Toyota Tundra vs GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympus, Sep 21, 2020.

Which would you choose?

1. 2021 Toyota Tundra Platinum

53 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
  2. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    This is boring, but he makes good points. I’m a Toyota fan.

OldCuz likes this.

3. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Just for fun. 100 horsepower!

cgff, azpoolguy and OldCuz like this.
  4. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Am I the o lot one sickened by the fact that my ideal truck only costed $10000 a few years ago? Jeez. What happened? Now it will cost me $38-50?

cgff and azpoolguy like this.
  5. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
  6. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    I understand. I'm in a very unique position though. I can tint all my windows as dark as I want, take off my cats if I wanted to and pretty much do whatever. No worries about passing inspection. But in saying all that I try to be level headed in whatever changes I make.

Exactly.

I've put 180K miles on my 2015 Tundra and I pull a 8,000 lb cargo trailer. No issues as of yet.

7. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I have yet to find anything that supports that. Can you share some sources ?

Stentor likes this.
  8. RangerRRP

RangerRRP New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I would buy the Toyota Tundra. I currently own a 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. In the past I have owned Chevys and GMCs, all good vehicles. While serving in Afghanistan 2002 - 2003 at various times I drove a Toyota Hilux pickup with right-hand drive, and a Toyota Land Cruiser with Diesel engine. They were high mileage vehicles but always worked in severe conditions. Since then I have owned two Toyota 4Runner Limiteds with excellent reliability and great trade-in value. My oldest son owns a 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, his GF a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, and my youngest son a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road.

6E49B785-4001-4F50-9162-728FF0E5C13C.jpeg

cgff, Ted A Mc, OldCuz and 2 others like this.
  9. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Domestic automakers employ 2/3 of auto workers in the US. How do you figure they don’t support domestic jobs? All my Ford trucks are out of Dearborn, MI and there are many other Ford plants in Michigan alone, not to mention the rest of the country. To say that they don’t support domestic jobs is a ridiculous statement.

10. Barefootdog

Barefootdog Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2018
    You're so correct. My first new from the factory full size 4x4 was $12,000 +-.

Today you spend $38,000 for a truck and its a turd with crappy tires. $55-$70,000+ for a decent to well equipped 3/4 ton diesel 4X. And for that kind of money you don't even get a tug and a squeeze...Just not right..

cgff, OldCuz and 1911fanatic like this.
  11. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    Now who’s putting words in someone’s mouth? I said Toyota supports MORE domestic jobs than the other big 3. Never once did I say the big 3 don’t support domestic jobs. I just said Toyota supports more.

12. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    As of February of this year, Ford is the largest employer of auto workers in the United States with over 50,000. Toyota is about 30,000.
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-many-people-does-ford-employ/

Lineman1982 likes this.
  13. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Why do these threads alway turn into a pissing match?? Let’s discuss trucks, not who is employing who.

I still vote tundra. I bet they don’t use oil like my Chevy or work truck ford. The ford is a 2020, 7.3L gasser. I don’t own it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryH and OldCuz like this.
  14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I wish we could get the Toyotas offered in Africa , Australia the Middle East and The Dominican Republic.

I rode in some Tundra and Tacoma sized, solid front axle, diesel Toyotas in Africa that were awesome.

livinthelife, nikerret and OldCuz like this.
  15. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    It's in our blood to be competitive, arguementive. :rage:
    Lol...

But getting back to trucks. I'm not a fan boy of any one make. I guess I'm shallow, but looks has always been at the top of the list. Then everything else. Now I pay more attention to quality while still wanting a good looking truck. Except when I got my tundra. Looks took a back seat this time.
    In Dec. 2014 it was time for me to get a new truck. My mind was pretty much set on a GMC HD 2500. I was to meet a salesman I know of to show me a GMC. He worked at a Toyota dealership that was part of a large group of different makes. He was busy when I arrived and gave me the keys to a Tundra Platnum to look at until he got free. He had already tried to sell me on a Tundra and I said he was wasting his time. To me the Tundra was butt ugly and I'm still not a big fan of how it looks. So, he got free and when he came out he said get behind the wheel and drive us to the GMC dealership. But we'll take the long way. He's a salesman. It was a very curvy road with hills. This thing didn't drive like all the other trucks. It was tight and very responsive for a truck. We didn't make it to the GMC dealer. I ended up getting a Limited 5.7 with extras besides the standard options. I told him the truck was still ugly as hell but I'll be inside so maybe it won't be too bad. He said it would eventually grow on me. It has somewhat. Now I have my eye on the Ford Super Duty. I'd probably get another Tundra because of how it drives and all but I need more truck. But anyone in the 1500 light duty truck market owes it to themselves to drive the Tundra. :) Looking at Ford F350's in another window on my PC right now. :joyful:

cgff, 1911fanatic and azpoolguy like this.
  16. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

Meh,......don’t see anyone pissin, just some spirited conversation

1911fanatic likes this.
  17. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    It is better, at least for me. I had a '13 F-150 with the 5.0L, '15 & '17 Silverados with the 5.3L, and currently have a '19 Sierra with the 6.2L and 10-speed trans. I averaged 20+ mpg with the previous (3). The Sierra has a little over 15K miles on it and is averaging 19.8 mpg overall. I haven't reset it since I drove it off the lot. The rolling 400 mile average is 21.6 mpg as of this evening. The best it's been is 22.6. I routinely get 22-24 mpg on the highway. I've touched 26 once. A friend has a Yukon XL with the 6.2. He's told me he gets 22 mpg.

cgff likes this.
  18. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Are these 4wd models?
    That’s some great mileage either way.
    But, I can’t get my head around a 6.2 getting 22mpg. Maybe if driven 55 on the freeway?

19. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Yep, all 4WD. I usually set the cruise, when I use it, at 72 on the highway. 68 to 72 seems to be the sweet spot. I'll run 57-60 on 2-lane roads around here. I don't tow anything and am a fairly smooth driver. Recommended tire pressure is 36. I run mine at 38.

20. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Wow..... that’s amazing. I’ve always ran tires a few pounds high. A 50% fuel economy improvement is huge. But, the price of new trucks just really kills me.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted