and 1911fanatic like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted