Toyota Tundra vs GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympus, Sep 21, 2020.

Which would you choose?

1. 2021 Toyota Tundra Platinum

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    That’s cool. But will it have any torque below 9 grand? That’s seems to be my impression of Ford v8’s. No torque below 4500 rpm. That is really annoying.

Maybe that’s just me perception, but the hemi and LS spank the Ford on low and midrange torque.

I’m speaking of naturally aspirated v8’s here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jaypap

jaypap Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2019
    I've got a 2004 Tundra bought it brand new, never had a problem. I thinking about buying a new one now. But its still going strong and drives great so its hard to replace it.

azpoolguy and cgff like this.

3. tightloops

tightloops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Last 3 trucks were Silverado's. 2 1500's and a Duramax, call me a slow learner,,,, the new truck is the "New" Ram 1500.
    I actually had another Silverado on order. While I was waiting for it, I drove the Ram,,,, I now own the 2019 Ram!

FWoo45 likes this.
  4. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    You care more about what CEOs get six figure bonuses each year as opposed to what brand gives more jobs to middle class families and puts more revenues in American towns? I guess we disagree on what’s more important.

Stentor, team101 and RIS like this.
  5. R J Ryals

R J Ryals New Member

Oct 31, 2019
    I had several Ford trucks when I was younger. But I recently fell in love with a Chevy Silverado. I would go with the GMC.

6. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Good luck. You might make sure you have that lined out, before you get the truck.

7. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    We could go back and forth a while over this but I'll spare everyone.

Same as above. Much more to it than what you think. I use to be in the auto industry.

Yes, I have it covered. Not worried about the warranty or passing inspection. Wont be a problem for me.

8. MARK 1911

MARK 1911 New Member

Mar 2, 2020
    while I own a GMC 3500 AT4....let me just say you have an awesome looking truck. Congrats

FWoo45 and Cbzr1107 like this.
  9. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    It’s all good @OldCuz! My wife drives Mazda.

OldCuz likes this.
  10. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    I'm going to double-down on my recommendation to get a 2500 series truck, instead of a "half-ton". The gas engines in the GM and Ford heavy duty pickups are in another class over the half-ton options.

GM has a new (been out over a year) 6.6L gas pushrod engine. The only thing that makes it "new" technology is it has direct injection and an advanced oil system. This is a good thing as all the fuel saver crap is not on it. This engine replaced the tough as nails 6.0L that was twenty years old and known for running forever. By now, this engine should have shed most of its growing pains (I didn't hear of very many). The only bad thing is the transmission is a six speed. This really doesn't rate as an issue, to me, but will cost you some fuel (so will the fact it's made to do much heavier work than a half-ton).

Ford has two very excellent gas engines. The "base" 6.2L SOHC is an absolute beast and is in its second generation. I have a 2014 (first generation) that sits in a crew cab chassis cab dually with a ten foot flatbed. The truck, empty, is nearly 9k lbs. I use it commercially to pull a dump trailer that often weighs 15K. The second generation develops more torque at lower RPM than mine. While I would never turn down more power, my truck has impressed at every opportunity. This engine is void anything related to fuel saving technology, other than being SOHC. The cool thing about the six speed transmission, in mine, is it's almost identical to the tranny in the diesel. Only a couple of small parts are different. Since it's running less than half the torque of the diesel, these transmissions are barely working.

Ford also has the new (over a year old) 7.3L and a 10-speed transmission. This combination is getting rave reviews. It makes around 400 tq's off idle. I haven't got to drive one of these, yet, but likely, it will be in my replacement truck, when it comes time.

Any of these, in a 2500/F-250 truck would be my pick, over ANY half-ton. It's at least worth looking at.

The reason I left Ram off my list is ALL of the V8 truck engines have cylinder deactivation. I just cannot get behind this system as I've seen too many problems. The County shop got one, in a Ram5500. So far, it's been fine, but it has only had one oil change. They got it to pull a new hydrovac trailer that has only been used a couple of times. Other than that, it's been used to dolly trailers and "small" parts around. However, my experience with the 5.7L, in LE patrol trucks has not been good. Runs great, until you need a new engine.

11. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    I didn’t put words in your mouth. Don’t put words in mine.

Lineman1982 likes this.
  12. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    I was referring to the EPA and other regulatory agencies putting a hurt on people who do this service.

13. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    I would hear more about this and see as many pics as you cared to post. Just saying.

FWoo45 likes this.
  14. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Can’t speak to the power but it’s going to be a beast.

Scaramouche likes this.
  15. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
  16. 13Ghosts

13Ghosts New Member

Nov 17, 2017

17. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    You said you cared more about where the profits go. I’d argue where the profits go has far less effect than where the actual jobs are located and how many jobs there are.

OldCuz likes this.
  18. 13Ghosts

13Ghosts New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    No to the Tundra based on your towing requirements. Massive transmission issues on the Tundra since 2008. They might be ok if only using as a car.

Lineman1982 likes this.
  19. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Those guys always crack me up with their tests. The road to the annual shoot is worse and I do it in a Subaru. Having said that, I’ve thought about a truck lately so this thread interests me. I can’t see spending $50000 on a damn truck! Give me a few year old 4X4 with A/C and cruise and a stereo. No way these things should cost more than 25 or so.

cgff and Trashyshoots like this.
  20. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    As far as American made goes, here’s my take. There is a factory in America that makes something. Like my car. All those people have jobs in the US. I supported thousands of people in Indiana when I bought my car. Some fat cat in Japan might get a nice bonus at the end of the year? I don’t care. There are families that eat because of that factory.

cgff, limbkiller, Olympus and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted